out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
Jones Lake

Here's another little trip report.
The last two weekends my wife and I just needed to get out of town, and didn't want to travel too far, so we loaded up to go to a BC hydro controlled lake for a little R&R and fishing.
I am going to say we are the first to camp up here this year, not many tire tracks in general and no evidence of new fires.

The road up to the lake is in good shape, some times it is impassable, but lately some logging company is keeping it open. The first weekend was a bit early, with the snow pretty thick in many areas.

2011%20jones%20030.jpg

Ramp onto the bridge had a nice hole about six feet deep.
2011%20jones%20032.jpg

We found our spot and set up camp, whipped up some fire wood and got that going.
2011%20jones%20082.jpg

The lake right now is low and filling up, but all the stumps are now exposed so its not the prettiest setting. This lake is close to civilization and the summer can be very busy, the last two weekends we were up was great, no one except us, I guess the road keeps most people away too. First weekend we got skunked as far as fishing.
2011%20jones%20051.jpg

This kind of fishing is what I call lazy fishing, stick a hook with a worm out there and wait.....I am more of a fly fishing guy, but this is a good way to just hang out and have a drink, the dog likes this kind of fishing too.
2011%20jones%20131.jpg

On the second weekend we did better, I landed a 2-3 pounder, and my wife got several small ones, and it was much more activity, they lake had risen about 2-3 feet over the week.
2011%20jones%20238.jpg

westyss

Explorer
The lake is surrounded by mountains, and at the far end is a glacier that is constantly sending rocks and avalanches down the mountain, this echo's around the valley and through binoculars is an impressive thing to see.

2011%20jones%20155.jpg

On one of my exploring trips I ran into some bones, it took me a while to talk myself out of thinking these weren't human bones, but looking closer at them it seems silly to think that they would be, what an imagination
2011%20jones%20118.jpg

On the second weekend while walking checking out the bones again I found the rest of the deer, here's the lower jaw, he looked after his teeth.
2011%20jones%20182.jpg

Climbing out of the camp spot.
2011%20jones%20137.jpg

Stopping along the way to check out another often busy camping area.
2011%20jones%20259.jpg

And getting more familiar with the FG in different conditions. So far its capabilities have not been tested by me, but am slowly trying different things.
2011%20jones%20267.jpg

2011%20jones%20270.jpg

On the way down the trail we ran into these guys in this slightly modified truck, i believe they run this in a competition of some type but am not sure, very cool vehicle.
2011%20jones%20277.jpg

westyss

Explorer
here's a couple of iphone pics from today with my other expedition vehicle,
The lake will fill up to the tree line.

jones.jpg

In this pic you can see the sandy delta fan in the lower left, we camped further to the right of that spot, almost as far as you can drive.
jones%202.jpg

Billhilly

Adventurer
Nice shot's Yves. Nice to be able to 'beat the crowds' as it were. You've got a great asset in that camper. Fantastic you can just 'get away'.
The scope that you have 'to get away from it' in BC alone is staggering. We used to fish Ideal Lake etc east of Kelowna when I was working up there. Good times.

westyss

Explorer
Thanks for the link. I like the light.

Light update; this light is a great addition to my camper, I like the fact that its LED, and a nice bright LED, the motion detection is great, we sit at the fire and its nice and dark, when we need to go inside to make another cold beverage, get up and the light turns on to pave the way. It doesnt go off with the dog roaming around. Two thumbs up for this unit.

westyss

Explorer
thanks, I had some great comments to go with that picture but lost my train of thought.

Last edited:

AceRider

I sent you a message after seeing a picture of your setup in another thread what "brand" of manufacture your box was - then I found this and learned it's a Westyss....

It's brilliant and makes me fantasize like an 11 year old boy in the Hot for Teacher video.

Are you an engineer/mechanic? How did you get these fabrication skills?

westyss

Explorer
Oh man, I answered your Pmail thinking that you meant the Rubbermaid storage box, so disregard my pmail, the camper box is my design and build.

AceRider

Rubbermaid - that's a good one!

What about the last part of the question above - what is your background that you have the skills to do this? This isn't something you start on a whim and learn as you go.

Also, is the composite material strong enough to walk around on the roof?

westyss

Explorer
I was trying to avoid that question, I am a pilot, but used to be a contractor and have worked previously in the manufactured home and RV industry. I had no experience with composite materials, all I had was an idea, and pushed it through, so I guess i did learn as I went.
The composit is very strong, walking on the roof is no problem at all, up or down. The walls are a little thicker and a little stronger having an extra thin layer of glass in the middle. The material could be alot thinner in general, I cant imagine needing the strength of this material in the outside world, I really dont worry about bashing through the woods with this thing.

lugu

Its not Nida Core, its a composit made in British Columbia to specific sizes.

I can't see where I missed it, but is there a website or contact info for the honeycomb manufacturer? I work in the aviation field and have access to aircraft grade honeycomb just not to the budget to afford it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears