out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
Mounted the bed supports with some fancy bolts (fancy to me ) I like the look of these things. This rail still needs a final sand and coat.

DSCF2992.JPG

Also have been fiddling around with the table support, it was a bit of a struggle to get a table support that would fit the geometry that I needed, There aren't many options that will go low enough without protruding below floor level, this is one of the only ones that would work, what made it difficult was the thickness of the mattresses to be used, we have been using a six inch mattress and we really like it so that will be it.

These next two pics are obviously in the down position.
DSCF2996.JPG

The size of bed that this makes is a couple inches narrower than a queen size bed.

DSCF2997.JPG

And up, this particular pedestal has a gas powered cylinder to help raise the table.

DSCF3002.JPG

Side view, neat contraption and feels solid.
DSCF3003.JPG

I have two sliders on top of the pedestal and mounted to the table to be able to slide it forward when sitting down or when we are using the two single bed set up and watching movies we can slide the table top forward and keep our adult beverages close at hand.
In these pictures the top of the table had a roller bearing circular lazy susan slide thinking that we could rotate the table also but that has been removed, it was just not solid enough and I also felt that we didnt need it, it was a cheap test run anyway.

Made up the doors for the foot well area under the table,
closed.
DSCF3008.JPG

open.
DSCF3009.JPG

So for the most part the bed area is complete as far as construcion goes, still need to put the makeup on it to pretty it up a bit.
DSCF3013.JPG

I was really avoiding installing the remaining drawers, they were taunting me and I was running away scared, those are the things that screwed my back up!! But in the end I have finished installing them and I finally showed them who was boss.
Next on the agenda is ordering foam for the bed and cushions, and starting the electrics and plumbing.

westyss

Explorer
Just be thankful you are both smarter than me! I'm not even going to tell you how many years ago I thought it would be a good idea to buy a rusty, worn out '72 GMC 4X4 truck to rebuild as a work/play vehicle. I'm now 'a number' of years into this project, multiple times over budget, and my two girls are now teenagers! I was elbow deep in rebuilding diff's and transfer cases I think, and told myself I'm not going to ever build a camper!
Then I saw Sonke's camper, then your's Westyss, and now your's Pods8. Hard sided pop up's would be perfect for NZ summers! So while my girls do homework in the evenings, I draw plans for our camper, on our unfinished truck. The girls think I should concentrate on finishing the truck first....
Keep up the great work guys.

That sounds like my house, bought it with the intent of renovating it and flipping it, that was eleven years ago!! And I havent done a thing to it! Oh well, I am not the president and founding member of the procrastinators club for nothing.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looks great Westyss. I have been following along on Overland Canada, just now found this here on Expo. Read from end to end...love this rig, very nice work and attention to detail.

Any grand plans for a long term expedition or big travel plans? I don't remember reading that anywhere on either site (other than the cross Canada trip that is)?
Cheers'
GregB

westyss

Explorer
Looks great Westyss. I have been following along on Overland Canada, just now found this here on Expo. Read from end to end...love this rig, very nice work and attention to detail.

Any grand plans for a long term expedition or big travel plans? I don't remember reading that anywhere on either site (other than the cross Canada trip that is)?
Cheers'
GregB

Well greg, we are planning a two to three month Mexico trip for next winter and whenever I can semi retire we will start on some longer trips. Central and South America for sure but I really like travelling in Canada too so another cross Canada trip will be made but longer. Whenever transiting through the USA I will take some time and visit the many great spots there too, just soooo many places to go!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Well I would most certainly recommend the "White Rim Trail" in Canyon Lands National Park, near Moab Utah.

It is amazing, and the sights are something else. Just be sure to check the map for the camp sights. You have to reserve them well in advance, and some of them are only a few miles down the trail. IE a 90 mile trail if you get to your camp after just ten miles that means the second day is going to be a long long day. :)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Well greg, we are planning a two to three month Mexico trip for next winter and whenever I can semi retire we will start on some longer trips. Central and South America for sure but I really like travelling in Canada too so another cross Canada trip will be made but longer. Whenever transiting through the USA I will take some time and visit the many great spots there too, just soooo many places to go!

Sounds like a good plan!! Mexico is nice and warm, great place to spend a winter I bet!!

pods8

Explorer
Sidebar question: How do you like those fuso tail lights by the way? I need to get a setup for my flatbed and the fuso ones look decent. Is the backup decently bright, etc? I can get a set of take offs for $60 with brackets and I assume they're weather sealed since they're normally exposed.

Evaluating that verse other stop turn tail lights and/or potentially separate brighter reverse lights.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Given that I have a Fuso too, I guess I could comment on the rear lights...
The OEM reversing lights are to let someone else know you are going backwards; they are not really designed for illuminating the area behind you so you can see where you are going in the dark.
In my opinion, install something like a LED light bar and hook it up to the reversing circuit. I would also have an independent switch so that the light bar could be switched on by itself. Many people do this as a light source for setting up camp at night.
You might also want to consider simply using LED tail lights.

pods8

Explorer
Given that I have a Fuso too, I guess I could comment on the rear lights...
The OEM reversing lights are to let someone else know you are going backwards; they are not really designed for illuminating the area behind you so you can see where you are going in the dark.
In my opinion, install something like a LED light bar and hook it up to the reversing circuit. I would also have an independent switch so that the light bar could be switched on by itself. Many people do this as a light source for setting up camp at night.
You might also want to consider simply using LED tail lights.

Generally what I suspected on the reverse lights part, figured I'd end up doing secondary switched reverse lights if I wanted good illumination. Is it accurate that the light units are sealed up or no? Generally speaking for use under a flatbed those fuso lights are decent looking in my opinion (amber/red/reverse all separate and visually okay looking) and getting a pair new take offs for $60 seems reasonable. Any further input on your end since you've got first hand experience?

LEDS: lots out there, generally though you're either looking a buying a $120 pair to cover stop/turn/tail/reverse in one smaller housing or 2-3 separate lights ($15-20 a pop) on each side to handle that and making/buying brackets group them up, etc. Since these are running off the normal truck I'm not worried about the power savings of LED specifically (and normal tail lights done usually chew through bulbs either). The idea of the fuso lights already definitely meeting DOT regs and just mounting two known housings had some appeal at the moment verse piecing something together.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I do not know what IP rating they would have, but I had a look at my OEM tail lights today and they seem to be pretty well sealed up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior