Outstanding video comparing wide versus narrow tires

rruff

Explorer
That guy does a lot of good research! It's a shame that he didn't have a narrow KM3 to test as well, since it's obvious that there is more than width influencing vertical deflection.

I'd also love to see a vibration measurement while going over the same section of road with different tires.

rruff

Explorer
We all know with every "upgrade" in tire size we see a drop in gas mileage.
Nope. Rolling resistance definitely trends lower with greater diameter and width, all else being equal... but aero drag will tend to go up... even more if you add a lift at the same time.

The added casing flex and longer contact patch he showed for the narrow tire, means more hysteresis and drag.

craig333

Expedition Leader
My Jeep is rated at 75hp so in addition to all the other reasons its easier to turn a skinny tire. I don't have wide tires on the truck but next set I'll look into going even narrower.

Zeep

Adventurer
I love my 255/85/R16 Cooper Discoverer St's which they no longer make.
I may go to 17'' rims sometime in the future.

chet6.7

Explorer
My first truck was a new 75 Chevy with L78 15's, that size was better in snow, on road, but when I put 12/32 15's on I could go places in loose dirt, sand and mud the L78's could not go. I keep the smaller wheel/tire combo, but never felt the need to go back to the smaller tire for what I do most of the time.
There are various factors in play, the weight of the vehicle and the diameter of the rim as well as tire size, look at those old Model T's going places today's vehicles would probably need 4WHD.

J!m

I have always run 255/85-16 on the stock 5.5" wide Rover wheel. Wheel should be wider, but it works. (I run the tube wheel tubeless, so beads are easier to break for repairs as needed- no issue losing a bead on some nasty "roads" over the years)

I like the "geek" look- very similar to the first 4X4 pickups in the US. "Pizza cutter" for sure.

No lockers and I get into PLENTY of trouble with this set up, even without airing down.

Love that Dodge Bros. video by the way!

Reactions: WVI
I've got a small engined 4x4, it currently has BFG 9.5x30xr15 installed. It seems this is one of the narrower tires available for 15" rims?

I wouldn't mind switching to something narrower to help with weight/power/gas mileage. Any suggestions? I'm open to switching rim sizes (Toyota 6 lug), but can't fit more than a 32" on the truck.

-thanks

Winterhawk

...but I think my next tires will be 215/85r16.
I've been seriously considering this size as well, however it's not as widely available as the 235/85r16 for AT and MT. I'm still open to it, but I won't need new tires until next year sometime. I wish they made a 225/85r16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan