Outstanding video comparing wide versus narrow tires

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It would have been nice to see wheel width taken into account, wider tires are going be behave differently on a narrower vs wider rim. The testing setup was biased towards the narrower tire that way.

One of the major downsides I see with narrow tires is that they tend to lose lateral stability as the aspect ratio goes up. A tall skinny tire will fold over more on sidehills and when trying to turn vs a wider tire at the same air pressure.

Most of this stuff, even down to wide vs narrow tires, is in the nuance category of off road vehicle performance for most people. As long as you have a round tire that holds air you are going to get just about as far as anyone else. It isn't until you really start using low ( single digit ) air pressures that you start to notice differences admittedly small differences....and honestly that will only be in some situations that you start to get that last 10% or even 3% of vehicle performance one to another.

I'm in the wider tire camp....

signal-2023-08-04-103557.jpeg

It doesn't matter how much tire you have, if you push the vehicle far enough, everyone ends up on the end of a winch rope eventually. On this spring snow wheeling trip, the difference between 6psi and 3psi was amazing on a 40x13.5R17 tire. Being able to make it that last few miles to the 'end of the road' and back out again was very rewarding. Everyone has different goals and motivations with what they want to do with their vehicles.

ThundahBeagle

New England wintahs you will not see wides on any truck hired as a snow plow. All pizza cutters. Tall, somewhat on the narrow side, with good tread on a 4x4, usually diesel.

Had a landscaper who got the snowplow contract for a building I was in. Showed up in a Tundra. That's not bad all by itself, but the tires were wide. Oddly, they were also a little low on tread depth. He got stuck. Told him to at least put it in 4x4 because I could only see one wheel spin. He said, "can't! 4x4 is broken."

Last day of the contract for that dude.

1stDeuce

Explorer
BillyBob will like that I was just surfing 215/85R16's for the Comanche... It has 235/85's on it now, but would probably be happier with a bit smaller OD tire since it has almost no lift and almost no power. I wheeled the wee out of a Cherokee on 215 Goodyear MT's years ago up in Ontario, and the same wheels no less... Miss those days...

My Jeep and my truck are running 255's, both down from 285's. Just bucked up for a set of 285's for the truck because I couldn't find any deals on 255's, but I'll be curious to see what I think going back...

Agree also with comments about the video giving some advantage to the skinny tire because of the wheel width... Given how low the pressure had to get to make the outer lugs of the wide tire touch, I think the wheel was probably narrower than recommended... Still an interesting video.

One note that wasn't made is that all things equal, a low HP rig will generally do better with a narrow tire than a wide one. This becomes especially apparent in soft sand, where the narrow wheel is "pushing" less sand in front of the tires, while still having a fairly long contact pattern. Or at least that's "conventional" wisdom among narrow tire folk. Of course, that's if you air down. If you are afraid to let air out, a wider tire is always better than a narrow one in sand...

Grassland

This just dropped and I am not sure if anyone posted it. Very well done approach to testing wide tires versus narrow tires.

I'm glad he mentions what a unicorn tire size that is.
Along with the fact the tires are actual measured out to be those sizes, and not just the mathematical diameters or what the manufacturer lists.
BFG certainly runs small. My "34x10.5R17" sure weren't near the 33.5" mentioned by BFG.
I do love the 255/80R17 size but there is not great selection, availability, and it's big dollars to find out if another manufacturer short changed you an inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior