Overland Expo West 2015

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Please keep in mind that the campground at the Expo is designed for easy access to and from the event, period! We try to make it as hospitable as possible with porta-pottis and water, and there is always a great social feel to it, but it's still a flat field in a dry lake bed. We're trying (again) to get Mormon Lake Lodge to pay more attention, but it's like pulling shark's teeth.

The forest service campgrounds are quite nice, and there is plenty of open camping nearby as well.

Sleam

Explorer
Please keep in mind that the campground at the Expo is designed for easy access to and from the event, period! We try to make it as hospitable as possible with porta-pottis and water, and there is always a great social feel to it, but it's still a flat field in a dry lake bed. We're trying (again) to get Mormon Lake Lodge to pay more attention, but it's like pulling shark's teeth.

The forest service campgrounds are quite nice, and there is plenty of open camping nearby as well.

Hey Jonathan, I like the idea of easy access but decided to go the NF campgrounds for the shade and less stimulus for the dogs. Is there anywhere close to the gournds where I can park in shade though or is it all pretty open? I'm working out the logistics of coming with three dogs! Sigh...but I have a tent, a reliable vehicle (not the Landy unfortunately) and I'm excited to take a trip on the back roads.
S

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Jonathan, I like the idea of easy access but decided to go the NF campgrounds for the shade and less stimulus for the dogs. Is there anywhere close to the gournds where I can park in shade though or is it all pretty open? I'm working out the logistics of coming with three dogs! Sigh...but I have a tent, a reliable vehicle (not the Landy unfortunately) and I'm excited to take a trip on the back roads.

The campgrounds almost all have good shade IIRC. Double Springs Campground is only a couple miles northwest of Mormon Lake if you can snag a spot early, and Dairy Springs Campground is a mile or so north of that. Forest Road 240 has undeveloped camping. Lots of trees.

film842

Observer
Yep, i ended up reserving a spot in the Dairy Springs NF campsite only a few miles away. I think I'm arriving the day before the campground opens so we'll be doing hte dispersed camping in the 4Runner. I'll have some beer and burgers if you find us!

Thanks...might run into you somewhere along the line. I just checked Dairy Creek and apparently it's all filled up but I'm happy to boondock it and so am going to be on the phone today with the ranger districts to make sure I understand where it's allowed. Anxious to see this country again, it's gorgeous. It's worth the drive down from Oregon.

Spending my time these days getting my 13 year old discovery ready for the road. It's off at the shop for new headgaskets at the moment and when I get it back, I'll be mounting a new awning...something I've wanted for some time. If you camp in the Pacific Northwest, you always have to be prepared for the rain.

Just read through some forums on what spare parts I should be carrying and it scared me so bad that I think I'm going to adopt the most sensible measure and say Oh to Hell with It and keep my AAA card handy. Got to keep a sense of humor if drive a Rover.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Coming from El Paso Texas, I am departing on Friday evening which should put me at 1:00 to 2:00 am on Mormon Lake, is it possible to arrive that late ( or early) and get to camp on the promises?

TravelinLight

Observer

This is why I choose the weekend package. I want to take advantage of as many classes as possible. It may not be the most scenic overlook but I will hopefully get to meet a lot of cool people.

I will be in a light grey Land Rover Dormobile w/ Colorado Classic plates so look me up.

PHeller

Adventurer
I'll be out in Flagstaff starting a new job so I might have to attend the Expo. Anybody familiar with these events enough to tell me if there might be any chance of snagging a cheap rig for under $5,000?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Coming from El Paso Texas, I am departing on Friday evening which should put me at 1:00 to 2:00 am on Mormon Lake, is it possible to arrive that late ( or early) and get to camp on the promises?

No, sorry. We need to consider the others already there. It's a closely spaced camp area. There is plenty of dispersed or forest service camping within just a few miles.

BWickett

Observer
AZ Bound...

We are heading down from Northern California (Martinez). Loose plan so far is to head out early Wednesday Morning and head south... Not trying to rush down, just keeping it open. Thought we would come through the Mojave National Preserve and try camping there. We've never been, so not sure what to expect exactly. May try hole in the wall. Maybe drop down and come up through Sedona.

This is our first time to expo as well and we are camping on site. Looking forward to it.

Driving back is also loose. We have Monday and Tuesday off so we are still kicking ideas around. Other half has never been to Sedona or GC so we may try to hit those. A few folks have suggested Schnebly Hill Rd.

Either way we are getting there and looking to have a great time!

Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78