Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Viggen

Just here...
Thats why I was asking. You went beyond what other people usually do when it comes to the rear suspension. A set of RTE or Rovertracks arms for you size lift is usually all that is required. I was just wondering if jumping to an adjustable upper and adjustable arms to make up for the increased angles on the rotoflex created an issue.

Either way, I think that the new shaft with a real joint will probably fix it. Truck does look good though.

JSQ

Adventurer
Rotoflex.

rubicon001%20290.jpg

No issues there...

muskyman

Explorer
There are a number of ways to set up a D1 rear end correctly.

As Keith mentioned you can drop the pinion and run a 2 joint shaft. This is often accomplished by using longer trailing arms or aftermarket ones that can be shimed or adjusted for length to fine tune the pinion angle.

Another option is to use a A arm adapter to lengthen the upper A arm as well as after market rear trailing arms. This brings the pinion up (out of the rocks) and sets the truck up for a DC rear shaft.

Both methods work, the key is not taking short cuts and hoping you dont have vibes. Measure the angles and set the geometry where is needs to be for the specific shaft you want to run and the system will run vibe free.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
********, that was the very first thought that crossed my mind.
Two meaningless photos.

Checking to see if I can edit this post

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm glad you got my point Tom. The evidentiary standard for tech here should be higher than simply posting a photo with little comment and even less context.

muskyman

Explorer
I'm glad you got my point Tom. The evidentiary standard for tech here should be higher than simply posting a photo with little comment and even less context.

I think you are missing Jacks point.

Roto-flex shred on the trail.

this is much more common on slick rock or other high traction surfaces then it is on wet dirt or muddy trails as you see.

because Scott's truck will be used on a number of different types of terrain I would have to agree with Jacks contention that the roto is a bad choice.

JSQ

Adventurer
Yeah, you're right Rob. Your internet powers of deduction are effing staggering. Except that you forgot that crucial factor in your equation that helps you solve these problems: Experience.
Being that you have virtually none and a small handful of us here are actually fourwheelers, we've happened to see some stuff you haven't. As a matter of fact, we've seen a lot of stuff. Some of it over and over again. But more importantly our experience is varied and evolving. Some people like Antichrist have fourhweeled for a while but they just do the same stuff repeatedly ad nauseum and they cling desperately to the same conclusions. The rest of us will actually adapt and learn.

That's why contemporary wisdom tells us that a U-joint MIGHT break and a rotoflex WILL shred. Early on a lot of us liked the rotoflex. We argued theoretically about its advantages, particularly for the Disco2.
...But then we experienced reality it in the field and we evolved. We saw that the rotoflex was a giant spinning donut hanging down below the pinion at a low point of contact and every rock, log and ledge imaginable was going to grind it.

Your little Bridges of Madison County jaunts and your out-of-context web wisdom just aren't going to cut it on the trail. It's a disservice to anyone who might actually get out into the good stuff.

If you want to hold a "higher standard for tech" then base it on credibility and understanding, not out-of-context BS.

DNTL740

Adventurer
So Scott, how did it go with the dirveshafts? Just wanted to see if you had made any headway on the vibrations?

huntsonora

Explorer
I am just now buttoning up a few switchgear items and waiting for the rear Escape Gear seat covers, but the truck is essentially done- I am pleased, and ready to put it to use. I am thinking a trip into Northern Sonora for spring.

I would not spend a whole lot of time in the north part of the state. I have drawn my imaginary line at about Benjamin Hill. I will not lease a ranch north of there and that sucks because some of my best ranches were just north of there, I just let em go

jrose609

Explorer
]

I am just now buttoning up a few switchgear items and waiting for the rear Escape Gear seat covers, but the truck is essentially done- I am pleased, and ready to put it to use. I am thinking a trip into Northern Sonora for spring.

Speaking of the seat covers, can you give a little more info? Where did you get them? Canvas? How do they fit? etc?

want to sell your old seat covers ????:)

Scott Brady

Founder
Speaking of the seat covers, can you give a little more info? Where did you get them? Canvas? How do they fit? etc?

want to sell your old seat covers ????:)

My old seat covers are for sale. They are nearly perfect.

The reason for the upgrade is the thicker material the Escape Gear covers are made from and the better color for my interior.

PM me if you are interested in the Sand Storm covers.

As an FYI, my Disco will almost certainly be at the National Rally in Moab with the new seat covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan