Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

Scott Brady

Founder
So Scott, how did it go with the dirveshafts? Just wanted to see if you had made any headway on the vibrations?

I installed the shaft, took a quick test drive and some more adjustment is necessary. Then I left for the Overland Rally, and have not had a chance to make another correction. I will report back later this week.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
My old seat covers are for sale. They are nearly perfect.

The reason for the upgrade is the thicker material the Escape Gear covers are made from and the better color for my interior.

PM me if you are interested in the Sand Storm covers.

As an FYI, my Disco will almost certainly be at the National Rally in Moab with the new seat covers.

Those Escape Gear one's look nearly identical to my Melvill and Moon's, also from South Africa.

jrose609

Explorer
My old seat covers are for sale. They are nearly perfect.

The reason for the upgrade is the thicker material the Escape Gear covers are made from and the better color for my interior.

PM me if you are interested in the Sand Storm covers.

As an FYI, my Disco will almost certainly be at the National Rally in Moab with the new seat covers.
PM sent

Scott Brady

Founder
Just had a wonderful drive in the Discovery from Prescott to Durango. The 3.90 gears were the right choice for the tire size I am running. 5th gear is quite usable now and the motor isn't turning too hard at 80 for the interstate.

I am still getting a little bit of driveline vibration from the rear, but only at certain speeds.

I also finished up several wiring projects, and everything is working perfectly. I am particularly impressed by the low voltage disconnect.

I will try to post some pictures up in the next few days.

ssssnake529

Explorer
Could you possibly post a summary page of all that you did?

I have a 96 Disco that I'm in the midst of upgrading, so your experience is very interesting to me. It would be nice to see a full list of all the modifications/upgrades all on one page.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
The learning process involves more than just reading the Cliff Notes. If you read the thread, you will be able to learn why some of the decisions were made and potential disagreements with those decisions and maybe then you could make your own informed decisions.

Scott Brady

Founder
Mike has a good point.

I would likely do a few things different, principally some unnecessary complexity that I added to the suspension. The same result can be accomplished with much less money (i.e. swivel ball).

I would also have specified the rear cargo box differently. It needs taller bottom drawers and a shorter top drawer. The overall height of the drawer system should have been about 1" lower, which would allow easier access to 1510 Pelicans strapped to the top. It works, but I think others might benefit from the slight adjustments.

One of the recent modifications I am quite please with is the OME Sport shocks. A nice change.

ssssnake529

Explorer
The learning process involves more than just reading the Cliff Notes. If you read the thread, you will be able to learn why some of the decisions were made and potential disagreements with those decisions and maybe then you could make your own informed decisions.

I read the thread (yes, all of it.) I have also followed the build in Overland Journal.

It would still be nice to have a summary, particularly because it's not clear if the thread contains information on all of the mods or not.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Mike has a good point.

I would likely do a few things different, principally some unnecessary complexity that I added to the suspension. The same result can be accomplished with much less money (i.e. swivel ball).

I would also have specified the rear cargo box differently. It needs taller bottom drawers and a shorter top drawer. The overall height of the drawer system should have been about 1" lower, which would allow easier access to 1510 Pelicans strapped to the top. It works, but I think others might benefit from the slight adjustments.

One of the recent modifications I am quite please with is the OME Sport shocks. A nice change.

I think this sort of summary or looking back is what is most often missing in build threads...
There is more value to me hearing what a person thinks after they are using the setup than when they are planning.
1" doesn't sound like much but it sounds like a worthly change for anyone else.

Thanks for this Scott and looking forward to hearing more thoughts over time

Scott Brady

Founder
I read the thread (yes, all of it.) I have also followed the build in Overland Journal.

It would still be nice to have a summary, particularly because it's not clear if the thread contains information on all of the mods or not.

I will try to pull something together. Thanks for the interest.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Mike has a good point.

I had one question/suggestion that came to mind. Since you are running 245/75R16 tires, couldn't you just go with stock springs with isolators top and bottom for a little lift? I am running the same tires and set-up on my Discovery and it works fine. No rubbing under full flex. The advantage I see to this is that it does not effect the steering or drive shafts and keeps the vehicle COG lower. I'm assuming you don't really have rock crawling in mind for this truck. If you need more load carrying capacity, you could do the same thing by just using the factory option extra-heavy duty springs front and rear. Same lift as the isolators (approx 1 inch) and a couple hundred extra pounds of load rating. Just a thought for a expedition oriented vehicle. I have not found this set-up lacking off-road yet.

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan