Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

drifter-co

I also wanted a very simple and unobtrusive GPS permanently mounted, so we pulled the knock-out for the sunroof control blank and mounted the CrossOver to it and wired the power supply to the dome light constant 12v source. Simple and effective, and completely reversible installation.
SEMA_Mods%20(1).jpg

Scott, first of all amazing build, as others have already said many times. I've got a '99 D1 that I'm finishing little details on. I'm currently mounting a GPS just the same as you did here. I'm just wondering which wire is the constant 12v—the solid purple or purple/black stripe? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Scott, first of all amazing build, as others have already said many times. I've got a '99 D1 that I'm finishing little details on. I'm currently mounting a GPS just the same as you did here. I'm just wondering which wire is the constant 12v—the solid purple or purple/black stripe? I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

Just check the wires with a test light with the ignition off and the one with power is the one you're looking for.

Scott Brady

Founder
That was a pretty good GPS at the time. I have since upgraded to a HEMA Navigator with Ozi Explorer and USGS Topos. Will post a picture soon.

The stock suspension bits arrived, so we are planning to swap everything out in a few weeks. I suspect a much better ride and increased articulation as a result.

toddz69

Explorer
The stock suspension bits arrived, so we are planning to swap everything out in a few weeks. I suspect a much better ride and increased articulation as a result.

Interesting how stock stuff often performs better for most of our needs than the high-zoot aftermarket bits. Although as I recall your additions were fairly mild - some modded arms, taller springs and double-cardan driveshafts?

Todd Z.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Interesting how stock stuff often performs better for most of our needs than the high-zoot aftermarket bits. Although as I recall your additions were fairly mild - some modded arms, taller springs and double-cardan driveshafts?

Todd Z.

A stock Land Rover on moderate tires almost always outperforms a heavily modded one in the articulation department, and then you don't need lockers either for over 90% of situations. Driving skill is all you need. One area where aftermarket mods do pay off is protection for the diffs, sills and heavier duty bumpers. Also, the rear control arms will bend if you land them on a big boulder, so that should be looked to as well if such service is expected. The superb off road design of the Land Rover is without peer among its competitors.

toddz69

Explorer
The superb off road design of the Land Rover is without peer among its competitors.

I certainly agree. One of the simple joys in life for me in recent years, as a mechanical engineer/suspension junkie/junkyard hound, has been to look at the various suspension bits on various LR models in local junkyards. I certainly appreciate the various design features incorporated over the years.

Todd Z.

psykokid

Explorer
A stock Land Rover on moderate tires almost always outperforms a heavily modded one in the articulation department, and then you don't need lockers either for over 90% of situations. Driving skill is all you need. One area where aftermarket mods do pay off is protection for the diffs, sills and heavier duty bumpers. Also, the rear control arms will bend if you land them on a big boulder, so that should be looked to as well if such service is expected. The superb off road design of the Land Rover is without peer among its competitors.

I ran club run up Lockwood Creek / Miller Jeep Trail here in SoCal a few weeks ago and we had a guy in a bone stock 04 D2 come on the trip. No lift, no off road tires, just as it would have been driven off the showroom floor. Miller has some tough spots in it and some pretty big rocks. He made it through just fine following a guy in another D2 and choosing good lines - a small door ding on one rock and a sliced sidewall on his old stock tires was all the carnage he sustained. Swapped out the spare and we were good to go. I tell everyone that buys a Disco to take it out stock and find out its capabilities and then modify to suit where you find it's lacking.

Scott Brady

Founder
Continuing with the restoration and de-moding. I have the Discovery in for a full power steering system redo, including a new pump and new box. All new hoses too.

At the same time, we are going to swap out the suspension to OME heavy in the front and medium in the rear, plus new sport shocks. Also swapping back to the factory front driveshaft and control arms with rubber bushings.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
What is the best practice on the oil cooler lines? Remove them completely along with the filter adapter, or install new lines? Is there a best quality replacement? The lines are leaking a touch, and the last thing I want is for my baby to burn to the ground.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
What is the best practice on the oil cooler lines? Remove them completely along with the filter adapter, or install new lines? Is there a best quality replacement? The lines are leaking a touch, and the last thing I want is for my baby to burn to the ground.

It's fine just to replace them with new factory ones. Some also upgrade them to stainless braided ones as well: http://www.trailhead4x4.com/30464.html

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
^wish I would have known they did Disco 1 lines when I put in my 300. Either way I just put new genuine lines in, they should last a couple decades

Scott Brady

Founder
Suspension is coming along nicely. All of the old bits are out and the new ones installed. If anyone is looking for rear 2763 and front 2767 springs in REALLY good condition, let me know (along with near-new OME Sport shocks).

10917363_10153507156773275_1530122486543352481_n.jpg

The new front springs are mediums and will allow for the weight of the bumper and winch. I expect to lose about 20mm of lift. The front also has factory isolators in the spring pockets. The factory control arms with factory rubber bushings were also installed. This will most likely put my castor at -1, which kind of sucks, but I will see how it drives. It was at +4 with the aftermarket arms, which I liked, but I just couldn't get the vibes out of the driveshaft. A truck with 3" of lift will likely work a lot better with that set-up. If I find the castor is too "sporty", I will just go with corrected swivel balls.

1505585_10153507166108275_8232921203102848719_n.jpg

Mmmm, fancy factory control arms. The rubber bushing actually improve ride quality and articulation. "Stock is hot" ;)

10460622_10153507166113275_6550475450819292703_o.jpg

10562568_10153507166093275_1937509283915386706_o.jpg

On the rear, new medium springs and new Sport shocks too. This should make the Disco ride just dreamy. Note that none of the anti-swaybars are present. For some magical reason, coiler Land Rovers tolerate no swaybars pretty well. I prefer the ride quality on the trail without swaybars and removing them significantly improves articulation in the front. In the rear, it mostly just solves the annoyance of the end links flipping downward. . .

I am also working to get diff guards installed at the same time. Pretty excited to go stretch her legs a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior