Overland Journal: Discovery I, 5-speed

toddz69

Explorer
Scott Brady;2123310} The reality is that new SUVs suck said:
That, and nostalgia, have driven prices up on classics like early Broncos, FJ40s, and even Scouts, for years now. And now more modern 'classics' like the Rovers are seeing their prices climb. Even nice XJ Cherokees are trending upward.

Todd Z.

mdcoa

Came across this build thread as I was agonizing over what size tires to replace 245/85r16 MT-Rs with.
Was excited to see Scott was planning on 215:85R16, but he ended up not going that route.
For those like me who found this thread and were sure they'd find a 215 picture in there somewhere, thought that I'd post some.
I wanted an 85 aspect ratio and debated over 235s and 215s, and ended up going with 215s to enable max articulation and wheel turn with the moderate lift I have, and to preserve the gearing I have with the 245s, which are almost exactly the same diamond the 215/85s.
Got Cooper STT Pros, and couldn't be happier. They're quiet enough that I realize for the first time that the engine is stinking loud. They performed well off road last weekend. And I like the look roughly 127% more than the wider tires. And they were super cheap from tirecrawler. Was going to get ST/Maxx but these were about $50/ tire cheaper.

0451fa026850a926a4789320b8d135c2.jpg
1aa57bcbc223c211bf56fff1ef06d6a5.jpg
cbbdd52620bf5e4b8281bf07baba78eb.jpg
0451fa026850a926a4789320b8d135c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Mdcoa,

Thanks for posting those pics. I am this close to putting 215/85 on my LWB. The 225/75's on there now drive great, but somehow seem too wide.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Mdcoa,

Thanks for posting those pics. I am this close to putting 215/85 on my LWB. The 225/75's on there now drive great, but somehow seem too wide.

I had some on one of my RRC's and really like them. Just put some 235/85R16 on my Tacoma and love those too. There's so much practical about narrow tires. One thing I particularly like is that they are perfect for running snow chains since they allow plenty of room in the fenders for them. Work very well in most all conditions and I haven't seen any mileage penalty, even going to the E load range.

Frobisher

Mdcoa,

To add some encouragement, I went with the Hercules Terra Trac AT II tires in 215/85 for my 95 Disco. My tire guy recommended them as a good (and cheaper) alternative to the Cooper AT3, and I have to say he was right. Plus, they come with a 60,000 mile warranty. They aren't loud on the road, and they have gone anywhere I want to go offroad.

The 215s improved my turning radius noticeably from the stock 235/70s. Plus, they just look right.

Here's the link: https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Terra Trac AT II

Boss Hog

Observer
That, and nostalgia, have driven prices up on classics like early Broncos, FJ40s, and even Scouts, for years now. And now more modern 'classics' like the Rovers are seeing their prices climb. Even nice XJ Cherokees are trending upward.

Todd Z.

Just muscled through this thread. My ‘94 D1 is a little rough cosmetically, but it has a professional 4.6l swap & is mechanically sound. I haven’t gotten a single nibble @ $1500! After driving to Snooze for breakfast in this snowy Denver weather, and reading this thread, I’m keeping it!

MrWesson

Adventurer
Take care of those D1s. Every successor ventured further from the Discovery character. It's the original that will be remembered.

I dunno about that.

The platform is an absolute classic but the engines :(.

The RX7 is remembered but few love them because the engines don't last. Most enthusiast cars have issues but needing a heart transplant is a big one.

czenkov

Adventurer
What is it lately with people thinking the aluminum V8 in the LR product is bad. I have seen a lot of ****e talked about them in various venues to include BaT. Granted the D2 suffered a big liner issue, but the rest...really? I don't care about high miles on anything up to 1999.5, after that sure, excluding the 4.6 P38. Sure the tophat liner is better, then again I have heard of issues there too.

Seriously people need to move on and get out and use them!

MrWesson

Adventurer
What is it lately with people thinking the aluminum V8 in the LR product is bad. I have seen a lot of ****e talked about them in various venues to include BaT. Granted the D2 suffered a big liner issue, but the rest...really? I don't care about high miles on anything up to 1999.5, after that sure, excluding the 4.6 P38. Sure the tophat liner is better, then again I have heard of issues there too.

Seriously people need to move on and get out and use them!

I complained from the point of view from someone who has wanted a D2 for a long tim.e but has been scared away based on real world "shopping" and coming across enough examples of engines trouble/head gasket issues to scare me away from the hassle.

I saw mostly 50/50 sample of running great looking D2's and basket cases(passively looking for a decade before buying my LR3). Same sample size of 50/50 on any other vehicle wouldn't qualify it as a classic. To me it looked like a before and after situation that every clean D2 was destined to become a basket case in time.
Thread was "on track" before my comment so I guess I'm "those people"

Ray_G

Explorer
It's still on track; just need to use it as a chance to highlight that the 3.5/3.9/& even 4.0 GEMS motors had far less issues than the 4.0 Bosch and 4.6 blocks did. Many conflate the Dii issues with the rest of the family, whereas those that stick with D1 & RRC's just don't see those issues on nearly the same scale.

czenkov

Adventurer
It's still on track; just need to use it as a chance to highlight that the 3.5/3.9/& even 4.0 GEMS motors had far less issues than the 4.0 Bosch and 4.6 blocks did. Many conflate the Dii issues with the rest of the family, whereas those that stick with D1 & RRC's just don't see those issues on nearly the same scale.

Ray said it way better than I did...

MrWesson

Adventurer

Fair enough. I didn't mean to piss in anyone's shoes or anything.

Also in the context of "they don't make them like they used to" I really like my LR3 and would put it up against a D1 on the trail. I really like the D1 too just trying to say it's not all doom and gloom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior