Overland Journal: G-Wagen

DoKarider16

Observer
I was able to drive a short wheel base G-Wagen at NW Mogfest this year. It was an automatic and that combined with the dual range transfer case made the G-Wagen amazingly easy to drive. We went through the bigger pit on the obstacle course, I have very little off road experience, and it was so slow and torquey, that Eric the owner could just point and say go there. I could pretty much have both feet flat on the floor and just let it crawl it's way through. I believe most if not all of them come with front and rear lockers as well. Very cool vehicles.

That looks like a gorgeous rig. I can't wait to see what you do with it. It will be sad to see that blue go away though.

the other Craig

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I was able to drive a short wheel base G-Wagen at NW Mogfest this year. It was an automatic and that combined with the dual range transfer case made the G-Wagen amazingly easy to drive. We went through the bigger pit on the obstacle course, I have very little off road experience, and it was so slow and torquey, that Eric the owner could just point and say go there. I could pretty much have both feet flat on the floor and just let it crawl it's way through. I believe most if not all of them come with front and rear lockers as well. Very cool vehicles.

That looks like a gorgeous rig. I can't wait to see what you do with it. It will be sad to see that blue go away though.

the other Craig
Man I've got to go to that next year. And hello from someone who absolutely LOVES the White slamon area and more specificaly the River and Hussum Falls ;)

Cheers

Dave

Edit: On the Locker question, do out N.American "blinged out" versions still have the F/R Lockers???

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Yes, N.A. Spec "blinged out" G's do have all three lockers. Though I'm sure pretty much all of the soccer mom's ans pro basketball players have no idea, or even care, what those three little switches on the dash do.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yes, N.A. Spec "blinged out" G's do have all three lockers. Though I'm sure pretty much all of the soccer mom's ans pro basketball players have no idea, or even care, what those three little switches on the dash do.
Cool, that's refreshing to hear...

Cheers

Dave

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Canadian army uses the lwb hart top version.
ISAF.jpg

Those tires are pretty, I see they are Michelin's are they a good tire?

Gurkha

Adventurer

I had these exact Michelins on my Gurha, 7x16 to be exact. They are good all rounders off road but on road, they are a nightmare if you are doing over 60kmph. They do last long but the Geolandar AT-S I have do great on or off road with far less noise and way better ride.

gjackson

FRGS

Those are Michelin XZLs most likely in 760R16. Very good expedition tire, but does wear a bit fast on the road. Tough as nails.

cheers

Locked up

Craig, you need to drive it now with the turbo diesel engine in it! You thought it was good a Mogfest, waaay better now!

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Next comes the Bundeswehr paint job.

Gurkha

Adventurer
I see the K&N filter in there, wouldn't that defeat the original intake system via the snorkel? Also instead of fresh air, I would think the engine is getting warmer air from inside the hood area. Nice G otherwise.

Locked up

It's a work in progress, Just got the engine in 2 weeks ago. I'm looking for an air box / canister that will work with the snorkel.

DoKarider16

Observer
That sounds like an invitation. OK, I'll drive it again : )

I can't imagine with the torque of that diesel in there how easy it must be.

Craig

JPFreek1

Explorer
Scott, any update on this vehicle's performance to date? Andrea and I have looked at a TON of vehicles, including the G, in preparation for kids and much needed space not found in the Wrangler. Curious to hear your take on fuel economy, off-highway prowess, etc. :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's a work in progress, Just got the engine in 2 weeks ago. I'm looking for an air box / canister that will work with the snorkel.
So does PDX mean you're a fellow Portlander???? If so that's awesome, we need to put together ameet and greet/trail run for those of us in this fine city.

Cheers

Dave

Locked up

I'm always ready to go!

Let's put together a trail ride. I'm fairly familar with Tillamook, but I'd really like to try some new trails.

Who's up for a ride on Feb 22? (Sunday)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior