Overland Navigator: New product launch

cactusjk

Explorer
Do any of the netbooks allow you to store Overland Navigator maps on SD cards? The Asus 1000 HE has a 160G hd. Any problems with a traditional hd vs solid state?

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Looks very nice!

Night mode- I've seen this in Ozi, IIRC. Overlay red or blue to ease night vision. Does this exist?

Also about data set integration- Does ON allow for, say, the satellite data to exist on a 32G CF card and not require me to "install" into the typical map data directory?

I am running an Itronix ruggedized tablet- touchscreen, works great for this type of application. Problem is I have limited space with a 40G drive (it is ruggedized with some unique connections and I haven't found an upgrade for it yet- not your typical laptop drive). However the unit has a few flash slots, including CF.

(would also love to see it for Android and Linux!)

We've been discussing night mode internally, but haven't come to any firm conclusions on how we want to support it yet.

Each map series can be installed in it's own directory so you can put all topos in one directory and all satellite imagery in another directory. If you were to buy AZ topos and UT topos they'd all have to be installed to the same directory (and the installer would automatically enforce this).

Craig

cactusjk

Explorer
So it sounds like the maps can reside on CF cards as long as they are in the same directory. Are large cards available for Asus, etc?

We've been discussing night mode internally, but haven't come to any firm conclusions on how we want to support it yet.

Each map series can be installed in it's own directory so you can put all topos in one directory and all satellite imagery in another directory. If you were to buy AZ topos and UT topos they'd all have to be installed to the same directory (and the installer would automatically enforce this).

Craig

craig

Do any of the netbooks allow you to store Overland Navigator maps on SD cards? The Asus 1000 HE has a 160G hd. Any problems with a traditional hd vs solid state?

I haven't tried one myself, but there shouldn't be any problem using Overland Navigator with maps stored on an SSD. In fact it should work well, possibly even better than a traditional hard drive. Maps should load faster because SSDs are approximately 100x faster than traditional HDDs. SSDs are resistant to wear and tear from dust, bumps, and vibrations. Wear and tear to an SSD is typically caused by repeated write operations. Since the map data is read only it won't cause any write operations making the SSD an ideal place to store Overland Navigator maps.

Craig

craig

So it sounds like the maps can reside on CF cards as long as they are in the same directory. Are large cards available for Asus, etc?

Yes, the maps can be installed on any drive as long as there is enough room for them to be installed. I've tested with a USB hard drive and that works fine.

Overland Navigator expects that if you install the maps that they are all present all the time. You can't put AZ on one card and NM on another and swap them in/out.

If you install all maps or all satellite imagery to a removable CF card and you forget to insert the card, Overland Navigator will show a black screen (no maps).

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the question about large CF cards off the top of my head.

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks. The Asus has a 160G but am not sure of how these hds hold up in the truck vs a solid state drive.

Yes, the maps can be installed on any drive as long as there is enough room for them to be installed. I've tested with a USB hard drive and that works fine.

Overland Navigator expects that if you install the maps that they are all present all the time. You can't put AZ on one card and NM on another and swap them in/out.

If you install all maps or all satellite imagery to a removable CF card and you forget to insert the card, Overland Navigator will show a black screen (no maps).

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the question about large CF cards off the top of my head.

cactusjk

Explorer
While I'm on a roll it looks like there is a single USB cable I can use to connect my 60csx to the Asus vice serial, etc?

esh

Explorer
It should work via purely USB, or is this not the case with ON? When selecting ports in TOPO! I can choose between USB (kind of an auto-select from then on) and traditional COM ports.

Don't want to make assumptions, but not having to deal with the extra bulk of converters and sometimes flaky drivers for them has been heavenly.

edit: Craig, thanks for the replies. It is awesome having direct communication with product development! :) I enjoy this kind of thing at work with open source network management packages we run.

craig

Thanks. The Asus has a 160G but am not sure of how these hds hold up in the truck vs a solid state drive.

An SSD is more resistent to vibrations, bumps, and dust. However, a regular laptop hard drive is going to last a VERY long time before it fails. I've used one for over 5 years w/o failure offroad. I'd encourage you to use what you have now and upgrade later if you determine it is a problem.

Last edited:

craig

While I'm on a roll it looks like there is a single USB cable I can use to connect my 60csx to the Asus vice serial, etc?

The Garmin 60Csx connected with a USB cable only speaks the Garmin proprietary binary protocol. Garmin doesn't offer any means to use a USB cable to create a serial connection (virtual COM port) that communicates via NMEA0183.

You have two options that I'm aware of:
1. Buy a Garmin serial cable and also buy a USB to serial adapter cable.
2. Buy Fransson GPS Gate and use it to convert the Garmin binary protocol data to standard NMEA0183 data on a virtual COM port.

Alternatively, you can buy a GPS Puck with the same SIRF III chipset as the 60CSx has for about $35. For example, the Globalsat BU-353.

Craig

cactusjk

Explorer
Thanks! Just ordered the software.

The Garmin 60Csx connected with a USB cable only speaks the Garmin proprietary binary protocol. Garmin doesn't offer any means to use a USB cable to create a serial connection (virtual COM port) that communicates via NMEA0183.

2. Buy Fransson GPS Gate and use it to convert the Garmin binary protocol data to standard NMEA0183 data on a virtual COM port.

Alternatively, you can buy a GPS Puck with the same SIRF III chipset as the 60CSx has for about $35. For example, the Globalsat BU-353.

Craig

cactusjk

Explorer
Has anyone tried the RAM Mount Monopod with a Tough Tray 2? Not sure how stable a monopod would be with a 3# netbook?

cactusjk

Explorer
Garmin recommended that i use their spanner software to convert to NMEA. They said I could then use the supplied USB cable to connect to the computer. Has anyone else done this?

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998