Overland Navigator

Edroid

Craig,

I have tried lots of topo map apps, and it seems to me there are two huge flaws. First, the "download the maps" model inevitably leaves me without a cell signal and without the correct map. Second, most topo apps are simply viewers, and the software cannot highlight a road / route.

I would love to be able to purchase maps state by state, and have them available on the ios device at all times.

Best of luck!

CCFD170

Adventurer
Craig,

I have tried lots of topo map apps, and it seems to me there are two huge flaws. First, the "download the maps" model inevitably leaves me without a cell signal and without the correct map. Second, most topo apps are simply viewers, and the software cannot highlight a road / route.

I would love to be able to purchase maps state by state, and have them available on the ios device at all times.

Best of luck!

If you're saying what I think you are, I agree! It would be really cool to just have a whole state downloaded versus a little bit here or there.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yep. Overland Navigator uses larger map packs. Im still working out the exact details as there are different use cases based on whether you have a cellular connection, wifi connection, or a cable and iTunes.

Thanks for the input.

Craig

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Just wanted you guys to know that I'm listening, and working hard on it. The maps are, as always, taking a long time to process. I don't just use the USGS quads as-is. They are all re-projected and seamlessly mosaic'd, individually checked that they edgematch, and compressed so they take up much less room than the other topo mapping packages out there. It takes a bit of time, but in the end it's worth it. The new software will use a different map-pack file format that is faster, cross platform compatible, and ultimately create-able by you guys.

Craig

It'll be well worth the wait. This inaccuracy between "pages", along with the complete lack of good/intuitive routing/marking capabilities (good luck getting a GPX into the "Topo Maps" app), has been my biggest complaint with the current iOS offerings and the main reason I continue to run a full-blown PC in the truck for navigation.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this, very much looking forward to it.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Speaking of use cases, mine would be on an original 16GB iPad wifi w/ a Dual XGPS150 gps receiver or an 64GB iPad 2 3G (w/out a 3G contract). Most of my trips will not have cellular access anyway so off line map availability is critical.

My plan is to download any Map packs via a wifi connection at home or at work in advance of the trip. Both of these sites have high speed internet connections.

Oh, would love to beta test it if you're looking for testers.:)

HTH.

craig

I haven't determined how old of an iPad will be able to be used, but offline maps for sure. :)

ColoDisco

Explorer
It'll be well worth the wait. This inaccuracy between "pages", along with the complete lack of good/intuitive routing/marking capabilities (good luck getting a GPX into the "Topo Maps" app), has been my biggest complaint with the current iOS offerings and the main reason I continue to run a full-blown PC in the truck for navigation.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this, very much looking forward to it.
I feel your pain Chazz! I recently removed my ram laptop mount from my rig in favor of iPad with the ram x mount. Works great and takes up way less space. Itopo however eats a lot of my iPad memory with the downloadable maps, not to mention the gpx tracks I have added from Charles wells aka funtreks leave a little to be desired as they only reference specific books/map pages. I prefer the tracks from ON. Way better software and worth every penny! I have already emailed Craig about this.

FWIW I have the top of the line Gen 2 with GPS. Really prefer having the built in GPS.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
How much storage does a Gen 1 have?
IIRC, 16GB was the minimum memory available for the Ipad 1 and it's what I have.

FWIW Scenic Map Western US (vector based low res topo data @ $4.99) takes 1.9GB of space.

I also have their sister product You Need A Map app (vector based street maps of entire US @ free) which takes up 1.8GB.

HTH.

Last edited:

craig

Cool. That's 2-3 good sized map packs at a time (eg. All USGS topos for Washington, Oregon, and Idaho at the same time.). That will meet 99% of people's use cases. Power users can get more memory or swap map packs in the field with a laptop.

Craig

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm sure a state or two at a time is fine but perhaps you can make it so that we can install as much as can fit? For example I can use either a 16GB ipad that will mostly be empty or a 64GB ipad where I could potentially do much of the western US on my 64GB ipad.

craig

Yep, you bet. It wasn't very clear, but that's what I meant by "Power Users can get more memory". If you have 64gb of space, then you'll be able to fit more maps that what someone with a 16gb iPad could fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior