Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think you are asking about automatic offroad route calculation.

There isn't an auto-routing feature. In my experience with street network software this just doesn't work well offroad. Gates are locked, the street network data available doesn't distinguish between a 4x4 trail, a twin track, or a fully engineered USFS gravel road... yet alone the difference between easy, intermediate, and hard 4x4 trails (if it has the trails at all). Gates are locked, roads get washed out, and most people want to plan a route that involves seeing particular scenery.

We will be adding a "Go to point" type of feature where an as the crow flies arrow is always shown between your current location and a specific lat/lon destination. We have been partnering with participants in the Nevada Trophy, Northwest Challenge, and other offroad geocaching type events to identify the best approach to supporting this. I have an alpha version now that works great for the competitions, but isn't something I'd consider to be ready to be incorporated as an officially supported feature.

Back to your original use-case. What you can do is to use any software you want to create a GPX track. For example, on ling trips I use Google Earth at home to calculate a route to the 4x4 trailhead. Save it as a KML file and use GPS Babel to convert it to a GPX track that I save in the Overland Navigator tracks directory. I've also used Garmin Mapsource to create a GPX track with a mouse along the route I want to follow, and saved that into the Overland Navigator tracks directory. Heads up GPX waypoint and track creation is a feature that I consider to be at the very top of the todo list on the software side... Looking forward to getting these map-packs done so I can focus my attention back on adding features. :)

Craig

Last edited:

craig

A customer who is *brand new* to GPS, GPX, etc just used redtrails.org to create a route with their online tools. He said it was extremely easy.

I gave it a try and it's a great website. They have online tools to draw a planned route on top of google maps, topo maps, shaded relief maps, satellite imagery, etc. When you are finished you "upload" the trail to redtrails.org and then you can download it in a variety of formats including GPX. Save the GPX file to your Overland Navigator "tracks" directory and you are all set to go.

Craig

craig

Overland Navigator version 2.0.1 has been released. See the release thread here.

Echodawg

Wanderer
On the new release, is there a setting so you can have the map rotate with your direction instead of having the map fixed and pointing north?

shogun

Adventurer
On the new release, is there a setting so you can have the map rotate with your direction instead of having the map fixed and pointing north?

I was keeping quiet about this until I get ON and get some time with it.

I have a little time running moving map displays and keeping track of system performance both ground to map and map to ground. Of course my groundspeeds were a little higher than those we are talking about here. There was a selectable option called "north up" where the map was always oriented one way (north up) and the present position moved accordingly. That mode was never used for actual navigation, rather a planning mode where you were trying to locat something a known direction from PP (very rarely). In actual use the map rotated around to keep the top of the display in the direction of travel. That allowed you to plan much more accurately where you were pointing and was very good for identifying features to track your actual location, although it may sound complicated, in use it is much more natural than north up.

All mapping software that I have seen uses north up and it is, uh, not the optimum presentation. I strongly suggest someone test this upgrade presentation to see how it works in this use. It would certainly distinguish the product from all the other "simple" ones.

craig

There are pros and cons of each method, but I understand and respect that some people prefer to have Direction Up maps. The feature is on the "Future Directions" list and will eventually be implemented.

Craig

shogun

Adventurer
There are pros and cons of each method, but I understand and respect that some people prefer to have Direction Up maps. The feature is on the "Future Directions" list and will eventually be implemented.

Craig

Super!

This is what distinguishes your product from all the other junk out there. Your customer service, willingness to entertain user suggestions and implement those makes it a professional product.

Our needs are different than soccer-mom/dad looking for the nearest mcdonalds. Looking forward to using a product optimized for off-road, exploration/travel that supports land navigation, not just destination directions.

dzzz

Craig

I started with direction up. After a year or two I switched to north up. I expect most experienced users develop a strong preference. At this point I would be confused by direction up.
On all my gps software I would like the option of having most of the map showing to be in the direction of travel. This would probably need to be a slowly developing bias to keep the map from jumping around when doing a lot of turns. Say I was traveling west. At first the map would be centered. But over time if I continued to travel west the map would increasingly bias towards showing more of the area ahead and less of what is to the east.

craig

Overland Navigator now has complete USGS Topographic map coverage for the US Lower 48. Florida and New England Map-packs are now available in our webstore.

http://spatialminds.com

Last edited:

DaveM

Explorer
although it may sound complicated, in use it is much more natural than north up.

All mapping software that I have seen uses north up and it is, uh, not the optimum presentation.

I think "natural" would be a more personal preference feeling. For me, North up is usually the most natural, but I'm not using a GPS for race style track navigation, I'm a cartographer and prefer the N up world view.

In practical terms N up requires one extra mental step, relating the map image to your surrounding by noting your heading on the map and where N would be in the real world. Direction up (or forward really) allows you to (maybe) make faster decisions about the route itself and seems more intuitive but for me it allows the user to drop their cognition of what direction they are facing, all you need to know is what the next stretch of road looks like and if you need to go left or right. Keeping N up for me makes me feel more in tune with the geography as a whole because I always know where N is out the window.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger