Overland Navigator

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
BTW, TDI install after a year-very exciting. I know what that feels like. I had to drive a rented purple PT cruiser for 6 months waiting on my TDI conversion. Almost killed myself.

Oh man... that is bad.

I'm going to post off-topic in my own thread. -- shrug. :)

Yes... very very excited to have my truck coming together!! Other than the swivel ball seal, every mechanical item on my RRC should be sound now (Started life with me on a flatbed tow truck) AND it's almost fully kitted out (nothing missing that will keep us at home).

My son says to me on the way home from school today (in a loaner Land Rover Discovery)... "I feel like going on a road trip. A really long road trip." I couldn't agree more. It's been several years since he and I have been out. The last truck died on the way back from Hell's Canyon and since the current truck was a *complete* rebuild, it's been years since we've had a viable vehicle for our trips. That all ends this week. Woot!

I'm having a hard time believing it's actually happening.

Next mod is to install Overland Navigator. :)

Craig

overlander

Expedition Leader
Sweet. need a thread. One of my best friends of the military and green oval brotherhoods just got a 95 LWB classic, and has begun the first steps in his build. Graham is the only other one I know of personally that has done a Classic TDI conversion. RRC's make great overland platforms.

craig

Sweet. need a thread. One of my best friends of the military and green oval brotherhoods just got a 95 LWB classic, and has begun the first steps in his build. Graham is the only other one I know of personally that has done a Classic TDI conversion. RRC's make great overland platforms.

Got one. See "Craig's 89 RRC" in the Land Rover section.

Yeah, it's a fun truck. At first I was going to convert it to a 100" Defender, but I've kind of grown accustomed to the plush interior and am now going to just leave it as-is. It's surprising how quickly these are becoming rare (and therefore unique).

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Let's get together sometime, have a beer, and see what's up. I'm only an hour north of you and regularly head down your way. Installation *should be* very straight forward. At least that was the goal when I put all of this together. If it's not, then I consider it a bug and will do what I can to improve the process.

Craig

Thanks for responding when you were able to. Appreciate it. Hope all is well.

After the holidays, we can set a meet. I have no problem heading North as well.

Fred :beer:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
4 months and still no response
I don't believe that's an ON question. Is APRS even supported on an iPad? If it is, then I'm sure Craig can add that as a feature but frankly i suspect he's still working on getting the basic ON functioning on IOS and probably hasn't delved into APRS integration yet.

Last edited:

craig

APRS will not be supported on the iPad because there isn't a simple way of doing so. I've found a couple of ways of supporting it, but it gets really geeky and that's a can of tech support worms that I'm not willing to open. I'll investigate some more once the initial version is out, but given how few people use APRS it's going to be a pretty low priority.

Please email me directly if you require an immediate reply. I'm happy to answer questions, but I don't monitor the forums on a regular basis.

Thanks,
Craig

Charlie56

Adventurer
No APRS? That's too bad. APRS was the basic reason I bought the PC version in the first place. Integrating this feature sets ON apart from the rest of the crowd.

Akecj7

Observer
Thanks for the quick response! Has it been tried on the surface RT? I am thinking about trying some sort of windows type tablet due to the available mapping programs.

craig

I'm not aware of anyone who has tried it on that particular tablet.

Also, I haven't personally tried it under Windows 8. I'm only going by what has been reported.

theksmith

Explorer
Thanks for the quick response! Has it been tried on the surface RT? I am thinking about trying some sort of windows type tablet due to the available mapping programs.

unless an RT specific version has been made available then it would not work. Windows RT tablets are not the same thing as Windows 8 tablets, RT is it's own animal which does not typically run existing Windows applications.

RT devices us a different chip architecture and require applications be compiled specifically to work with that. the more expensive Surface PRO does run a standard Intel x86 type architecture with a "normal" version of Windows 8 which is for the most part backwards compatible with 95% of the apps that ran in Windows 7 on a standard desktop. also originally the RT tablets were only intended to install apps from the MS app-store, but that may have changed.

you might look at the Dell Latitude 10 tablet as an affordable Windows 8 tablet (not the XPS series, that's RT again), or the ASUS VivoTab Smart.

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I know you have been working on an iPad version, would it be any easier/faster to do an Android version instead? It seems that dedicated GPS hardware is getting prohibitively expensive for our needs, but there is no tablet/software setup that really works either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78