Overland Trailer - Lowe’s 3x5 Carry On - Kevin

Step 1: Locate a 3x5 trailer that has been sitting at Lowe’s for a while, then talk the Lowe’s manager down from $479 to $350 by using cash and pointing out as many scratches and dents as possible. Buying in winter also helps.

Step 2: Cut and grind off all the expanded sheet metal, and the fenders, and most of the angle iron uprights.

Step 3: Cut off the tongue.

Step 4: Weld on a Curt 36” 2x2 receiver tube.

*Installing a 3500lb straight axle (no camber) with a 6x5.5 lug pattern to match our Montero. I aready have matching Mitsubishi Montero wheels, and new matching Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires in the same size as the Montero.

Plans are to use 1.5” angle iron, 1”x2” uprights, and 1” crossbars to make a perch for our 2 Road Showers, 4’ Lifetime table, 42”x48” Tepui roof top tent, and 4 X-Bull traction mats. Inside the trailer will be 3 XL Plano cases. On the tongue will be an aluminum diamond plate tongue box I just scored on Ebay for $90 shipped, which will hold the toolbag, compressor bag, and recovery equipment. This will leave the back of our Montero for our cooler, and the dog. In theory we could double stack the Plano cases and fit the cooler inside the trailer if needed. Will likely weld up some Jeep style fenders that we can step on, and will probably weld in a floor and sides. The more dirt we can keep out the better (hence the expanded sheet metal going bye-bye).

I’ve been working with my middle child on this one. She is 14 and getting a grinding internship. More pics to come.

Oh yeah... My 8 year old helped name it Kevin... (I don’t name vehicles, but it doesn’t have an engine, so I let it slide)

James

I have a big long build thread on overlandbound, which isn’t really getting any reaponses. It’s a pain to copy/paste, and everyone just wants pictures anyway, ao here are all the pics of the progress.

*Everything has been changed from the original trailer, the only thing left from the Lowe’s 3x5 is the basic 1.5” angle iron frame. Leaf springs, axle, sides, wheels, tires, tongue, wiring, ball coupler, all different. I would have saved a lot of time simply building it from scratch.

James

bdog1

Adventurer
Think I’d put a couple of gussets on that tongue, just because. 45* back to the second crossmember, pick up four more contact points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAM298

Looks good, same trailer I started with as well. Learned a lot along the way, still use it but I'd have done some things different knowing what I know now. Can't wait to see finished product.

Spanna 53

How come you didn't build it from scratch ?? Years ago was given a 6x4 trailer just used the lights axle and springs and coupling to make an IRB trailer making a new frame was quicker than rehashing the old trailer good camping Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears