Overlanding Tires

wADVr

Adventurer
I'm surprised on the lack of Goodyear MTR Kevlar support. I've never been one to jump on the latest tire trend or hype but I must admit I am very happy with my GY MTR Kevlars. Maybe because they are siped but they have worked better than expected on all types of terrain from compact snow/ice, deep snow, hiway travel, muddy/slippery trails, rock etc.. Only noticeable downfall if you can consider it that is having to run lower than my normal air pressure to achieve the same floatation on snow. I have been getting better than anticipated tread wear as I keep them rotated religiously every 5k and they are quite and smooth IMHO for such an aggressive tire.

skates04

Adventurer
Im running MT/Rs on my JK right now, definitely not an overland tire but they are surprisingly quiet and comfortable on the street. If money isn't an issue I would actually consider them for an overland tire, my problem is they cost to much to take on long trips with lots of highway driving because they will probably wear quickly.

I ran the Cooper ST MAXX on my CRD Liberty and they were a great tire. They never even seemed to wear (Were on the vehicle when I sold it) Great off road traction, good in snow/ice, and were good on the street/highway they also have a tough sidewall !

Chuck59

Observer
Im running MT/Rs on my JK right now, definitely not an overland tire but they are surprisingly quiet and comfortable on the street. If money isn't an issue I would actually consider them for an overland tire, my problem is they cost to much to take on long trips with lots of highway driving because they will probably wear quickly.

I ran the Cooper ST MAXX on my CRD Liberty and they were a great tire. They never even seemed to wear (Were on the vehicle when I sold it) Great off road traction, good in snow/ice, and were good on the street/highway they also have a tough sidewall !

As Cooper is doing away my favorite S/T, the ST Maxx will be next choice of Overlanding tire.

cnutco

Adventurer
I wish the Duratracs or the ST/Maxx would come in 255/85r16!!! I'm running brand new KM2 in that size now, so maybe one of them will before I need a new set. Either that or I need to bump up on wheel size.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Duratracs are an awesome all around tire but once you get into some serious mud you'll wish you had some KM2's or MTR's. I got by on terra grapplers for a year but after VOT the first thing I did was get new tires.

BBailey

Explorer
Here's another vote for the Kevlar MTR's (mounted on Pintler beadlocks which will likely be replaced with some ATX slabs in the near future). Have a set of 37's on my JK, it's daily driven (80 miles a day) and have zero complaints. They have been great on rocky trails, mud, dry trails, snow, and even ice. And I have no complaints about them in the dry on pavement, noise is comparable to other similar tires I've run. Wear has been reasonable as I'll get at least 25k miles out of a set and won't run them anywhere near fully worn out before replacing them.

Like them enough that I'll be purchasing a new set when my trailer arrives (which will also be running the same tire/wheel combo as the JK).

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
-1 on Duratracs

Pros:
Good off-road performance
Good on-road performance
Adequate wear and durability

Cons:
Poor noise

I am at that age where I know how to handle myself when life throws a curve ball. I don't let a punctured sidewall, erectile dysfunction, or excess road noise stand in my way. However, we're talking about "overlanding" tires, right? To me, that means a quiet, comfortable tire that spends 70% of the time on-pavement, 20% of the time on gravel, and 10% of the time on terrain that most motorists wouldn't even consider traversing.

For this reason, I will not be getting Duratracs again; particularly so I can enjoy the melancholic whisperings of contemporary folk music during my otherwise mundane daily commute. I am looking forward to installing different meat. These Duratracs are nearly spent and had a good run, but I'm not in love. I recommend them for a weekend off-roader, but not necessarily a long-distance off-roader.

11318651416_ff8fe5bb93_b.jpg

4562009112_297312151f_b.jpg

tommudd

Explorer
-1 on Duratracs

Pros:
Good off-road performance
Good on-road performance
Adequate wear and durability

Cons:
Poor noise

I am at that age where I know how to handle myself when life throws a curve ball. I don't let a punctured sidewall, erectile dysfunction, or excess road noise stand in my way. However, we're talking about "overlanding" tires, right? To me, that means a quiet, comfortable tire that spends 70% of the time on-pavement, 20% of the time on gravel, and 10% of the time on terrain that most motorists wouldn't even consider traversing.

For this reason, I will not be getting Duratracs again; particularly so I can enjoy the melancholic whisperings of contemporary folk music during my otherwise mundane daily commute. I am looking forward to installing different meat. These Duratracs are nearly spent and had a good run, but I'm not in love. I recommend them for a weekend off-roader, but not necessarily a long-distance off-roader.

Interesting on the Duratracs, not that noisy to me at all keep the rotated every 3500-4000 miles, have 65,000 on them now and they'll run through the winter no problems. My Step father is 86 and can't hear himself fart but we can run down the road at 75 and he can hear me in the backseat when we're talking. Have a couple of friends who have them and no noise issues either. Another friend did but then in 40,000 miles he rotated them ONCE!! plus bad alignment

NO onthe Dura tracs?

Hey Cshontz, Thanks for the opinion. I am in the process of looking for tires now my self so far everyone said the dura tracs were quiet, I am probably your age 60 and I am looking for more aggressive tire than what I have but I don't want the noise. SO what have you come up with? I have falkens ats 285 70 17 on my 08 wrangler rubicon, I am a geologist so my 4 door is a daily driver often involving 1 to 2 hour commutes to my worksite. The falkens have been great on the road quiet and I ave about 50 k on them and am just hitting the wear marks. so for you these may be a good choice, and frankly the price is great . What tire are you considering? My requirements are very similar to yours, my only thoughts are I would like sme thing a little better in the mud and shallow wet snow over mud, that is where I had some " moments" with the falkens realistically when I got out to walk the trail ahead I almost went down cause it was so slick. Thanks

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I have to put a vote in for my Cooper Discovery ATP's, I've have had them on the beach in the Outer Banks, up at Raush Creek numerous times, in 2 foot of snow, and at the Vermont Overland Rally. Never slipped a bead, tore a sidewall or had a single puncture. With over 30,000 miles on them they still have a lot of tread left and remain quiet on-road. The best part was that they were only 115 a piece.

Coopers.jpg

Last edited:

Chuck59

Observer
Seriously, don't most folks buy what the local vendor pushes? Then come on a forum and try to tell others how smart their purchase was? Human nature.

Lots of good tires out there.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Seriously, don't most folks buy what the local vendor pushes? Then come on a forum and try to tell others how smart their purchase was?

Um.... No? Not since the Internet was invented. Tires are not a casual impulse buy. Most people have to budget and save for them, and have plenty of time to think seriously about the specific attributes that are important to them, do the reasearch, and buy accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger