OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

Regarding the pressure vent, I picked up one from WM that was mentioned in another one of your posts; going to be installing it this weekend along with the bed-rug and hopefully the D-side platform to start building off of.
Jay put mine in during installation. It was pretty easy. He just did a good seal job around the 3” hole as well as the 4 screw holes with the same 3m stuff he uses. Totally water tight.

I just took the the white collared cowling tube that comes with it and cut it down for the the thickness of my interior insulation and screwed that in with some self tapping screws and put in some high flow dacron aquarium filter and held it in with a spring steel clip. I think I put an Amazon link to the filter material earlier in this thread.

Post up some pics of your interior design as it develops. And…whats up with that avatar picture of a Westy (?) ? Very old rig?

Last edited:

AZflyer

On the fence:
Positive pressure vent
awning install - never really used one, also in PNW and would be more for rain than sun. Likely have them prep/frame out in case of future Ez awn and instead do keder rail awning track (seems that they will only do this on both sides rather than just one)

enjoying browsing all the builds

I had Jay mount a 23Zero 180* awning on the back above the barn doors. IMO this is necessary since the back is wide open and exposed, provides great shade from sun and keeps thing dryer in the rain.PXL_20220920_213927739.jpg

flydream

I really like that awning. I'm still not sure that we are awning people and will probably just stick with awning track on sides and back for now, can always have awning mounted in the future if we find we are missing it. Also forced to park on the street and want a minimum of camper stuff hanging off.

How do you manage the gap between the awning and the camper in the rain?

dstefan

How do you manage the gap between the awning and the camper in the rain?

DK about @AZflyer, but I made this gutter out of some coated ripstop nylon fabric I’ve had laying around and some Keder strip. I had it out today to further water proof it as it was slightly leaky when we had a LOT of rain recently while up in MN and MI.
1666650237843.jpeg
Luckily, the 23Zero has an empty awning C channel groove at the bottom of the mounting plate. We just added a C channel strip to the camper above the doors and slide this into both channels. Works really well for the most part.

Got the C channel and the Keder strip at https://www.sailrite.com/ . We’re lucky to have a local shoe repair shop that will do heavy duty sewing for us on things like this. Just had the Keder sewn on the fabric and seam sealed it. The fabric is 8” wide at one end and 4” on the other to give it a slope. Its also about 8“ longer than the camper is wide to let it pour off away from the tailgate a bit.

One of the few downsides to Jays design when it rains overnight is that due to the curve of the roof, when we open the doors and drop the TG in the morning, the weight shift causes a small dump of rainwater thats been sitting on the rear of the roof. The gutter is super helpful with that.

dstefan

While I’m in a posting mood… I’ve been meaning to put this up …

We’ve been happily using a gravity fed hose/spigot from a Scepter can for the last 18mos. Works great for filling bottles, pots, etc, but the downside was it was hard if not impossible to use solo for hand/face washing etc. without getting soapy hands all over the spigot. So, we did this:
1666652053995.jpeg
1666652085062.jpeg
1666652155734.jpeg
Now one person can trigger the spigot with an elbow or heel of the hand. Much more convenient in camp.

It’s a cheap magnetic base ball head camera mount from Amazon. The clamp is also a cheap aluminum camera gear clamp that comes tapped in several spots for a standard tripod screw mount (1/4-20), also from Amazon.

The mag base is rubberized and holds firmly, but is easy to pop off the fender. I just mounted a small steel plate above the Scepter on a wall panel to hang it up inside. We leave it setup and just move the mount inside or outside while traveling until its time to refill the Scepter. Instant water whenever we drop the TG. No repositioning the jug or undoing the hose. Never had a leak so far.

flydream

DK about @AZflyer, but I made this gutter out of some coated ripstop nylon fabric I’ve had laying around and some Keder strip. I had it out today to further water proof it as it was slightly leaky when we had a LOT of rain recently while up in MN and MI.
View attachment 748803
Luckily, the 23Zero has an empty awning C channel groove at the bottom of the mounting plate. We just added a C channel strip to the camper above the doors and slide this into both channels. Works really well for the most part.

Very nice, thanks for posting.

deuceb

I put my deposit down and can't wait to get my mine. I'm starting to think of my build out options and was wondering for all the people who got theirs do you have any regrets with options you didn't do? Could have been for financial reasons, or just didn't think it was worth it when you ordered and now you regret it. I'm definitely going with barn doors and probably as many windows as I can get. Is there any reason. Is the extra bed height worth it? Comfort is the key to keeping the gf happy.

I just found this thread so I at least have a lot of pages and builds to go through in the meantime, but curious any current owners thoughts on what they may have wished they'd done. Thanks!

BTW this is going on a DCLB Taco.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The windows to me are a waste. It's a small space and windows are thermally really inefficient. Expensive and I don't see a benefit but that's me.

Looking back I probably wouldn't go with the barn doors. I find them more of a hassle than the benefit of standing on my tailgate.

Torn on my AF height vs the extra height. Pros and cons to both but I would still lean towards the lower profile overall.

Really enjoy the side hatch and having just one has been the right set up for me.

I wish I would have had roof rails installed from the get go along with my fan.

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
The windows to me are a waste. It's a small space and windows are thermally really inefficient. Expensive and I don't see a benefit but that's me.

Looking back I probably wouldn't go with the barn doors. I find them more of a hassle than the benefit of standing on my tailgate.

Torn on my AF height vs the extra height. Pros and cons to both but I would still lean towards the lower profile overall.

Really enjoy the side hatch and having just one has been the right set up for me.

I wish I would have had roof rails installed from the get go along with my fan.

I bought a brand new roll of reflectix at Goodwill and cut it to fit around the windows. After running an AT Habitat w no windows, I do like being able to see out my passenger side and out the back of the truck, even w the anytime camera switch on my rear camera. I figure without having the artic pack for the pop-up portion, the heat loss through the vinyl will outweigh the windows, or the increased loss will be minimal when considering it as a whole.

I went w the added height as one of my main complaints of the Habitat was having to move bedding all the time, so wanted a good spot to keep everything.

dstefan

I put my deposit down and can't wait to get my mine. I'm starting to think of my build out options and was wondering for all the people who got theirs do you have any regrets with options you didn't do? Could have been for financial reasons, or just didn't think it was worth it when you ordered and now you regret it. I'm definitely going with barn doors and probably as many windows as I can get. Is there any reason. Is the extra bed height worth it? Comfort is the key to keeping the gf happy.

I just found this thread so I at least have a lot of pages and builds to go through in the meantime, but curious any current owners thoughts on what they may have wished they'd done. Thanks!

Options are highly personal and dependent on how you plan to use the rig. For me at 6’3” with a tricky back and neck and never going without my wife that might mean something different than for you. That said, after 51 nights now (my wife loves to keep track) here’s my $.02. How you plan your interior build also is a factor.

My gotta haves:
-Extra cabover height — means I can sit up straight in bed and save my back and neck. Because I didn’t want N/S oriented benches where I could move cushions/mattress pieces up to the bed, it also means we can put all bedding in the cabover
- Flip-up window hatches — I reach in ALL the time for things. They really reduce crawling in and out. Depends a lot on your interior configuration and your height and reach.
-Barndoors (top only) — I do stand on the TG a lot (as a photographer it often gives me a shooting angle I couldn’t otherwise get) and it also makes getting in and out easier on my back. I also have the D-side door with NO rear window and 3 hinges to serve as a swing out for the Trasharoo, extra gas, and a roll down kitchen bag (on the inside). Super handy.
- On board air — not a Jay option of course, but save your money on something you dont need for this. My most used mod after the fridge. You cannot overestimate how much dust will get on the back and migrate inside without blowing the doors off. And airing down/up of course.
- Edit: Oh yeah, Positive Pressure Vent — Absolutely!
- Lift Struts
- Reversable Maxair fan
- Vinyl windows in tent sides
— unless you are sure you’re only a fair weather camper

Coulda saved my money:
-Rooftop solar cable gland and wiring— Depends on your loads of course, but I can run for 4 nights, 5 days in mild to warmish weather on my 100ah Battleborn with a 50qt ARB, lights, charging phones and tablets (4 total), and running a 12v heating pad at night. I have a small portable solar panel I never use. Battery charges off the alternator/starter battery with a DCDC charger.
-Front Window to back of cab — Rear visability sucked through my P-side barndoor window and my cabinet blocks it now, so I just insulated over the cab facing window and keep the rear P-side barndoor window covered with Relectix on velcro to keep sun and heat out. Glad to have the one rear window though to be able to see whats out there when inside if we need to.
- 3rd Brake light - Covered by awning. Wasn't extra when I bought, but I think its extra now.

On the fence:
- Thermal liner—
It works, but it’s a pain to put up and down, since you cant close the lid with it. Gets a bit wet if there‘s much condensation in a moister environment. Probably worth it in a dry cold environment if you don't plan a heater or are cold sensitive. Works well to keep the tent sides from heating up too much in direct, hot sun.

YMMV!

Last edited:

jagarcia89

I agree on the windows. Heavy, thermally inefficient and expensive. So I skipped them.

As for must haves:
-front cab slider. I use this a lot for ventilation or passing wires

- positive pressure vent. It works. I haven’t sealed my bed at all and have a ton of visible gaps. I don’t have any issue with dust and I drive very fast down dirt roads.

- bike repair stand studs- I’m so happy I did this. Think of how you’ll use the camper and add things that make it you.
3833ff4874005abbb64377dfd8861f70.jpg

For things I got and didn’t need:
- awning. Maybe. It’s just rare we are hanging out outside the truck in the sun. So it was an extra $1000 or so and probably 50+lbs for something I haven’t really used yet. But I’m only 2 months in and maybe 13-15 nights so maybe it will change.

- awning c channel- jay talked me into this and it was cheap. But not necessary with the 270 awning. In hindsight should have only done these as every rig I’ve had in the past I’ve just used rip top tarp and poles.

Wish I had:
- kind of wish I had the external rails. Just for storage. Not 100% need and not sure it’s worth the cost. But would be nice

- mattress- just would’ve been nice to pick up and have a mattress solution and not deal with it later.

- solar gland- I didn’t do this because I had done so many before and it’s easy. But it was kind of a pain getting all the materials together and determining position, etc…. Probably worth it just to have it done. However, I am finding my 180w roof mount panel has limited functionality during the first and last few hours of the day so still have to use free standing panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crismateski

American Adventurist
View attachment 748803

Got the C channel and the Keder strip at https://www.sailrite.com/ . We’re lucky to have a local shoe repair shop that will do heavy duty sewing for us on things like this. Just had the Keder sewn on the fabric and seam sealed it. The fabric is 8” wide at one end and 4” on the other to give it a slope. Its also about 8“ longer than the camper is wide to let it pour off away from the tailgate a bit.

One of the few downsides to Jays design when it rains overnight is that due to the curve of the roof, when we open the doors and drop the TG in the morning, the weight shift causes a small dump of rainwater thats been sitting on the rear of the roof. The gutter is super helpful with that.
I have been thinking of doing this exact thing, thank you for the link it will help

dstefan

I have been thinking of doing this exact thing, thank you for the link it will help
You‘re welcome… its a straightforward project. Just dont make the mistake I did and try to match up two 4 foot pieces of the awning track over the camper doors. It was a bear to seal up and get rid of a drip.

Get the 8 or 9 foot length they have at Sailright and cut it down for a one piece track.

mishoy

I agree on the windows. Heavy, thermally inefficient and expensive. So I skipped them.

As for must haves:
-front cab slider. I use this a lot for ventilation or passing wires

- positive pressure vent. It works. I haven’t sealed my bed at all and have a ton of visible gaps. I don’t have any issue with dust and I drive very fast down dirt roads.

- bike repair stand studs- I’m so happy I did this. Think of how you’ll use the camper and add things that make it you.
3833ff4874005abbb64377dfd8861f70.jpg

For things I got and didn’t need:
- awning. Maybe. It’s just rare we are hanging out outside the truck in the sun. So it was an extra $1000 or so and probably 50+lbs for something I haven’t really used yet. But I’m only 2 months in and maybe 13-15 nights so maybe it will change.

- awning c channel- jay talked me into this and it was cheap. But not necessary with the 270 awning. In hindsight should have only done these as every rig I’ve had in the past I’ve just used rip top tarp and poles.

Wish I had:
- kind of wish I had the external rails. Just for storage. Not 100% need and not sure it’s worth the cost. But would be nice

- mattress- just would’ve been nice to pick up and have a mattress solution and not deal with it later.

- solar gland- I didn’t do this because I had done so many before and it’s easy. But it was kind of a pain getting all the materials together and determining position, etc…. Probably worth it just to have it done. However, I am finding my 180w roof mount panel has limited functionality during the first and last few hours of the day so still have to use free standing panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which external rail would you get?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998