OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

montechie

Heard from Maggie that I'll be able to pick up mid November! Has anyone had any success in insuring their camper? I'm going to call my insurance company and ask about accessories coverage as one idea.

Snow and a low of 19* here on Friday/Saturday.

Bought a Lavaner Pro Alpine 5kw diesel heater and spent some time over the weekend building it into a hard case. May install it into the camper at some point but for now want to test it out as a portable version.
I was able to insure mine with Farm Bureau fine, I think just as a camper for the value and was a non-issue/quick, I just had to provide the invoice from OVRLND. I don't remember the amount (it's all rolled in), but it wasn't much.

Pra4sno

I was able to insure mine with Farm Bureau fine, I think just as a camper for the value and was a non-issue/quick, I just had to provide the invoice from OVRLND. I don't remember the amount (it's all rolled in), but it wasn't much.
Thanks for letting me know!

Bergger

Explorer
Check with your insurance company. Each is most likely differenct. I called ours, State Farm, after I had our AT Summit installed. I asked about getting it insured. After sending them the invoice and photographs I was told it was covered under our general policy and was not going to cost anymore. They saw it as a topper and not a camper even with the Truma heater. It needed to have heat, a sleeping area, and a permanent cooking kitchen to be considered a camper. I was a bit surprised by this and questioned them, since it cost me around 18k, but they had all that info along with photos and assured me it was covered with no increase to my premium.

Annapurna

I have a 23Zero 180° on the back of the camper. Its great structurally, easy to deploy and stow. Decent in the rain since I made a gutter that works over the tailgate. Light too - just 22lbs (using Jay fabricated brackets, not their boat anchors designed for racks).

Downsides are water pooling in rain (not that big a deal) and it gets hot, really hot, in direct sun. Over 75° in the direct sun, I have to throw a reflective sheet on top, which is a hassle, and then it’s OK. Hard to believe its an Aussie company … I‘ve heard rumors they have sun there too …🤔

View attachment 794447

View attachment 794448
I’d love to see your gutter. How are you attaching it over the camper? I have the OVS 270 and love it except for the gap in the back when it rains.

dstefan

I’d love to see your gutter. How are you attaching it over the camper? I have the OVS 270 and love it except for the gap in the back when it rains.
I don’t have any pictures of it put up, but here’s an earlier post about it:
DK about @AZflyer, but I made this gutter out of some coated ripstop nylon fabric I’ve had laying around and some Keder strip. I had it out today to further water proof it as it was slightly leaky when we had a LOT of rain recently while up in MN and MI.
View attachment 748803
Luckily, the 23Zero has an empty awning C channel groove at the bottom of the mounting plate. We just added a C channel strip to the camper above the doors and slide this into both channels. Works really well for the most part.

Got the C channel and the Keder strip at https://www.sailrite.com/ . We’re lucky to have a local shoe repair shop that will do heavy duty sewing for us on things like this. Just had the Keder sewn on the fabric and seam sealed it. The fabric is 8” wide at one end and 4” on the other to give it a slope. Its also about 8“ longer than the camper is wide to let it pour off away from the tailgate a bit.

One of the few downsides to Jays design when it rains overnight is that due to the curve of the roof, when we open the doors and drop the TG in the morning, the weight shift causes a small dump of rainwater thats been sitting on the rear of the roof. The gutter is super helpful with that.
Here’s a picture of the channel on the camper.
1699545457646.jpeg
Don’t make the same mistake I did and use two pieces of awning track. You can get 9’ sections from Sailrite.com . I had to seal the gap and it took several tries. Also, Sailrite sells two different Keder strips, one is woven cordura around a solid, flexible poly type core. I used that one, which may be wicking a bit through the woven cordura and has needed several waterproofing applications. The second kind is a molded HD rubber like material. It might be better, but harder to sew.

The awning strip/c channel on the awning is very conveniently built in to the bottom of the mounting panel of the awning. Unless you have that on yours you’d have to find a way to attach the gutter to the side of your awning. I suppose velcro could work, or Sailrite, again, also has a flexible awning track they sell that might work if you don’t have a solid surface that you can use the awning track on.

Also, look a AluCabs Shadow Awn 270º awning on their website. They (used to?) sell a gutter for that awning. It’s where I got the idea. You might be able to adapt that one?

Whatever you do is worth the effort. The gutter makes the camper/tailgate waaaay more liveable in bad weather. Otherwise, we were just soaking the Bedrug on tailgate and getting water in the camper. With the gutter, it’s like a covered porch in the rain.

Happy to answer any other questions. Hope this helps you.

Annapurna

I don’t have any pictures of it put up, but here’s an earlier post about it:

Here’s a picture of the channel on the camper.
View attachment 805189
Don’t make the same mistake I did and use two pieces of awning track. You can get 9’ sections from Sailrite.com . I had to seal the gap and it took several tries. Also, Sailrite sells two different Keder strips, one is woven cordura around a solid, flexible poly type core. I used that one, which may be wicking a bit through the woven cordura and has needed several waterproofing applications. The second kind is a molded HD rubber like material. It might be better, but harder to sew.

The awning strip/c channel on the awning is very conveniently built in to the bottom of the mounting panel of the awning. Unless you have that on yours you’d have to find a way to attach the gutter to the side of your awning. I suppose velcro could work, or Sailrite, again, also has a flexible awning track they sell that might work if you don’t have a solid surface that you can use the awning track on.

Also, look a AluCabs Shadow Awn 270º awning on their website. They (used to?) sell a gutter for that awning. It’s where I got the idea. You might be able to adapt that one?

Whatever you do is worth the effort. The gutter makes the camper/tailgate waaaay more liveable in bad weather. Otherwise, we were just soaking the Bedrug on tailgate and getting water in the camper. With the gutter, it’s like a covered porch in the rain.

Happy to answer any other questions. Hope this helps you.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful. Sailrite is amazing. I used their canvas and Sunbrella binding to make my curtains. Great to know about the awning track and Keder strips!

KellyM

Adventurer
For those of you running a propane tank on the side of your campers, have you run into any issues from hitting branches etc. on narrow trails? I am thinking of adding a Propex furnace and am considering where to mount a10lb tank. The side of the camper is the most likely spot for me (don't have barn doors). I'm looking for feedback, good or bad, from those who are running that setup. Thanks.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I run my tank on my RIGD Megaswing because I was worried about catching the tank on close trails if it was side mounted.

I believe @dstefan had his on the barn door, and had an extra hinge added too, but in talking w Jay, he is confident that only two are needed now.

Any reason not to mount it inside like @PirateMcGee ?

KellyM

Adventurer
I run my tank on my RIGD Megaswing because I was worried about catching the tank on close trails if it was side mounted.

I believe @dstefan had his on the barn door, and had an extra hinge added too, but in talking w Jay, he is confident that only two are needed now.

Any reason not to mount it inside like @PirateMcGee ?
Thanks for the feedback. How has it been using the Megaswing? I also have been considering that route since it would solve the problem of where to put the Trasharoo and provide a swingaway base for 1Up bike racks as well. But I wondered about whether it would be cumbersome to always have to swing the rack open to get inside of the camper.

dstefan

For those of you running a propane tank on the side of your campers, have you run into any issues from hitting branches etc. on narrow trails? I am thinking of adding a Propex furnace and am considering where to mount a10lb tank. The side of the camper is the most likely spot for me (don't have barn doors). I'm looking for feedback, good or bad, from those who are running that setup. Thanks.
FWIW, if you look at page 1, post 2 of this thread you can find links to Crollison’s (aka Yeti Overland) Ovrlnd build threads for both his Tacoma and then Tundra. In both cases he had a side mounted propane tank directly plumbed through the wall to a Propex. Evidently, it worked OK on his first Ovrlnd so he repeated it on his second. Unfortunately, he’s disappeared from this forum. You *might* be able to find him on Tundras.com to ask questions.

‘Course it depends on how tight the trails are that you frequent. I couldn’t do it, but it works for some. Are you planning to plumb it through the wall to your heater, or just store it on the side of the camper?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Picking our camper up on Monday so long as the weather in the San Juans cooperates and the roads stay open. Going to spend a night in the FLG area and then start our trek back up to northern Colorado over a few days.

Pack some cold weather gear as we've got a front coming through right now. You'll be able to find some good spots off of 180 to camp if you'd like...FR 794 or thereabouts....be aware it is elk season too, so it might be busy. There is some snow on the Peaks, but shouldn't be too low just yet.

Macys, Tourist Home , Foret, or MartAnnes for breakfast good eats. Dark Sky Brewery for beers and damn good pizza. NiMarcos just for pizza and wings.

Pra4sno

Pack some cold weather gear as we've got a front coming through right now. You'll be able to find some good spots off of 180 to camp if you'd like...FR 794 or thereabouts....be aware it is elk season too, so it might be busy. There is some snow on the Peaks, but shouldn't be too low just yet.

Macys, Tourist Home , Foret, or MartAnnes for breakfast good eats. Dark Sky Brewery for beers and damn good pizza. NiMarcos just for pizza and wings.
Appreciate the heads up and the recommendations, will be sure to check those out! We've been monitoring the weather over the last week and are pretty geared up - if we aren't feeling it we'll bail and grab cheap accommodations in town.

Last edited:

KellyM

Adventurer
FWIW, if you look at page 1, post 2 of this thread you can find links to Crollison’s (aka Yeti Overland) Ovrlnd build threads for both his Tacoma and then Tundra. In both cases he had a side mounted propane tank directly plumbed through the wall to a Propex. Evidently, it worked OK on his first Ovrlnd so he repeated it on his second. Unfortunately, he’s disappeared from this forum. You *might* be able to find him on Tundras.com to ask questions.

‘Course it depends on how tight the trails are that you frequent. I couldn’t do it, but it works for some. Are you planning to plumb it through the wall to your heater, or just store it on the side of the camper?
Thanks. I saw that Crollison had his on the side of his two campers. I would like to have it plumbed through the camper, but probably wouldn't keep it connected while in route. It looks like you have a Truma Vario. Is that correct and do you like it? Did you install it yourself?

Thanks

Kelly

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

I'm looking at changing my propane set up to an exterior door mount with this hatch on the side. Looking to maximize interior space since I'm starting with a new truck.

Reactions: KDB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears