OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dirtnsmores

so many great answers here! Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Here's another one for ya:

Who transports a dog in the bed under the OVRLND Camper? Live in southern California so it can get warm. I will have the camper insulated and Jay says I can drive with the fan running. So... I'm hoping the one sliding window will be enough to let in some air back there. I always keep a remote thermometer in the bed and cab with me to monitor temps.

Air Down Gear Up

Here's a recent customer setup that we thought was incredible!

This starts with a Super Pacific Camper, has an Eco Flow 5kWh battery + management system, a hard-mounted diesel heater and the Air Down Gear Up Truck Galley drawer system in the bed.

20231129_141228.jpg

Attachments

• 20231129_132326.jpg
    20231129_132326.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20231129_141233.jpg
    20231129_141233.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 57

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I put 275w of flexible solar on my roof and added the gland myself. It was pretty cheap and easy. Keeps the LiPO4 topped off when parked through dual 30 renogy charger. It also keeps the truck battery topped/maintained which is a bonus as my truck mostly sits during the week since I bike to work. I was running a 140ish Ah battery but a week at -17 hunting in MT killed it (was already used) so I picked up a 210Ah with temp protection. With the fridge running 24/7, lights, charging electronics, and the propex it adds up fast. Adding in a battery heater and maybe an electric blanky and I'm glad to have the solar.

Dave in AZ

What do you folks think about the flat roof, with solar on it, vs just using portable? I see this, but haven't decided yet:
1. Solar on roof, pros-- always there ready to produce. More theft resistant. Cons-- have to park in sun, shaded camp spots likely give little power. Flat roof on ovrlnd results in 50% power at max. Heavy on roof and air drag.
2. Solar portable panels, pros-- not on roof, can park in shade, can place panel in sun, can angle towards sun better for more power. Lighter, no drag, don't have to mess with roof, less complexity. Cons-- have to mess with them to lay out and angle, maybe adjust. Have to store in camper. More stealable when not being watched.

So, what do you all think? Roof or mobile? I have a 330w portable, amd a 130w portable, so I guess I could try just using them... but if folks think roof is way better, I don't mind putting 400 or 600 up there which will fit on mine.

I have a Tacoma OffRoad, which has a 400w inverter plug in pickup bed. There is a standard mod folks do to let it deliver 400w while driving, it comes stock 100w moving and 400w in park. So I will plug my power station into that and get 400w ac charging.

Does anyone with a popup ever leave one side down, to angle panels, like a wedge lets you do? Say park facing south, then drop the cab overhang side down once you're awake in morning?

Last edited:

Pra4sno

What do you folks think about the flat roof, with solar on it, vs just using portable? I see this, but haven't decided yet:
1. Solar on roof, pros-- always there ready to produce. More theft resistant. Cons-- have to park in sun, shaded camp spots likely give little power. Flat roof on ovrlnd results in 50% power at max. Heavy on roof and air drag.
2. Solar portable panels, pros-- not on roof, can park in shade, can place panel in sun, can angle towards sun better for more power. Lighter, no drag, don't have to mess with roof, less complexity. Cons-- have to mess with them to lay out and angle, maybe adjust. Have to store in camper. More stealable when not being watched.

So, what do you all think? Roof or mobile? I have a 330w portable, amd a 130w portable, so I guess I could try just using them... but if folks think roof is way better, I don't mind putting 400 or 600 up there which will fit on mine.

I have a Tacoma OffRoad, which has a 400w inverter plug in pickup bed. There is a standard mod folks do to let it deliver 400w while driving, it comes stock 100w moving and 400w in park. So I will plug my power station into that and get 400w dc to dc.

Does anyone with a popup ever leave one side down, to angle panels, like a wedge lets you do? Say park facing south, then drop the cab overhang side down once you're awake in morning?
Number one issue for me with portable panels has been wind blowing them over while I'm gone from my camp.

Isn't the Tacoma bed receptacle AC?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I don't like hassle when camping so oversizing my electrical/solar system to deal with inherent inefficiency was the route I've taken. I'm mostly away from camp hunting, fishing, riding around etc. For me, a portable solar panel is just one unnecessary extra thing to deal with. Solar is cheap these days and so are batteries.

dirtnsmores

Hey guys. OVRLND is about to start my build! I am getting the +3" extra cabover height. Hope it doesn't look too weird. Mainly because we'll be hanging out in it a lot on the weekends not just for camping trips but for day beach trips and between the kids sports games. I'll be in it during the week for my lunch breaks. I want it to feel as spacious as possible on my first gen Tundra, even if the top is down.

My question is about extra height at the entrance. They said they can make the half barn doors start higher if I want to make it have a larger opening. Any downfalls to this? Did any of you guys request this option? Mainly want it so that it's easier to climb in and out and load taller stuff when needed. But I always like asking people who have this camper already to make sure I'm not missing any potential negatives to such a custom request. Thanks guys!

dstefan

Congrats on getting started!

You’ll love the extra head room. I’m 6’ 2” and with an extra 2” cabover can sit upright in bed and on my bench seat that’s just shy of the full bed rail height and just brush the headliner in bed or on the bench when the top is down. An extra inch would be nice for me, but not critical. How tall are you?

Not sure on the barn doors. I don’t have any real problems going in or out with standard height, though I did hit my upper back a couple times while getting used to things. The main drawback might be mounting room for a rear awning if you‘re planning that.

Pra4sno

yes? Oh, i see I said dc to dc. Meant ac. So yeah, just plugging ac cord of power station in.
That makes sense! Didn't to intend to sound like I was nit picking - I don't have a Tacoma and was really interested if it had a 12v tap for DC to DC as that would be sweet in addition to the 120!

dirtnsmores

Congrats on getting started!

You’ll love the extra head room. I’m 6’ 2” and with an extra 2” cabover can sit upright in bed and on my bench seat that’s just shy of the full bed rail height and just brush the headliner in bed or on the bench when the top is down. An extra inch would be nice for me, but not critical. How tall are you?

Not sure on the barn doors. I don’t have any real problems going in or out with standard height, though I did hit my upper back a couple times while getting used to things. The main drawback might be mounting room for a rear awning if you‘re planning that.

Thanks! I may build a subfloor that's about 11" tall so any extra height would help. Pretty stoked on getting the 11" cabover

KellyM

Adventurer
Thanks! I may build a subfloor that's about 11" tall so any extra height would help. Pretty stoked on getting the 11" cabover
We have the +3" cabover on our F150 and love it. It was one of the main selling points for us as we wanted to keep our in-bed drawer system. I'm 6'2" and have a couple of inches above my head inside when standing on our drawers (they are 11" tall). I don't think it looks weird from the side, maybe a bit tall looking in the back. Taller half barn doors may help with that. Here are a few photos so you can get a sense of the look for yourself.t5.jpgt6.jpgt9.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpgt8.jpg

montechie

Hey guys. OVRLND is about to start my build! I am getting the +3" extra cabover height. Hope it doesn't look too weird. Mainly because we'll be hanging out in it a lot on the weekends not just for camping trips but for day beach trips and between the kids sports games. I'll be in it during the week for my lunch breaks. I want it to feel as spacious as possible on my first gen Tundra, even if the top is down.

My question is about extra height at the entrance. They said they can make the half barn doors start higher if I want to make it have a larger opening. Any downfalls to this? Did any of you guys request this option? Mainly want it so that it's easier to climb in and out and load taller stuff when needed. But I always like asking people who have this camper already to make sure I'm not missing any potential negatives to such a custom request. Thanks guys!
I think you'll love the extra height. I'm not very tall, so I can still sit up in the loft with the regular height, but barely at 5'8" when my bedding is folded up. Being able to sit "upstairs" is such an advantage to the OVRLND, I often work and read up there during the day while my wife is working downstairs.

I wouldn't want the taller height on my Gladiator and the trails we run with it (tight, lots of windfall), but would definitely consider it if we built a full-time + full-size rig.

montechie

I have a Tacoma OffRoad, which has a 400w inverter plug in pickup bed. There is a standard mod folks do to let it deliver 400w while driving, it comes stock 100w moving and 400w in park. So I will plug my power station into that and get 400w ac charging.

I got the solar roof ports, but only use 2 portable panels so far (~360watts). My plan is to use both eventually with some flexible panels up top on composite mounts like GrizzlyNBear setup recently, (lightweight, still provides airflow between roof and panels). I currently use the roof ports with my 2 portables when I'm in areas there's no shade and want to keep my panels away from sticky fingers. If both my wife and I were working on longer trips, I would definitely want both rooftop and portable to keep everything topped up. It's nice having the extra constant charging without relying only on my alternator (mid-size truck w/ 240amp alt).

Dave in AZ

I got the solar roof ports, but only use 2 portable panels so far (~360watts). My plan is to use both eventually with some flexible panels up top on composite mounts like GrizzlyNBear setup recently, (lightweight, still provides airflow between roof and panels). I currently use the roof ports with my 2 portables when I'm in areas there's no shade and want to keep my panels away from sticky fingers. If both my wife and I were working on longer trips, I would definitely want both rooftop and portable to keep everything topped up. It's nice having the extra constant charging without relying only on my alternator (mid-size truck w/ 240amp alt).
Thx. Dang, 240A is huge! Tacoma with tow package or off road only has 130A!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears