packing a Jeep for adventures

Mccool

Observer
I love seeing all the ActionPackers. They are definitely the way to go. My AP and Igloo cooler fit perfectly between the wheel wells of my old TJ and my new LJ.
_____
This was my old Jeep in Colorado a couple of years ago.
View attachment 205774

Quick question, what size action packer and cooler are you using that fit between the wheel wells? Thanks

No problem Lance here is pics of the kitchen bag, it needs some refinement but most everything is there and not at all bulky as compared to pelican cases or the elaborate setup some folks have. The MSR water bags are awesome, I have yet to have one leak bad and much easier to carry inside the Jeep. The bags are 10 liters each so 2 bags is roughly 5.3 gallons water and cost was $65 for both online. I always have a water filter if I do not have a reliable water sorce to resupply but most 3 day trips one 5 gallon water jug was plenty.
20131230_214540_zps97037592.jpg

20131230_214943_zps2e3cffc1.jpg

The contents is still a work in progress but I have everything I need to boil water or cook a meal.
2-Sea to Summit bowls 6 plates
2 REI mugs, I am adding another 2 of the new style that are a bit larger
Jetboil Helios guide system, has 1.5 and 3lt pot, 3 canisters of fuel because thats what I have but normaly carry one.
2 tall Nalgene bottles
MSR water pot (enough water for 3 full mugs of coffee)
cutting board
ziplock bag of instant coffee packets
collaspable sink and washing soap and bandana works well to dry or wash
paper towels
utensils
6 freeze dried meals
I need to add few items but the bag is about half full with this stuff and have more then enough room for anything else I would need to prepare a basic meal or for more food pouches.
The dry bags are really nice because they keep the dust out of everything, nothing worse then getting done with a long dirt road trip and having to shake out the dust of your sleeping bag. One bag has all sleeping bags, pads and pillow for my wife and daughter and my bag has the same plus extra clothing and beach towels etc.
20131230_215338_zps1d0844a3.jpg

OK, Is that a 98KUPD sticker in the top of the kitchen bag? I think so, but my wife things I'm wrong...

TripLeader

Explorer
Quick question, what size action packer and cooler are you using that fit between the wheel wells? Thanks

It's a 24 gallon AP and an Igloo cooler (50 quart I think).
This photo is all the gear a friend a I took when we went to Utah a couple of years ago. You have to look close to see the AP behind the water jug. (There's two cots between them, which I normally don't put there, and we had to stuff in.)
Packing.jpg
This was the second day, as we were leaving a campsite we stayed in on the way there. Our packing got a little better as we figured out how to pack it tighter through trial and error.
The other thing I use is a Raingler net. I only have the net that divides the front seats from the rear. It helps to keep things and place. and from falling into the front. If I ever got into a wreck, I think it would do a good job of keeping most of the cargo in the back.

Mccool

Observer
Thanks for the reply and picture, I have a safari straps net between the front and back for the same reasons, works great.

TripLeader

Explorer
Here's my updated storage in my LJ. I built a platform. On the bottom you can see I have an actionpacker and my cooler. Behind them are my water jugs and my tools. Everything else is stored on top of the platform. I wish I would have built it years ago for my old TJ. It cost me about $40 in materials (plywood, screws, and varnish) and about four hours of my time.

_____
It makes it so much easier to pull out my food and eat anywhere I decide to, without having to unpack everything. It also makes it so much better for packing, and accessing gear while camping.

_____
The shelf is not mounted to the Jeep in any way, I was just able to make it fit very tight against the wheel wells. I did not have any issue with it moving at all.

_____
Capture.jpg

_____
I used this as a basic idea and template for the construction: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55999-Tales-of-the-Grey-Mouser/page6

Parras

Bringing this post back to life.

Started just with a hitch rack, not very convenient I have hit it several times.

back.jpg

Then a custom bumper, tire carrier and rear basket, which still does not convince me at all, it is heavy, bulky and makes the jeep look lower on the rear, the good thing is that it is removable.

back1.jpg
back3.jpg
back5.jpg
back4.jpg

Now I am designing a roof rack.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998