Past the point of no return...

docjake

Observer
;)

Good question. What influenced my thinking was maintenance, reliability and durability. My intended use for the vehicle is driving long distances to get to a wheeling destination for overland travel of generally not more than 2 weeks duration, so I want comfortable highway manners and ride but with the ability to handle challenging terrain beyond what my IFS could provide.

I considered leafs, radial arms, 3-link, and even 4-link. All present advantages and disadvantages. I ended up selecting radius arms with a panhard bar mainly because it met my above criteria on more points than the other options. Many modern SFA vehicles use the same sort of suspension - the 70 and 80-series Land Cruiser and Jeeps are examples. These control arms really don't require a lot of maintenance and these in particular are made of some serious steel - not the thin wall stuff you see on OEM vehicles. There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaf packs whatsoever; this is just the route I decided upon to meet my needs.

Now, you can make a good case for front leaf packs on an expo vehicle, but seriously, I'm really not going to take my Tacoma across equatroial Africa where I might have to scavenge for replacement parts from ancient vehicles abondoned in the jungle; and when armageddon happens the EMP will have fried my Tacoma ECM (and I'll be annoyed that I didn't get that FJ62) and the zombies have set off the last of the Claymore's, I'll just call in the FPF on my AO and call it a day. There. Deflected that possible thread hi-jack.

OBTW, if you just read this entire thread then you are probably AWOL - go report to your 1SG. ;)

Stay safe and keep us posted on your vehicle plans.

Meh Top doesn't come down to my office, us warrant officers just piss him off. My armageddon plans include keeping things light and anything that can't move under its own power stays where its at.
My thoughts behind the TG kit is that everything is included in one purchase and that I wouldn't have to source any other parts, my only concern is the height of the vehicle after the conversion. I am trying to keep the frame level low as this still going to be my dd. If I was able to adjust the ride height with them that would put a mark in the c/o box, I am still sourcing parts and have a long time until she will go under the knife. I am just trying to get as much information before it happens

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Splined shaft

You remember this... which limits the amount of flex.

CIMG1009.jpg

New secret weapon... which permits flex; just pull the pin.

CIMG1021.jpg

Greasable splined shaft with quick release pin (bolt for now)

CIMG1024.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
This should close out the thread with the addition of some new sliders and BFG KM2 315s. Thanks for viewing and all the comments.

CIMG1029.jpg

CIMG1028.jpg

CIMG1027.jpg

CIMG1026.jpg

Explorer
Thanks Tango, you just devalued every other Tacoma in existence, I hope you're happy now.

Oh wait I forgot, you're actually going to drive it to my place and rub my nose in it, then lead me on a trip where I'll have to stare at it until I succumb to its mighty power....

Next time you get that feeling of want, please just crush it in its tracks. Don't bring it to life and turn it on the rest of us!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Thanks Tango, you just devalued every other Tacoma in existence, I hope you're happy now.

Oh wait I forgot, you're actually going to drive it to my place and rub my nose in it, then lead me on a trip where I'll have to stare at it until I succumb to its mighty power....

Next time you get that feeling of want, please just crush it in its tracks. Don't bring it to life and turn it on the rest of us!

LOL. We'll see about "mighty power" when the 3RZ has to go up those hills you'all got out there.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but as PVT Pinkley said of the "Dirty Dozen": [impersonating a general] Very pretty, General. Very pretty. But, can they fight?

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
So now that its "complete", update us on its performance on the street and trail - was it everything you wanted? Anything you would have done differently? Plans for the 4BT swap in place yet?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
So now that its "complete", update us on its performance on the street and trail - was it everything you wanted? Anything you would have done differently? Plans for the 4BT swap in place yet?

Just got back from GSMTR Terry! Great conditions this year -- a little rainy early in the week but very comfortable and dry the rest of the time. The truck is clearly more capable than the owner.

It had no problem keeping up with the trucks from the usual cast of suspects you know. A few steep and off-camber sections sparked some concern due to the height, but it had no problem and felt really stable. Besides the customary pin-striping, everything is intact - it's so nimble with the grippy meats and low gearing - despite it's size. Not a lot of drama climbing ledges and there's so much clearance under the axles. Pulling the pin on the PS UCA gives me lots of articulation too.

On the highway at speed with everything locked or "pinned" - about 6000 miles now - and it's very stable with excellent highway manners. It does require a little more steering input than IFS but not that much more. Tracks straight and true. I'm very pleased with it and after its performance this weekend, very satisfied.

Differently? Smaller joints on the top (UCA) and a little less height.

I only have a shot of it in camp but hopefully someone will offer some pics from wheeling it. I think I have it all dialed in now between its off-road capability and my other kit.

On the mod list - camp light (LED) on the rear bumper; Helton heat exchanger; aux tank.

Do you find interesting... Sierra gears, about 14 months old in that clamshell diff, maybe 5,000 "gentle" miles and hardly any of them engaged in 4WD... just enough to knock the burrs off, built by IPOR, and I have no idea what to ask for it. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Custom, expedited delivery is extra - WAY-extra.

Every indication is you WILL see me in MT this summer; you might even think about doing Canada and AK after we hook up in MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater