Perfect off-highway tire = LTX? What?

Blommy

I am up to 20,000 miles on my set.
We are having a good bit of snow in Minnesota this winter and the LTX’s are doing great.
I have certainly went through deeper snow with them over the stock Wrangler’s. At times in the deeper drifts the truck begins to slow down a bit, but a little more gas and the tires self clean and keep going. I have yet to air them down for lack of traction. My little snow adventure rides are taking place on un-plowed potato farm field access roads. Knowing the road and keeping up momentum is key.

kbahus

Adventurer
I picked up some LTX's today for the Sequoia. I feel like I am downgrading from the Cooper AT3 4S that are on the truck, but the truck is mainly a highway queen mixed in with dirt roads. Hoping the new tires do well the rest of the winter and serve us well.

gwittman

Adventurer
I went through two sets of LTX M/S tires in over 160K miles combined. I think they are excellent street tires and do reasonably well in the snow. I still don't agree with the opinion of some that think they are also great off-road tires and do well in the mud. More power to anyone that wants to use them for that purpose.

Of course, with enough skill, some people can make anything work. I have also seen sedans with street tires in places I would never attempt with a car like that. I have also seen very capable vehicles get in trouble in mild conditions too. I have made a few rescues from some of those situations.

helenandtoby

Be sure you are getting the load range E1 tire!
The "Michelin Defender LTX M/S" comes in both E1 and SL Load Range. They look the same, but are very different tires.
I really like my LTX's, super strong!

ChrisCosta416

Update: Rattlesnake canyon complete! Did a majority of the side stuff. I think I have reached the point where my limit is the size of my tire now. I am paranoid that I will puncture the side wall on a rock so I was very careful but after all those sharp rocks that are doing fine!

At this point my General Grabbers were losing chunks off the side lugs. The defenders are still looking good!

IMG_7578 (1).JPG

MontySquareo

my old favorite tire was the Michelin ltx a/t2, but they're getting harder to find in certain sizes so i might get some defender ltx someday

kb1ejh

Just forked out the money for another set of LTX AT2. Hope they last as long as the last. I was at 83K+. Probably could have gone another 2K but am going to travel a bit this summer. I just wanted to have a little extra tread to explore with. Not 1 flat with that set and didn't get stuck, though I did use discretion on where I went at times.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Just forked out the money for another set of LTX AT2. Hope they last as long as the last. I was at 83K+. Probably could have gone another 2K but am going to travel a bit this summer. I just wanted to have a little extra tread to explore with. Not 1 flat with that set and didn't get stuck, though I did use discretion on where I went at times.
Why did you choose AT2 v. MS2?

kb1ejh

I live in empty Delaware. It's usually a 3+ hour drive to find any gravel forest roads at best. Given the fact that the AT are usually quieter than MS or MT I went for the more highway tire. Gotta make the drive to the trailheads which is 95% of the time on the tires. They came on the truck and didn't let me down so I figured I'd keep what works for me on there. I have used them in snow, barnyard mud pulling horse trailers and towing a travel trailer without an issue. For what I do they work fine. If I was in an area with more trails or snow I might consider the MS. For what I need they are a good fit.

gwittman

Adventurer
I think you are mistaking the LTX M/S for a true mud tire. The M/S is a quiet street tire and a good one. The AT has a more aggressive tread. Michelin's A/T 2 does not have as an aggressive tread as most AT tires, but it is more aggressive than any of the Michelin M/S tires.

Last edited:

kb1ejh

The other reason for the AT2 is that's about the only choice for my truck. The load rating is higher for the AT2 and since it is a tonner that's what I kind of need. They have worked well like I mentioned before. I looked at the Michelin configurator and there was the AT2 and I don't recall the other but I believe it was more of a snow tires. That was the only 2 choices for my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998