Petersons Ultimate Adventure Tundra

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
HOLY %^&*!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I've been a subscriber for oh 10 years and I've never seen that truck. their UA Taco is far and away the coolest custom they've ever done(all it needed was a diesel and it would have been perfect IMO) but I never knew they made a tundra too. Odd cause Petersens is a big fan of multi stage/issue build lay outs.

Edit: ya know as I'm typing this, it occurs to me that this may just be one of the invited guests eh? ;) I'm an idiot...

They did a "Toyota Tech" edition last month, but it was hardly the knob polishing they give to nearly every "Jeep special" they do oh say 3 times a year. Hell their "best 4x4's of all time" issue included a Scout and a first gen bronco... and NO mention of the toyota mini truck. that's just lunacy IMO.

Any way, great find.

Cheers

Dave

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Pretty sure that was a reader's truck that ran this years UA. Articles should be in the magazine around Nov/Dec.

It was not a Petersen's build.

Westy

Adventurer
That entire Tundra build is on Pirate4x4, as stated it is NOT a Peterson build. The owner of the truck is an active member over there and the fabrication done on that truck is top notch.

Rexsname

Explorer
Cubic Money! I guess it's nice that our hobby can have so many different ways to enjoy it. I just can't talk my way into that kind of expenditure.

Good for the owner.....I hope he had fun on his trip!

REX

01tundra

Explorer
Hey all - Just wanted to let you know I'm now a proud member of Expedition Portal and look forward to learning a lot over here, seems to be a vast amount of knowledge on this board and some really laid back folks. Didn't realize how many people I already knew over here!

Appreciate all the comments, my rig is now being transformed into more of an expedition vehicle.

I'm currently in the process of fabricating up a rack to mount my Engel MT35 over top of the rear speakers (behind the passenger side seat). The mounting shelf will be built off the cage using tube clamps, so it can be removed if needed.

I can already tell that this site is going to wear my wallet out :sombrero:!

Since I've joined this forum I've already added:

Water carrier w/ custom bed mount
Dual battery system w/ National Luna Solenoid & controller
Light Force 170 Striker lights
Outdoor temperature gauge
Tentcot (dual)
Engel MT35
and now studying expedition trailers........

Anyways, just excited to be part of this group and hopefully I can contribute a little knowledge also - I've found out over the years that I can learn & use a little something from all different types of groups (mud boggers / rocks crawlers / trail runners / crazy desert guys that like to jump stuff / different vehicle makes / etc).

I suppose I could just hijack this thread as my new build thread (if that's ok), because lately I've been randomly posting all over this board trying to find a place to land....

Here's the latest spec sheet on it -

Vehicle: 2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab

Engine: Factory 4.7L V-8 w/ 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.7L upper & lower oil pan, & Mishimoto aluminum radiator

Transmission: Factory Toyota 4-speed automatic (A340F) w/ dual TRU-COOL LPD coolers and Derale aux. fan

Transfer case: Atlas II 4-speed (5.4:1) & Summit Machine shifter knobs

Exhaust system: Factory manifolds, relocated catalytic converters, 18” S.S. HP2 Hushpower muffler, & custom exhaust

Front axle: Solid Dana 60 high-pinion front housing, Yukon 35-spline 4340 Chrome-Moly axle shafts, Yukon Super Joints, Yukon 5.13 R&P, ARB locker, Solid inner C’s, Solid king pin D-60 GM knuckles, Solid spindles, Solid D60 hub assemblies, & Warn locking hubs

Rear axle: GM 14-bolt, Yukon 5.13 R&P, ARB locker, High Angle 1350 u-bolt yoke, Trail Works custom truss & anti-wrap bar

Drive shafts: Tom Wood’s custom front shaft w/ 1350 Spicer CV & 10” slip, Tom Wood’s custom 2-piece rear shaft w/ 1350 Spicer joints & 1-ton GM center support bearing

Steering: PSC Saginaw 600 steering box, PSC 8” comp reservoir, PSC TC steering pump, PSC 1-1/2” x 6” hydraulic assist steering ram, 12” inline cooler, Borgeson collapsible steering shaft & joints, custom springless Solid D60 keyed 6-bolt hi-steer arms, Budbuilt 1-1/4” O.D. x 0.281” wall DOM tie rod & drag link w/ GM TRE’s, Superlift 1104 pitman arm, customized All-Pro tie rod steering ram mount

Suspension: Alcan custom front leaf springs with custom fabricated spring hangers, custom shackles & mounts, custom fabricated shock hoops, Fox 12” x 2.0” front shocks with remote reservoirs & ORW billet reservoir clamps. Alcan custom rear springs, custom shackles & mounts, custom fabricated shock hoops, Fox 16” x 2.5” rear shocks with remote reservoirs & Moore billet reservoir clamps

Brakes: GM ¾-ton front rotors w/ GM ½-ton calipers & Solid caliper mounts, GM ¾-ton rear rotors w/ GM ½-ton calipers & Blue Torch Fabrication caliper mounts, Parts Mike t-case parking brake, StopFlex D.O.T. S.S. braided front & rear caliper hoses, T-100 brake booster & 1-1/16” bore master cylinder, Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, & Wilwood 2# residual valve

Wheels / Tires: 17”x 8.5” Trail Ready HD17 aluminum beadlock rims with 3.50” back spacing & 40”x14.50”x17” BFG KM2’s

Recovery: Warn 9.5xp with wireless remote control, 3/8”x85’ Master-Pull Superline synthetic rope, front & rear D-shackle attachment points, Master-Pull aluminum fairlead, ARB Ultra 9000 snatch block

Protection & Safety: In-cab roll cage, MasterCraft roll cage grab handles, bed cage & exo, custom fabricated front & rear bumpers, custom skid plates, & cage-mounted fire extinguisher

Body & Frame Mods: Dovetailed tube bed w/ bobbed factory outer bed fenders (shortened 14-1/2" & narrowed approximately 16” overall), custom fabricated floorboard to accommodate Atlas t-case 0° clocking, Trail Works front tube doors with modified factory hinges & quick removal pins, boatsided rocker panels w/ integral rock sliders & UHMW polyethylene skid plates backed with 1/8” dimple die steel plate. Custom fabricated t-case mount, notched front frame rails for steering linkage clearance, shortened rear frame rails, custom cross members

Misc: Floor pan sprayed w/ LineX XTRA, ARB air compressor, Power Tank 10# CO2 system plumbed to serve as back-up for the ARB compressor, extended breather vents with N.E.X.T. billet breathers, custom PVC windshield wiper reservoir, Hi-lift Xtreme jack with Wabfab slider adapter & custom base plate, bed-mounted tool box, dual Optima blue-top batteries with Camburg & Trail Works battery mounts, National Luna dual battery isolator/controller, custom stereo, Cobra 75 WX CB w/ 6’ Wilson antenna, Abbott Enterprises ERA speedometer calibration unit, Auto Meter transmission temperature gauge, Lightforce 170 Striker HID lights, LiteSpot under carriage spotter lights, bed-mounted water can, Garmin Nuvi 265WT GPS, Allview cage-mounted rearview mirror, Suzuki Samurai side mirrors, Informer BL outdoor temperature gauge, Scangauge II, Engel MT35 refrigerator-freezer w/ Wagongear lid hinge flip kit, Slide Lock, Posi-Fit plug, Engel wireless thermometer, & Ready Welder II portable mig welder

Last edited:

xechcorx

Jonathan correct?

I've been following your build since your truck was first in 4WDToyota? a year or two ago? I keep randomly running across your truck on BB's that I frequent. Hows everything been holding up? Last I saw you just got done with the cage/new axles/atlas......

What bedliner system did you use on the truck or did you get it done professionally?

Links still in the plans?

01tundra

Explorer
Jonathan correct?

I've been following your build since your truck was first in 4WDToyota? a year or two ago? I keep randomly running across your truck on BB's that I frequent. Hows everything been holding up? Last I saw you just got done with the cage/new axles/atlas......

What bedliner system did you use on the truck or did you get it done professionally?

Links still in the plans?

Yeah that's me. I had LineX XTREME sprayed on the floor pan.

Nope, no links planned. I opted to keep my old trusty (and paid for) Alcan leafs. Now that I've got the on & off road capabilities dialed in it's time to start making it more adventure friendly. I enjoy reading and learning on this site more than any other now a days........it's kind of like starting all over again :)!

xechcorx

Nice, I've had less than successful experiences with the harry homeowner roll on stuff. It does not bond as well as I'd like and isn't nearly as thick as the real deal.

I hear you on the wealth of information on this site. I spent a long time on 4BTSWAPS and I'm finding less and less stuff to read up on there. There is still alot to keep me awake far too late at night on here.

01tundra

Explorer
I finally got my Engel installed, all I have left to do is figure out a latch system to hold the lid up while opened. Last night as I was walking in from the garage I noticed my fiance's vacuum cleaner had a latch deal that held the power cord.......so I figured if it was in the garage it was fair game, just have to figure out a housing for it :)!

tray.jpg

tray2.jpg

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

fridge3.jpg

latch.jpg

latch2.jpg

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
Got the hinge flip kit installed last night, makes the fridge really easy to get into from the front seats. All that's left is my wireless thermometer that should be showing up this week.........

flipkit.jpg

RoundOut

Explorer
Jonathon, you show off. LOL. That bracket you made to mount on your roll cage is too freakin' cool! Dimple dies and all. Awesome fab.

:Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1::Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78