Explorer
img_0647-jpeg.828406

Attachments

• IMG_0647.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 267

MisterNoisy

Finally did my first 'big' modification/upgrade for camping/overlanding:

IMG_20240409_185213018~3.jpg

Beyond the SuperTop, I added a hitch receiver recovery point and shackle (more as jewelry than anything else, but it's there if I need it) and have modest recovery gear (kinetic rope, strap and a pair of soft shackles) stuffed in the tailgate storage along with a jumper box under the back seat and traction boards strapped to the bulkhead of the bed. For air, I'll just be using my Milwaukee M18 inflator for now.

Most of my other stuff is packed into two of those Plano wheeled storage trunks and a waterproof box for sensitive stuff like the Delta 2 and the like.

sdwhip

Observer
happy to see another bronco on here!
I've followed your thread and the other couple on here since the start. The Bronco has been on my list of wants since they came out. I was really just planning on a Big Bend or Black Diamond with the only real options being hardtop and sasquatch package. Sure, I could get by without it but I know if I wouldn't have gotten it I would have always regretted it and it would have been years before I did anything about it, such as suspension and tires, but then I still wouldn't have the gearing and other things that you get with the package. The dealer by our house had one non-squatch Black Diamond and the rest were Wildtrak, Badlands, and Raptor. The wife liked the interior of the Wildtrak and we Cactus Gray was one of two color we really liked. It would have been nice to have the stay bar disconnects of the Badlands but this Wildtrak met our wants and was actually less than the loaded up Badlands they had on the lot. Other than that the Wildtrak is a great ride with the HOSS 3.0 suspension. I figure I can add sway bar disconnects or the RockJock sway bar kit and still be under the price of the Badlands we had seen.

I may start a thread but there won't be a whole lot to add, or so I think. I think I'll use Fordpass points for the factory hitch and wiring kit to get the 7-way and tow module. It seems like the best way to take advantage of the towing system and it's more complete than the 21-23 year models. I sold a couple things from my garage that had been lying around and bought a factory roof rack off Marketplace that had been taken off a new Bronco as soon as it got driven home. I'll add cargo area and seat back protection, some rock/step rails, and some other things here and there but other than that just use it.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I've followed your thread and the other couple on here since the start. The Bronco has been on my list of wants since they came out. I was really just planning on a Big Bend or Black Diamond with the only real options being hardtop and sasquatch package. Sure, I could get by without it but I know if I wouldn't have gotten it I would have always regretted it and it would have been years before I did anything about it, such as suspension and tires, but then I still wouldn't have the gearing and other things that you get with the package. The dealer by our house had one non-squatch Black Diamond and the rest were Wildtrak, Badlands, and Raptor. The wife liked the interior of the Wildtrak and we Cactus Gray was one of two color we really liked. It would have been nice to have the stay bar disconnects of the Badlands but this Wildtrak met our wants and was actually less than the loaded up Badlands they had on the lot. Other than that the Wildtrak is a great ride with the HOSS 3.0 suspension. I figure I can add sway bar disconnects or the RockJock sway bar kit and still be under the price of the Badlands we had seen.

I may start a thread but there won't be a whole lot to add, or so I think. I think I'll use Fordpass points for the factory hitch and wiring kit to get the 7-way and tow module. It seems like the best way to take advantage of the towing system and it's more complete than the 21-23 year models. I sold a couple things from my garage that had been lying around and bought a factory roof rack off Marketplace that had been taken off a new Bronco as soon as it got driven home. I'll add cargo area and seat back protection, some rock/step rails, and some other things here and there but other than that just use it.

Glad you have you! you should definitely start a thread even if its just for pics of your adventures

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Finally did my first 'big' modification/upgrade for camping/overlanding:

View attachment 828582

Beyond the SuperTop, I added a hitch receiver recovery point and shackle (more as jewelry than anything else, but it's there if I need it) and have modest recovery gear (kinetic rope, strap and a pair of soft shackles) stuffed in the tailgate storage along with a jumper box under the back seat and traction boards strapped to the bulkhead of the bed. For air, I'll just be using my Milwaukee M18 inflator for now.

Most of my other stuff is packed into two of those Plano wheeled storage trunks and a waterproof box for sensitive stuff like the Delta 2 and the like.
That will be a great set up! I look forward to seeing where you take it.

MisterNoisy

That will be a great set up! I look forward to seeing where you take it.
Headed to Hurricane Lake on Thursday for what was supposed to be a four-day camping/fishing trip to go through my stuff and see what needed to be replaced or cut from the packing list, but it got a bit crowded today so I bailed. I did enjoy the quiet time fishing, hiking and reading though.

IMG_20240411_153711045_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240411_181438388_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240412_190904607_HDR.jpg

For a $70 tent, I wasn't mad at that little Coleman so it's staying until I find a reason not to use it - it stood up to 30+ mph gusts without anything breaking or folding. Also, there's a fair bit of stuff I know I can leave behind for future outings.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I struggle as well when places are crowded. When its “my time” that’s not where I want to be. You should start a tread, mine are as much a record/resource for myself as others seem to find them.

I thought there would be a (small) market, if someone made a back for these topers. * edit, that was small and tight. Just from thetailgate to the top of the soft canopy* That looped around and open tailgate and then attached to the top and sides. Then your feet would be covered if you decided to sleep in the back. Since the beds are so short.

Coleman can hold their own in the weekend market for sure, and the price point is good. I think thats why they have been around so long. Google says they were founded in 1900.

Last edited:

YetiX

An older picture of my Colorado, but since we're discussing tents along with trucks, I recently got a Gazelle T3. Why the T3 instead of T4? Packed up, the T3 is 5' long, the T4 is close to 6'. I can fit the T3 straight along the bed rail in my bed which makes it much more convenient. When we took my buddy's T4 to Utah we had to strap it to the roof rack.
DPLweA.jpg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
I struggle as well when places are crowded. When its “my time” that’s not where I want to be. You should start a tread, mine are as much a record/resource for myself as others seem to find them.

I thought there would be a (small) market, if someone made a back for these topers. That looped around and open tailgate and then attached to the top and sides. Then your feet would be covered if you decided to sleep in the back. Since the beds are so short.

Coleman can hold their own in the weekend market for sure, and the price point is good. I think thats why they have been around so long. Google says they were founded in 1900.
Kelty makes an option you might consider called a Backroads Shelter. It's very versatile, can go on pickup tailgate or van side door. Easy deploy and pack up. Provides privacy and weather protection. I use them on my squaredrop trailer.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Kelty makes an option you might consider called a Backroads Shelter. It's very versatile, can go on pickup tailgate or van side door. Easy deploy and pack up. Provides privacy and weather protection. I use them on my squaredrop trailer.
Yeah I have seen those. At that point A 10x10 with sides also works quite well. I meant something that was just the tailgate to the top of the canopy. Would just be a fabric/waxed canvas. Good suggestion though.

MisterNoisy

Yeah I have seen those. At that point A 10x10 with sides also works quite well. I meant something that was just the tailgate to the top of the canopy. Would just be a fabric/waxed canvas. Good suggestion though.
I actually have a Romanian milsurp half-shelter that I might try to rig up that way next time. It's really just a heavy canvas sheet with grommets around the perimeter and a covered hole in the middle so you can also use it as a poncho, but it might be just the thing for impromptu bed sleeping.

YetiX

Have you seen the Nomad Camper? I have one for my truck when I think the weather will be too wet or adverse for using the Gazelle. LINK

xGi1LI.jpg

NKFVyY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998