Pics of my new bumpers/OBA set up

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
where do you get that latch? ive seen several of them on other swingouts but have yet to actually find where i can get them.

saburai

Explorer
Heading back up state for a bit. Looks like we will be in the Bahamas for the winter.

As to the latch, call or email AJ. I'm sure he would help you out.

AJsArmor

Rich-good to see the final product installed on an XJ! Looks good, send me some more pics of different angles when you get a chance.

Yeah Mike, i followed the design thread at NAXJA as well. Too bad the price ended up being twice projected retail... but those things happen. I also want a double shear design, but i'm not quite sold.. a bit leary of the two through bolts and spacers behind the machined "pivot" bolt.

Been waiting for someone to report their experience.

I was kinda bummed about the end cost on it but I really wanted a product I could trust in 100%. The shoulder bolt alone is 25% of the cost but it's also a critical component. A standard bolt doesn't have the precision fit or near the strength.

In all honesty, I was leary about those two support bolts myself when designing it. The first prototype I built we wanted to see how much stress was on those. So initially we used 1/4" bolts figuring they would shear off with a 10 foot long swingarm and nearly 400 lbs bouncing up and down on the end of it. They did. Upsized to a 3/8" and they worked fine so for the final I went with 1/2-20 x 1" long bolts. The round tube they thread into is 1" x 5/16" wall DOM. We incorporate those braces into the taillight filler panels of our bumpers.
Img_2309.jpg
[/IMG]

So far I've heard a lot of positive feedback about it. I know compared to the spindle/bearing setups you see on the market, there is no comparison. I hope that doesn't come off arrogant but I've used those spindles for years and they flex, this setup doesn't. Not to mention the complete random failures of those spindles....that's a sickening feeling to see.

Sorry to hijack your thread Rich!

AJsArmor

where do you get that latch? ive seen several of them on other swingouts but have yet to actually find where i can get them.

You can get them from McMaster Carr, pn#5135A25, they're also available in stainless. I could sell you one since I buy in quantities but with shipping it'd be cheaper to get it from them.

ExpoMike

Rich-good to see the final product installed on an XJ! Looks good, send me some more pics of different angles when you get a chance.

I was kinda bummed about the end cost on it but I really wanted a product I could trust in 100%. The shoulder bolt alone is 25% of the cost but it's also a critical component. A standard bolt doesn't have the precision fit or near the strength.

In all honesty, I was leary about those two support bolts myself when designing it. The first prototype I built we wanted to see how much stress was on those. So initially we used 1/4" bolts figuring they would shear off with a 10 foot long swingarm and nearly 400 lbs bouncing up and down on the end of it. They did. Upsized to a 3/8" and they worked fine so for the final I went with 1/2-20 x 1" long bolts. The round tube they thread into is 1" x 5/16" wall DOM. We incorporate those braces into the taillight filler panels of our bumpers.
Img_2309.jpg
[/IMG]

So far I've heard a lot of positive feedback about it. I know compared to the spindle/bearing setups you see on the market, there is no comparison. I hope that doesn't come off arrogant but I've used those spindles for years and they flex, this setup doesn't. Not to mention the complete random failures of those spindles....that's a sickening feeling to see.

Nice to see ya post up and relay some good info. I know I have been VERY happy with my Super Rails. :D

I am happy you put safety and reliability before cost. Cost is why everyone else seems to use spindles, which were never designed for this type of application and when a failure happens, it can be catastrophic if it happened in front of someone on the freeway.

Sorry I am not in the market for a swing away setup due to my Kamparoo trailer. I'm lucky I can still open the hatch without disconnecting. Still props to you for a great designed product. :victory:

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
You can get them from McMaster Carr, pn#5135A25, they're also available in stainless. I could sell you one since I buy in quantities but with shipping it'd be cheaper to get it from them.

Hey thanks, I've been buying my latches from them but just havnt found that one on there but with the part number ill be able to order them. Thanks again.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader

Img_2309.jpg
[/IMG]

Welcome AJ.

Thanks for the feedback, like i said.. those things happen and hope i didnt come off as complaining. Your hinge is still top on the list for my project, just tough to justify spending for toys while i'm laid off. Priorities ya know..

You'll hear from me soon.

Rich, congrats on the gear.. it's looking like it was exactly what you wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater