Pics of your VAN! Post up!

Petrolburner

Explorer
I just bought a new van this past weekend to replace Gertrude my Motovan. I wanted more living space while keeping 2 dirtbikes in the back. I also wanted to have an indoor bathroom with shower. It's a 97 E450 with 7.3l PSD, 204k miles, original owners and good maintenance history. It has 6 matching all terrain tires so I can use it as is before converting to 4WD and SRW.

35468177943_82cc2a515b_b.jpg
[/url]Untitled by Trevor Stellrecht, on Flickr[/IMG]

35439753164_4f5c28de2a_b.jpg

36105681612_d1a0f75520_b.jpg

Untitled by Trevor Stellrecht, on Flickr

Last edited:

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I just bought a new van this past weekend to replace Gertrude my Motovan. I wanted more living space while keeping 2 dirtbikes in the back. I also wanted to have an indoor bathroom with shower. It's a 97 E450 with 7.3l PSD, 204k miles, original owners and good maintenance history. It has 6 matching all terrain tires so I can use it as is before converting to 4WD and SRW

Surprised you didn't go with an F-series chassis, seems like you had mentioned getting one in the past.
What made you decide to go with the e series?
Regardless, looking forward to seeing what you do with it, looks like a great start.

B

Petrolburner

Explorer
Surprised you didn't go with an F-series chassis, seems like you had mentioned getting one in the past.
What made you decide to go with the e series?
Regardless, looking forward to seeing what you do with it, looks like a great start.

B

I had wanted to go with an F-series. Several obstacles though. The F350 Uhaul box trucks didn't have any additional length over my E350. They also had either the 460 gas pig or the V10 gas pig. The truck bodies didn't share a wall with the box either, so the pass through is slightly more complicated. Additionally, the fiberglass reinforced plywood boxes are just so heavy. This Grumman Olson aluminum skinned body is much lighter. The Uhaul trucks almost always had a roll up rear door unless it was a 1978 from what I'd seen. I got this van for $4k and it has a lighter weight body of the appropriate dimensions, the preferred diesel motor, double doors on the back and cutting the pass through will be easy. I just couldn't resist any longer. Plus, #BoxVanLife

Jsweezy

Explorer
PetrolBurner - ive thought the 10' boxtrucks from uhaul would be perfect for a camper build.

Especially the v8 5.4 with the 5r110w

Petrolburner

Explorer
PetrolBurner - ive thought the 10' boxtrucks from uhaul would be perfect for a camper build.

Especially the v8 5.4 with the 5r110w

They would be, unless you had a desire to live on the road with two full sized dirtbikes in there with you. And since this is a photo thread, here's my Motovan Gertrude with just one big XR650R inside after I build my full width bed loft.

Here's that same big girl in the new van.

It's in there sideways because there were no floor tie downs. Sideways and on the kickstand it was rock solid for the drive home.

Here's a shot showing how much extra length I'm getting.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I had wanted to go with an F-series. Several obstacles though. The F350 Uhaul box trucks didn't have any additional length over my E350. They also had either the 460 gas pig or the V10 gas pig. The truck bodies didn't share a wall with the box either, so the pass through is slightly more complicated. Additionally, the fiberglass reinforced plywood boxes are just so heavy. This Grumman Olson aluminum skinned body is much lighter. The Uhaul trucks almost always had a roll up rear door unless it was a 1978 from what I'd seen. I got this van for $4k and it has a lighter weight body of the appropriate dimensions, the preferred diesel motor, double doors on the back and cutting the pass through will be easy. I just couldn't resist any longer. Plus, #BoxVanLife

Thanks for sharing what you learned. I have been browsing for a cutaway chassis, trying to figure out the best way to get one (box van, ambo, etc.). Does the cab have power (windows and locks)? Is/was it a concern?

Petrolburner

Explorer
The only option is ice cold AC. In the Motovan I had considered power windows and locks as well as cruise control a requirement. This time around, I decided I'd make it work without it. It's a very rare box van to have those options. Since I only have 2 doors this time, it's not that many to lock and unlock. I'll look to the aftermarket for cruise control.

CaulkinsCo.

On the 7.3 for cruise control you just need to change the steering wheel and cross 2 wires by your brake booster. Should also be fully weird for power windows and locks, Just find junk yard power doors and bolt in the parts. Did my 99 that way with no problems, 97 should be the exact same.

cjken

Explorer
Thanks for sharing what you learned. I have been browsing for a cutaway chassis, trying to figure out the best way to get one (box van, ambo, etc.). Does the cab have power (windows and locks)? Is/was it a concern?

Both my ambulances have power everything.
I got one as just the cab and chassis.
Most of the other cab and chassis that I have seen were pretty beat up. I got lucky with mine.

Petrolburner

Explorer
My new house in Crooked River Ranch was in the path of totality, with parking for plenty. I invited many people and was able to get a good shot of all the vans now in my family. On the far right we have my Motovan 1.0 which my Mom and Stepfather are now camping out of, 2nd from the right is my brother's Gallivanter, 2nd from the left is Gertrude my Motovan 2.0, and on the far left we have Grumman the Backcountry BoxVan, my Motovan 3.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle