Pics of your VAN! Post up!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
wife and I live in Oak harbor hope to get it painted soon so watch for lifted 2wd with big " Hotwheels" rims I Will be making runs out to Anacortes for school.

I was going to guess Homestead's Crosby Commons in Oak Harbor.

Cruiz

IMG_20100823_185836.jpg

Here's mine..Yes I took off the running boards.

labbe66

Observer
Another Astro Project

All right so I finally found my van:

Van1.jpg

It is exactly what i was looking for a 99 AWD with the tow package and in need of transmission work. I know the 4L60E transmission can be dodgy from the factory so I wanted to get a van that I could have a transmission built that I knew would be reliable. I got this van for ONLY $800! Everything functions on it but when the tranny gets hot it shifts hard. The previous owner also said that the tranny slips in first when it is hot but I haven't felt that yet at all. So I have owned it for 3 weeks now and I am driving it on a daily basis as well as taking it on three road trips each over 200 miles. So far I have to say that I think i will leave the transmission until it becomes a bigger issue or I want to venture further afield.

So I will be diving into the mods as soon as I sell my truck. First up is a lift and tires since I live down in a hallow at the end of an unplowed road. Then I will likely leave it well enough alone for the winter since I will be using it to commute. I plan on also spending the winter looking at and designing a pop top solution. The plan is a camping van for a family of 4 so a pop top is necessary. Once I have a plan over the winter months I will tear into the van in the early spring and try to have the top done by the summer months. I am lucky in that I work in an engineering facility with a full fab shop for me to play in at lunch and after hours. It should be a good ride and i will of course start a thread once things get juicy...

ihatemybike

Explorer
Van1.jpg
Everything functions on it but when the tranny gets hot it shifts hard. The previous owner also said that the tranny slips in first when it is hot but I haven't felt that yet at all.

That looks almost exactly like my van Green. :D

A very popular mod for these vans is to install a large plate style axillary trans cooler and a trans temp gauge. I've found several of these trans coolers in scrap yards, usually installed in heavy duty utility trucks and get them for $5-10 each.

I've found that Lucas Transmission Fix helps dieing transmission last a bit longer. When I bought Grumpy it had trouble with moderate trail inclines. It would literally lose all the power through the trans. Trying to get up an incline only to end up with your foot on the floor with zero wheel spin is a little embarrassing. One bottle of Lucas and the van handled any uphill that it's street tires could keep traction on.

The front turn signals and headlight trim pieces look a little foggy. Hot ticket here is a wonderful product called Brasso metal polish. I did Grumpy's a couple weeks back. Washed them, polished twice using an old hand towel, washed again. Now they are almost new looking.

I'm such an Astro geek.

D

Deleted member 9101

A very popular mod for these vans is to install a large plate style axillary trans cooler and a trans temp gauge. I've found several of these trans coolers in scrap yards, usually installed in heavy duty utility trucks and get them for $5-10 each.

Although I am a huge fan of a bigger tranny cooler (I am doing the biggest one I can fit with its own fan) they are cheap enough that I would get a new one. Summit racing and Jegs have them for under 50.00 brand new and they are for a 30,000 pound vehicle.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Although I am a huge fan of a bigger tranny cooler (I am doing the biggest one I can fit with its own fan) they are cheap enough that I would get a new one. Summit racing and Jegs have them for under 50.00 brand new and they are for a 30,000 pound vehicle.
True, they are fairly cheap new, but I'm a self proclaimed cheapo and I like the reduce, reuse, recycle philosophy. I've flushed them out really good and mounted them on my past four drivers without any problems.

labbe66

Observer
The front turn signals and headlight trim pieces look a little foggy. Hot ticket here is a wonderful product called Brasso metal polish. I did Grumpy's a couple weeks back. Washed them, polished twice using an old hand towel, washed again. Now they are almost new looking.

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if those polishing kits you can buy work but I think I have some of the Brasso at home.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
True! He was taking some pics downtown, and I was taking advantage of the slick conditions & lack of traffic! Asked if he could take a pic of the van, so I said sure! I had no idea it would turn out so awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179