Plano 1919 Waterproof Storage Trunk

rayra

Expedition Leader
Certainly seems a good value and a sturdier option than the Sterlite footlocker I've got in my Suburban right now. IIRC that cost about $18. I'd pay the 50% premium for the sealt, reinforced webbing in the lit and the far more robust latches.

suburbancargo_zpsn43mwy2w.jpg

shu2kill

Are those of you who have these still liking them?
A couple of friends and I have been wishing we grabbed them when Walmart had them.

The only place I can still find them is direct from Plano. Minimum order of $300 + 20% for shipping, which would be 9 units. If shipping stayed at 20% that would work out to $474 or $52.67 each. Almost twice the Walmart price, not sure if they are worth it.

Thanks,
Jim

Edit, could have sworn I've posted here before. Know I spend plenty of time reading here.

Academy has them for $33....

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-storage-locker?repChildCatid=1584797

trentor

Nomad
I bought two of the smaller Plano cases without the o-ring, bought some window seal at Home Depot, and am quite pleased with the outcome. Last weekend I had both boxes on the roof rack for 2 days on back roads. No rain, but there was epic levels of dust following 3-4 other trucks for over 150 miles.

No dust inside the cases.

1d40a68b57076e141133d0f24fe3fe9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perkj

Explorer
I bought two of the smaller Plano cases without the o-ring, bought some window seal at Home Depot, and am quite pleased with the outcome. Last weekend I had both boxes on the roof rack for 2 days on back roads. No rain, but there was epic levels of dust following 3-4 other trucks for over 150 miles.

No dust inside the cases.

1d40a68b57076e141133d0f24fe3fe9a.jpg

what is the size of that seal or the Home Depot item number?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Christ you people could screw up a free lunch. Put your stuff in some plastic garbage bags inside the totes and you don't have to worry about the seal. You keep looking for Pelican performance at 1/10th the price. It doesn't exist.

SigSense

Adventurer
Christ you people could screw up a free lunch. Put your stuff in some plastic garbage bags inside the totes and you don't have to worry about the seal. You keep looking for Pelican performance at 1/10th the price. It doesn't exist.

This.

trentor

Nomad
You two come in here just to whine within a healthy discussion about which you have nothing worthwhile to add?

I have no need for a Pelican case. Absolute waste of money for me to have that level of protection. Trash bags holding all your gear just make it more annoying to access and then still have to worry about holes/leaks. For $18 each, I essentially made my own waterproof cases that I can carry on the roof rack since I'm tight on space inside.

Feel free to troll elsewhere.

soonenough

Explorer

You two come in here just to whine within a healthy discussion about which you have nothing worthwhile to add?

I have no need for a Pelican case. Absolute waste of money for me to have that level of protection. Trash bags holding all your gear just make it more annoying to access and then still have to worry about holes/leaks. For $18 each, I essentially made my own waterproof cases that I can carry on the roof rack since I'm tight on space inside.

Feel free to troll elsewhere.
No, this.

'rayra' - you have a valid point that putting stuff in a trash bag inside an unsealed enclosure would probably work, but 1) then you'd have a enclosure with a pool of water in the bottom and a wet trash bag, which sucks...2) it's not that hard to accidentally poke a hole in a trash bag and not realize it, then you have wet gear, which also sucks... and 3) if people wanna try and create their own weatherproof $30 storage tote instead of spending $150-200+ on a comparable Pelican case, what difference does it make to you? No one said they expected Pelican performance, no one's trying to take these things deep sea diving, no one's trying to drive a 1-ton truck over them... they're just trying to keep water and dust off their gear for cheap.

trentor - I've always wanted to try that exact same approach of using some cheap weatherstripping with Action Packers. I've heard of people doing it but never tried it myself. Seems like it would be simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger