Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah, they have been around for awhile and other companies make then also. I believe that, or something like it, is what's under the rear of my module, because a lot of the wiring is going into it. I just can't get to it yet to really examine it very well.

zuke

Adventurer
I have a similar box under the back of my module going to my trailer harness, but it does the opposite, It combines D.O.A.s 3 wire turn signals and brake lights to work for the typical 2 wire trailer... a much simpler thing to do than going from 2 wire to 3 wire (Basically It's just a diode pack in the little box, that does what a lot of the wiring diagrams earlier in this thread do)

zuke

Adventurer
Is that so you can two a trailer with D.O.A.?

Yeah, I tow my crawlers on an equipment trailer behind D.O.A. and when I added a standard 7 Pin connector to it, I had to add the converter. Much easier and cheaper to go to 2 wire from 3 wire than the other way around.

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-4884...&qid=1489814528&sr=8-1&keywords=hopkins+48845

file.php

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Deadly crash kills 2 Paramedic EMTs in Jupiter, FL

wptv-deadly-indiantown-crash_1496305421595_60511355_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

JUPITER, Fla. - Jupiter police said two paramedic EMTs were killed in a rollover crash involving a car early Thursday morning at Indiantown Road near Military Trail in Jupiter.

The EMTs were employed by American Medical Response and identified as caregivers, Lahiri Garcia, 51, and critical care paramedic and supervisor, Paul Besaw, 36.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue said the wreck occurred at 3 a.m. at Philadelphia Drive in front of Colonial Plaza.

Police said a third patient, the driver of the car, was transported to the hospital for injuries that were not life threatening.

Witness Ramon Chapa said the crash occurred when a car made a U-turn, hitting the ambulance that was traveling west.

See the rest: http://www.wptv.com/news/region-n-p...-westbound-in-jupiter?utm_content=buffereb7db

The EMTs were employed by American Medical Response and identified as caregivers, Lahiri Garcia, 51, and critical care paramedic and supervisor, Paul Besaw, 36.

May they Rest in Peace!

Even as well built as modern Ambulances are today, they still won't save you from every situation.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, and the ironic thing about this accident is, they were not responding to an emergency or transporting a patient, they were just returning from the last call they ran.

Apparently, they were both riding in the cab when it was hit from the left side in the area of the door and fender well.

DBPGXYkUwAAsOLq.jpg

They both had to be extricated using the Jaws-of-Life.

Export

Yes. R.I.P.

But...the crash impact damages shows the ambulance struck the car's right side. Damage to the ambulance is nearly equal across its front. The witness said a car struck the ambulance, but shows no front end damage. Was another car involved knocking the ambulance into the rag-top? But most likely that the car u-turned into the ambulance's path. The damage to the A-pillars and windshield removal of the ambulance are likely the from the extracation, as mentioned, due to resting on its side making patient removal through doors impractical.

I could only guess that a pass-through wasn't practical or present to use.

Still...a rag-top vs ambulance??? and the rag-top driver is the survivor. Crazy.

DzlToy

Explorer
Sorry to hear the bad news, but "big and heavy" is rarely safe, principally. Look at modern crash test (NHTSA and Euro NCAP). Cars that you think would do well in a crash, do not and vice versa. One of the safest cars on the road is actually a Mercedes SMART car. Due to the short overhangs front and rear, there is no space to build a crumple zone. A UK television show called FIFTH Gear, crashed a SMART into a concrete barrier at over 40 MPH and could still open the doors easily. People look at the car and say, "oh it's small, that thing is a death trap." Race cars are small and light and they fair quite well in a crash (see below)

Mercedes builds what amounts to an internal roll cage, into the car, during manufacturing. It is not necessarily done with tubing, as you would add one into a race car or Jeep, but it is there. Have you ever seen a 57 Chevy crashed or an old Thunderbird? Big heavy car with a long front end, right? Force equals Mass times Acceleration (or Deceleration). A big heavy "anything" has more mass, more momentum and is thus harder to stop, needs more crumple zones to dissipate the energy of a crash, etc.

Look at modern race cars like WRC or Formula 1. They are basically jungle gyms (WRC) with Aramid or carbon body panels that tear apart and fly off, even in a minor crash. This dissipates a huge amount of energy. A modern F1 car can take MASSIVE impacts at 100 - 150 MPH, without so much as a scrape or scratch to the driver. Try that in your Mustang or Dodge pickup truck and you will be dead. The F1 cars fly apart, thereby dissipating energy as it comes apart in the crash, saving the driver and the chassis of the car. Wings, suspension and wheels can be replaced.

Hopefully, this technology will work it's way into modern cars, along with composites, like carbon reinforced plastic body panels instead of steel ones, thereby making all automobiles safer in a crash.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yes. R.I.P.

But...the crash impact damages shows the ambulance struck the car's right side. Damage to the ambulance is nearly equal across its front. The witness said a car struck the ambulance, but shows no front end damage. Was another car involved knocking the ambulance into the rag-top? But most likely that the car u-turned into the ambulance's path. The damage to the A-pillars and windshield removal of the ambulance are likely the from the extracation, as mentioned, due to resting on its side making patient removal through doors impractical.

I could only guess that a pass-through wasn't practical or present to use.

Still...a rag-top vs ambulance??? and the rag-top driver is the survivor. Crazy.

I agree, a lot of what I read, the pictures I saw, and what the News Reporters stated, doesn't add up. The report says the car hit the ambulance, but the damage indicates otherwise. The only thing I can think of is, they collided and then rolled against each other before the ambulance flipped up on it's side, which was probably due to the rear wheels catching the curb.

As far as the ambulance crew sustaining fatal injuries and the automobile driver walking away, look how much vehicle, including the entire engine, is in front of the automobile driver as compared to what is actually in front of the ambulance crew, which is almost nothing but sheet metal. That is one reason why I never liked driving the Type III Units vs. the Type I Units. The other reason is, I'm 6'1" and pretty big, so there never was enough room to be comfortable, much less provide a safe zone of space around me. I felt like a fighter pilot crammed into a jet aircraft.

Removing the windshield, cutting the 'A' post, and raising the roof if necessary is pretty much SOP for removing occupants from a vehicle on it's side. Even if it had a walk through door, most of those are very narrow and the back of that ambulance would have been like an obstacle course after flipping over. Normally, they would have been bought out on back boards also, but we don't know if they were removing live patients or deceased victims at that time. A witness did state he heard someone screaming in the ambulance right after it happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior