portable gas fire pit

mav204

Observer
there are alot of option in the propane/gas fire pits. What ones are you using and does it have a good travel case or Abel to put in the Front Runner ammo box for storage so it doesn't not get damaged.

Blowby

It's funny you mentioned ammo box ,as I just saw this on Sharktank on Friday night.

mav204

Observer
It's funny you mentioned ammo box ,as I just saw this on Sharktank on Friday night.
Thanks, That is just what I was looking for!

Don’t forget, if used in California, you’re required to get their free campfire permit.

Watch a video, take a test, print your permit.

LavaBox

Thanks everyone! Please code: EXPED for a discount! Shark Tank was a ton of fun. I really wanted to go on there so I could compete with the big guys like Ignik and Campchef. I think ours is the best. And we have the biggest fire. :)

bstock1

I'd highly recommend lavabox. I got one a couple years ago as a wedding gift after seeing them at overland Expo a couple years ago. We take it everywhere, it's small and compact and with a 11lb propane tank it takes up very little room in the jeep! Great guys and they are a small Colorado based business!

Kingsize24

We have been using this for the last year with no issues. Even have a grating for the top to cook on when we want. Also has a carry bag that works well to keep everything together.

sn_85

Observer
I have the Ignik Firecan. There are a lot of other ammo can fire pits and variations of it. I like the Ignik for a few reasons. 1) I got it for $99 at REI when they had a 50% off sale. 2) the quick disconnect propane hose connection 3) cutouts on the side of the can which help warm your feet 4) integrated feet on the unit itself.

Cons 1) you do not get fire dispersing stones or rocks. So out of the box, the fire just looks like one out of a grill. It's a bit sterile and doesn't flame up enough. You'll have to buy fire diffusing rocks to give it a more natural look and create a larger fire 2) the output is weaker and less than the competition. This isn't as bad as it sounds though. Other fire cans can output a lot of BTU and create a large flame but IMO that's not a realistic use case. You'd run out of propane in like 30 minutes. On full, the Ignik still provides enough warmth and last a while.

Are there "better" ones out there? Sure. The Lavabox, among others, are good units. But again, for the price I paid I don't think the other ones are worth 2-2.5x the price. At MSRP though I probably wouldn't get the Ignik.

Hnoroian

Observer
I had all the extra parts form other things around the house so mine was free minus a new regulator. But this one was well documented.

Personally don’t have a LavaBox but cool to see.

Last edited:

MiamiC70

LavaBox’s 200,000 btu is pretty ridiculous unless you plan on Overlanding with a Propane truck. No quick disconnect is disappointing as LavaBox claims it can cause leaks however, that’s never been an issue I e experienced with multiple propane disconnects. Finally, the stow away legs on the Ignik are nice.

Pickup an Ignik on sale and it’s darn near cost of making one yourself.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We have been using this for the last year with no issues. Even have a grating for the top to cook on when we want. Also has a carry bag that works well to keep everything together.

We just bought that exact same make / model on Amazon last week for our last trip due to camp fire bans.

Figured 29,000 positive reviews should mean odds are good it's decent. And it was. Worked very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior