portable gas fire pit

Kingsize24

We just bought that exact same make / model on Amazon last week for our last trip due to camp fire bans.

Figured 29,000 positive reviews should mean odds are good it's decent. And it was. Worked very well.

Exactly!

And it really does work great, packs up well, etc. We actually have started to prefer it over the smoke and have sort of used it exclusively.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Exactly!

And it really does work great, packs up well, etc. We actually have started to prefer it over the smoke and have sort of used it exclusively.
Only downside is when your kids don't watch their marshmallows and they fall into the lava rock....

Old school firepit was better for that...

And by kids I mean our 16 and 23 year old...

kid-unamused.gif

mav204

Observer
how to travel with this? I've seen these and they are great, but in the back of a Jeep or Gladiator, how do you keep etching organized?

Montucky

Director of Post Ride Beverages
LavaBox’s 200,000 btu is pretty ridiculous unless you plan on Overlanding with a Propane truck. No quick disconnect is disappointing as LavaBox claims it can cause leaks however, that’s never been an issue I e experienced with multiple propane disconnects. Finally, the stow away legs on the Ignik are nice.

Pickup an Ignik on sale and it’s darn near cost of making one yourself.

You hit on everything I was going to mention perfectly.

I have had the LavaBox for a couple years and loved it but I just received the Ignik as a gift this spring and honestly I’ve been using the Ignik more due to all your reasons but mainly due to my 10# tank lasting longer. Make sure to get the rocks they sell with it.

MiamiC70

You hit on everything I was going to mention perfectly.

I have had the LavaBox for a couple years and loved it but I just received the Ignik as a gift this spring and honestly I’ve been using the Ignik more due to all your reasons but mainly due to my 10# tank lasting longer. Make sure to get the rocks they sell with it.
The fire rocks or the moon rocks?

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I bought the optional bag. Everything fits in it well. Pack it up like anything else.
how to travel with this? I've seen these and they are great, but in the back of a Jeep or Gladiator, how do you keep etching organized?

I missed the bag option but it came with a carry handle. I just threw it in the back of my truck.
I would suggest the bag though as I'm sure it makes everything easier.

Markal

We recently bought the Outland Living Fire Cube. It's a little smaller than their fire bowl and square which makes it easier to pack. We considered the Lavabox, Ignik, and other similar options, but this won out for us. We just used it on a weeklong trip in New Mexico (no fire bans, but we opted to use this instead of a wood fire). With a 20 lb tank, we were able to use it for a while each evening and morning.

I have owned a "Camp Chef" brand propane camp fire pit for a decade or so. The model I have is an older version of this one I think:

Works pretty good!

Switch

Observer
there are alot of option in the propane/gas fire pits. What ones are you using and does it have a good travel case or Abel to put in the Front Runner ammo box for storage so it doesn't not get damaged.
I did this many years ago.

Stupid simple.

Galvanized trashcan lid. The 1/2" aluminum tubing has 1/16th inch holes drilled every 2 inches to let the propane out and the end is hammered flat. The aluminum tubing is held to the pan by 1/2" Electrical Metallic Tube (EMT) fasteners. The part that extends from the lid is about 12" too long. I just never bothered to shorten it.

dscn8259-1-jpg.454433

I just put right inside rock campfire rings when they have them or make one and tear it down afterwards.

MiamiC70

I have one of these. I like it, but I'd get the Deluxe version that's also made to cook on if I were to do it again.
I actually just picked up the Elite version.

The deluxe adds unnecessary complexity and is too small to “cook” much more than a couple of hot dogs or hamburgers. Then you are going to have a greasy, smelly mess. No thanks.

BTW, never pay full retail for Ignik they are constantly on sale. Picked up the Elite for $185 during Labor Day sales.

Ragman

We recently bought the Outland Living Fire Cube. It's a little smaller than their fire bowl and square which makes it easier to pack. We considered the Lavabox, Ignik, and other similar options, but this won out for us. We just used it on a weeklong trip in New Mexico (no fire bans, but we opted to use this instead of a wood fire). With a 20 lb tank, we were able to use it for a while each evening and morning.

Some of our friends had one of these recently in northern MI and I thought it worked very well so would recommend as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online