Post up your drawer/storage system

My first attempt on a Sleeping platform in our 80 series that will include a 54" pull out storage box a 27 gallon fresh water tank and Logistic Aluminum tie down tracks. Basics are complete just have a couple hours left of finishing work and mounting of the tie rails then the front storage box/platform construction begins.

.75" sanded ply for the base floor and right suport
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8186/8385085289_444751b18c.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8368/8385085013_69c443095b.jpg

54" heavy duty pull out box with plenty of storage space
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8386168896_7eb7d01ee7.jpg

Right side cover held in tight by small Earth magnets
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8495/8386168692_2946066426.jpg

Cut out for easy removal or the Fire Extinguisher with tail either closed or open.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8495/8386168588_6593a70aac.jpg

Cut to shape
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8386168498_4d71e56612.jpg

8418097057_c1a457f3a8.jpg

8418097175_079d8f633a.jpg

UPDATE:
Coated the platform with a rubberized coating his weekend as well as installing the water tank fill neck. The coating turned out a little on the glossy side but hopefully should scuff up and loose that glare.

8442238447_56b1b758a6.jpg

8443361656_769385e679.jpg

Last edited:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Here's my drawer system for my Disco II. I just finished it two days ago. I really like how it turned out. :D

DrawerSystem3Small_zps08e4f43c.jpg

DrawerSystem4Small_zps9fa89444.jpg

I made it without any drawer slides, just a friction fit. They slide pretty easy because of the pieces of plexiglass we glued under each drawer.

DrawerSystem2Small_zps94e83dc9.jpg

The cabinet is made of 19/32 CDX on the top and bottom, and 1x10" pine boards for the sides and center piece. The drawers are 19/32 CDX on the bottom and 1x8" pine boards for the walls.

Drawers8Small_zpsdf472338.jpg

Drawers9Small_zps36605d9d.jpg

To finish it, I coated the insides and faces of the drawers, as well as the face of the cabinet, with truck bed liner. The outside of the drawers got covered in satin black paint, and the cabinet got covered in carpet I found at O'Reilly.

Drawers5Small_zpse9b9f2db.jpg

The whole thing is secured to the factory D-rings by a quick link and a turnbuckle.

MountingPoints11Small_zpsfebc8b40.jpg

It works really well and looks pretty good. It was a little more work than I expected, but it was a great learning experience.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Most recent modifications. Got the portable heater and generator mounting/storage sorted. Also added the cutting board holder.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

mkitchen

Explorer
Finally got started on my storage boxes for my 71 F 250

I have been studying and admiring the work that a lot of you have put into your storage systems. I have been dreaming of a set of boxes that would hold all my gear, tools and food and provide a bed that would fold out when needed. Being 6'7" and needing a bed that would comfortably sleep me, Mo and the three stooges, our three Corgi's, required that the bed run length wise and be at least 7' long. Having a full size truck and a tall shell allowed me a bit more space than most so the work begins:

I am starting with the two side boxes that will run the length of the bed, excluding the space for the spare. The build is being made out of 3/4 maple plywood with less expensive plywood for the base, as it will not show. Since I am not good at drawing designs, I just pictured what I needed in my head and then went about figuring out how to achieve that idea. The first order was to cut out the bases for the boxes and then mount the aluminum angle iron that I would be mounting the top of the boxes to. Not knowing how to build, I tend to go the extra mile and make everything pretty hardy. The boxes will not have an inside wall. It will just have a bottom/base, side, ends and top. I would loose too much space if I built an inside wall for the boxes.

25islk2.jpg

8wfx90.jpg

A close-up of the bracket that is mounted along both sides of the bed. Stainless steel bolts and nylock nuts throughout.

1zey3j9.jpg

Building up the boxes. I used Gorilla glue because I have heard that it works a lot better than Weldwood. Weldwood tends to dry out here in the southwest. I also used 1 X 1 poplar along the corners and screwed and glued all joints. The screws are done from the inside so they will not show from the outside of the boxes.

2195bug.jpg

The top being mounted to the side.

11awt4k.jpg

Here is the boxes in the truck. This is only a trial run to check for fit. They seem to fit well and now, back out and start to do the finish work. I need to sand, put in the latches on the lid covers and then finish with some Varathane. I also need to run wire in the inside of the passenger side box to allow for two accessory plugs at each end of the box and a single USB port with two plugs in it.

2sa11e9.jpg

Back in the shop for more work.

vomk39.jpg

This is the ends of the boxes as you would see them from the back of the truck

334oyoo.jpg

A picture of a corner joint. Not too close a shot though. I don't want all of you to see just how rough my work is. Already the boxes are becoming very solid. By the time they are bolted into the bed, they should be very stout.

91ewas.jpg

I am certainly open to any suggestions for building the box between the two side boxes. I am not sure if it will have drawers or will simply open up from the top for access to the camp gear. I think I would like to have a drawer system but I have never built drawers before and I am not sure if I am up to the challenge. As I said, a drawer system would be really nice.

The box will need be the same height as the side boxes and an extension would be added to make the top run 7' long. I am not sure if I am going to do this as a hinged top or as an extra plate that would just be moved to the end of the box as needed for a bed. Mats, at this point, will consist of Therma-rests camp rest pads.

I want the center box done before the EXPO is here in May. I usually camp away from the event but it seems that by doing that, I miss out on a lot of activities so this year I want to camp at the event itself and I want to do that in my 71, Rueben.
Mikey

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Accuride or Knape & Vogt. Their heavy duty locking slides are second to none. The K&V has a one of a kind push/pull locking mechanism. Very cool!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I am certainly open to any suggestions for building the box between the two side boxes. I am not sure if it will have drawers or will simply open up from the top for access to the camp gear. I think I would like to have a drawer system but I have never built drawers before and I am not sure if I am up to the challenge. As I said, a drawer system would be really nice.

I would definitely suggest drawers if you have a choice between the two.

I have both a drawer and compartments accessed via hatch doors on my setup and getting into those compartments can be a pain if there's any gear stowed on top of them (so of course the most-frequently-used items always go in the drawer first).

JRHartley

Completed storage system in a 2000 RR P38 - Where the spare tyre was located yielded usable space that is accessed via cut-outs in the base under the slide out fridge. A combination of Bundu boxes, Pelican & Doskocil cases make-up removable storage.

There was wasted space behind the spare tyre so last month I converted it to swing out with storage for two 5 gallon containers.

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 155

mkitchen

Explorer
Phase One done on Rueben, my 71 Ford

I posted up some shots of the side boxes my son and I built for Rueben. Here are some of the finished project. This is only the first phase. I intend on building another box to go between the two side boxes, in the front of the bed and that box will open up to make a seven foot long bed.

2ykdkj5.jpg

2d015za.jpg

10ok5tu.jpg

I have a lot more info in my thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57673-1971-F-250-4X4-is-Back-Home So if you enjoy the older iron, check it out.
Mikey

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
I am in the process of "research" on storage / bed solutions for my Expy... worried somewhat about weight, but think I can do it with the "holes" cut as some of you have done. Also worried about security, as I don't want to worry (that much) about the stuff I keep in the truck...
That being said, are the "plywood" solutions relatively secure???

Hammer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan