Post up your drawer/storage system

SSSSTFIRE

Adventurer
Poopy pictures, but one I built for a 5th gen 4Runner, two drawers, 500lb locking slides, and a clam shell box for hilfit and max trax.

Java, nice work. The wife's got a 5th gen and this setup looks very nice. You wouldn't happen to have any drawings or details would you??? :sombrero:

05nissanXterra

Observer
Here's the back of my 2nd generation Xterra

6y6yza5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Rot Box

Explorer
Here's a platform I made for my 100 series Land Cruiser for fairly cheap. I used some 2x8's for the vertical supports and a nice piece of plywood. I found this ugly piece of rubber back carpet for the top. Using turn buckles I secured it to the original third row seating attachments. My dogs now have a place to ride and I have lots of storage. Totes stay put and are easily removed if needed. Seats fold down to make a nice sleeping platform. Also all the factory cubby's/storage compartments remain accessible. Very happy with the outcome.

Oh and I replaced the fancy carpet on the tail gate with a piece of stainless steel. Makes a great cutting board, work bench etc.. Cleans up easily.

DSC03749_zps7ff57b98.jpg

DSC03750_zpsc7a22c7f.jpg

Updated platform with drivers side hinged door a rubberized coating on the rear of the water tank, aluminum trim and side hinged doors.
10916432673_6351c44b77_c.jpg

Showing the 54" drawer length.
10916179476_6baa67e3e6_c.jpg

Small rear power panel I put together including a 12v power supply, dual anderson 30amp Power Polls and a Hella LED map light all for use when sleeping in the vehicle on the platform.
10916184026_cb24628a96_c.jpg

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
So the tray comes out independent of the drawer system? Ok that's cool.

Yes it worked out pretty sweet.

Java, nice work. The wife's got a 5th gen and this setup looks very nice. You wouldn't happen to have any drawings or details would you??? :sombrero:

What details in particular? It just happens they were just taken out and are sitting in my garage right now....

dnellans

Adventurer
The back of a 40 is kind of a small blank slate for ideas. I've landed on pelican cases since I run most trails topless in the summer. The dust in Colorado and Utah was killing me, that Moab silt can get into everything! The pelican cases solve all of that. I was thinking of adding a drawer system but I've decided to incorporating the cases under/onto a platform i

Since these pictures were taken I've landed on three 1650's and two 1600's. I lay two 1650's on the floor side by side and stack the other on top with the fridge next to it, then the 1600's go on each wheel well. The 1690's are just too heavy when loaded to be practical.

Drew what is the weight of those 1650's by the time you get them packed? I'm thinking about solutions for on top of the jumping jack that might be sturdier than using action packers but don't really know how necessary it's will be yet. Huffing something really heavy up on top of the jumping jack is a no go for my wife though.

fireball

Explorer
Guys,

I'm planning my cargo organizer/drawer system now. Going to put two 8" subs in the front of the cargo box, firing towards the back seats. Given my airspace requirements for the subs, I can either have a shallow enclosure running the whole width of the system, or a deeper enclosure that only runs halfway. So I am trying to decide between the two. I've never had a fancy schmancy drawer system like all you lucky folks do, so please advise which setup you'd rather have:

2 equally sized drawers. Each roughly 21"W x 33"D
One short and one long drawer. One at 21"x40 and another at 21"x28".

If it matters, the exterior height of the box is fixed at 11".

Thanks in advance for any input!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I would (and did) go for one short and one long drawer in that situation. It's more total storage volume (-5 length, +7 length). Plus, having a 40" drawer would come in quite handy packing longer items, and you don't loose that much space off the shorter drawer.

Smileyshaun

Observer
My drawer in progress

Still needs a little fine tuning but so far has worked wonderfully , the spare tire is getting moved to the rear bumper as soon as I get the free time to build it so I may add some extra storage under the box

Had some extra metal drawers that worked perfectly leaving enough space behind them to fit a stove , gal of water , clothes , sleeping bags and bedrolls and tools

Going to have to trim down the floor panels so I can wrap the carpet all the way around them but for now this works

Next is to add a power inverter and a extra battery under the floor so I can run electrical components without the worry of draining my main battery

dyogim

Explorer
My work in progress. The middle platform slides on a pair of garage rails. I'll be adding the rollers/wheels to the platform after I mount the rails with some low profile bolts. There will be 2 platforms; 4' long (as shown n pic) and another 2.5' long. Width is 38.5" wide. Either one I'll be able to mount flatside up or frame side up. depending on my needs. Space underneath the platform behind the jobox drawer will be used for storage. Once this is done, I'll work on covering up the side storage area to make it all flat for those times I need to use it as a sleeping area.

IMAG0504.jpg

dyogim

Explorer
I worked on the bed project again and finally bolted the rails to the side supports and mounted the rollers to the platform. After all said and done, I'm very pleased with the results. now build the shorter of the 2 platforms, a way to lock the platforms in place, figure out a way to easily pull the platform from the tailgate without having to climb in and them the covers/doors for the side storage. I'm still deciding if I want to cut down the excess part of the rollers. here are some pics. let me know what you think.

Side view with flatside up
IMAG0524.jpg

View from the rear, flatside up
IMAG0525.jpg

Framside up
IMAG0527.jpg

Frameside up pulled out to the 2nd to the last set of rollers.
IMAG0530.jpg

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
First time I've seen garage door rollers, but they seem super sturdy and very logical! Nice build

Thanks! I've had the idea to use the parts for a couple of years now. As an alternative to the expensive drawer sliders i needed to run the full length of the bed. With this also being a budget build, the cost of materials is about $80. $30 for the rails from a local garage door shop, $10 for the rollers on ebay and about $40 for the wood. Another requirment for the build is to be able to remove the setup easily. As it sits now, i can remove the platform and the support structure in about 1-2 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears