Power inverter vs generator

MOguy

Explorer
He's talking about not using a bank at all, never mind for crazy loads like aircon.

I am looking for less space and less weight and more power. Seems a generator will suit my wants better.

I am wanting this for more of a base camp setup. I sold the camper trailer, the kids are older and the wife has agreed to get back to more primitive tent camping. My older son and myself would head out for the more extended journey ( and travel light) but I am looking for more comfy base camping now that the wife and younger one want to come along.

Last edited:
I am looking for less space and less weight and more power. Seems a generator will suit my wants better.

I am wanting this for more of a base camp setup. I sold the camper trailer, the kids are older and the wife has agreed to get back to more primitive camping. My older son and myself would head out for the more extended journey but I am looking for more comfy base camping now that the wife and younger one want to come along.

For cooking/heating, you can't beat propane for a lot of energy in a small space, but if you toss A/C and/or a microwave into the mix then a small genset is the best option. I have a truck camper with both A/C and microwave, but very rare that I use either one, unless I'm on shore power somewhere. Coffee is quick enough with a small kettle on the stove and either an AeroPress or a 4-cup French press...the stove also takes the chill off the camper on cold mornings, as it's very well insulated and rare that I will turn on heat.

I have two generators, a 36yo Honda EX650 that is compact and quiet (and still starts/runs as well as the day I bought it) and a 2yo Generac IX2000 inverter model. Which one I take depends on time of year...the Honda in cooler seasons when there is no chance I'd want to run the A/C, but due to several days of rain or cloudiness may need to recharge my battery...and the Generac in Summer when I might want to run the A/C to cool the camper down in the evening before bed. Both are fairly quiet and will run about 5+ hours on a filling at partial load. The Generac has no problem with my 9K BTU Coleman Mach 3 Cub as long as my house charger is not dumping a lot of power into the battery at the same time. In most locations I camp, running the Fantastic Fan on low moves plenty of air through the camper to keep it comfortable and only uses about 15Wh/hr if running constantly.

I do have a couple plug-in Bestek inverters of 150 and 200 watts that I use for charging laptop, tablet and a few other items that I don't have 12V adapters for. Also have a 600/1200 PSW inverter, but really nothing I run that needs that much power.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer

I am wanting this for more of a base camp setup. I sold the camper trailer, the kids are older and the wife has agreed to get back to more primitive tent camping. My older son and myself would head out for the more extended journey ( and travel light) but I am looking for more comfy base camping now that the wife and younger one want to come along.

..sounds a bit like conflicting goals...
work out what you actually want then work out what you need and go for it;
My last moderate power, base camp iteration; (Lights, fridge and induction hob) was supported by a medium (1600 or 2000 watt Yamaha) genny recharging a moderate 100 AH battery and a small 80 watt inverter, for the lights
Fire up the genny for several hours to cook and to recharge the battery (25 amp no name charger) to operate the fridge for 24 hours. The lights were my regular 450 lumen 110 volt soft white Edison base LED.
..It worked OK but the lack of cargo space in the TJ made it less than attractive long term ...now I just use propane stove and a high efficiency cooler (with the small battery and the same inverter & lights)... everyone is different so your results (your level of acceptable hassle) might be too.

Comfort wise the best things that I have done in the last several years, were the coleman cot with springs around the edge & foam mattress, and the Thetford porta pot (get one with a big enough tank).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
..sounds a bit like conflicting goals...
work out what you actually want then work out what you need and go for it;
My last moderate power, base camp iteration; (Lights, fridge and induction hob) was supported by a medium (1600 or 2000 watt Yamaha) genny recharging a moderate 100 AH battery and a small 80 watt inverter, for the lights
Fire up the genny for several hours to cook and to recharge the battery (25 amp no name charger) to operate the fridge for 24 hours. The lights were my regular 450 lumen 110 volt soft white Edison base LED.
..It worked OK but the lack of cargo space in the TJ made it less than attractive long term ...now I just use propane stove and a high efficiency cooler (with the small battery and the same inverter & lights)... everyone is different so your results (your level of acceptable hassle) might be too.

Comfort wise the best things that I have done in the last several years, were the coleman cot with springs around the edge & foam mattress, and the Thetford porta pot (get one with a big enough tank).

Enjoy!

I already have a Honda 2K generator that's very quite I have used, i can pack that along. I was starting to read a lot about inverters and people using them here so I thought it might offer me a better option but that doesn't seem to be the case. I will mainly use it just for AC and heat and light. We have always cooked on the fire, or portable propane stove even when we had the camper. I don't even remember if we even use the burners on the stove in the camper.

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
A 2001 Jeep Wrangler has an 800lb payload. Battery bank? microwave? aircon from batteries? forget it.
A small inverter (less than 500 watts) for charging laptops, cameras etc.
Heat and cooking from propane, get a good french press for coffee.
light 12 volt led. (using an inverter to run led lighting is nuts.)
If you want more it will have to be a trailer or a bigger rig.

MOguy

Explorer
A 2001 Jeep Wrangler has an 800lb payload. Battery bank? microwave? aircon from batteries? forget it.
A small inverter (less than 500 watts) for charging laptops, cameras etc.
Heat and cooking from propane, get a good french press for coffee.
light 12 volt led. (using an inverter to run led lighting is nuts.)
If you want more it will have to be a trailer or a bigger rig.
I have a cargo trailer spring over on 33s. I will probably put a pintle hitch on it and we will more than likely take another vehicle. There will be no microwave. I haven't had a lab top or desk top in a decade. I'm going to have to look into the press for coffee.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

I'm mounting my Honda 2.2k on a hitch step with one of those locking plates off a rear trailer receiver, I'll haul it outside and can just hook up and disconnect quick and easy without any setup, worrying about it getting stolen or gas smells in my sleeping area.. If I want to run it all day/night long for aircon and I dont wanna feel the vibration I figure I can move it to my tow vehicle's hitch.

Best of all it wont add to the tongue weight, if anything it'll take a lil off.

Alloy

who makes a good small coffee percolator that won't get grounds in my coffee.

CampChef stove - hand grinder - Hario single serve drippers.

Pouring water though the dripper first makes a hotter cup of coffee.

DorB

Adventurer
If you camp alone with no neighbors you can spot with your eyes, then generator is a simple solution.

If there is another person in proximity to you, a generator is one of the more annoying noise you can meet when you go for camping .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
If you camp alone with no neighbors you can spot with your eyes, then generator is a simple solution.

If there is another person in proximity to you, a generator is one of the more annoying noise you can meet when you go for camping .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These quiet generators make less noise than a car idling. When I used it I put it behind the trailer and you not could hear it from the road. I would but a few totes around it to deaden noise even more. It would be running primarily afternoon into evening for AC. The large AC units on motor homes make far more noise.

If the neighbor did hear it they would probably be closer than they should. Conversation around the fire pit is far louder than these generators. Unless there is complete silence this generator probably won't be noticed by anybody else.

Last edited:

DorB

Adventurer
You sound, literally, like someone who cares for your surrounding.
Your not the majority..

Down wind, you hear generator from quit a distance, especially the monotonous pitch sounds.

MOguy

Explorer
You sound, literally, like someone who cares for your surrounding.
Your not the majority..

Down wind, you hear generator from quit a distance, especially the monotonous pitch sounds.

We have walked away from it just to hear how far the noise travels. Most campgrounds have silent hours past ten. Most run ACs on their RVs all night, they are far louder than my setup. The ranger or camp host making their rounds makes more noise. My AC is small and will run of the "eco mode". In actual campgrounds I promise you my generator is far from the loudest noises people make. I live and camp in very wooded conditions. In winter noise travels further put once the leaves grow back on the trees it doesn't.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
who makes a good small coffee percolator that won't get grounds in my coffee.
Use a burr grinder on coarse setting, or if you're buying coffee from someone who does the grinding just tell them you're using a percolator.

Although I prefer making espresso for a latte

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Alloy

These quiet generators make less noise than a car idling. When I used it I put it behind the trailer and you not could hear it from the road. I would but a few totes around it to deaden noise even more. It would be running primarily afternoon into evening for AC. The large AC units on motor homes make far more noise.

If the neighbor did hear it they would probably be closer than they should. Conversation around the fire pit is far louder than these generators. Unless there is complete silence this generator probably won't be noticed by anybody else.

Couple of year ago in the fall we were at a site that backed onto a river. A couple pulled into a site on the same side but 300' away from us. We only knew they were there because the husband asked us about generator (9-11 & 6-9) hours.

He must have thought being a small inverter (I walked by and looked at it) generator and with not many people around putting it down the bank behind the site closer to the river would be O.K but I could hear it when he started it a 6:40am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior