Prices for Used Land Cruisers

xman

Observer
I found a few 95-97 LC'S with locks but with miles in the 150,000 mile range. I will be looking at the 95 this weekend as he's the original owner, has all service records and serviced just about everything on it within the last 20,000 miles. I will keep you guys posted.

By the way, what is the average life of a LC engine? Is 150,000 too many miles?

Last edited:

rgsiii

Observer
I don't think it is too many miles. Having said that if it has been ridden hard and put up wet 10K might be too many.

I believe my '94 has about 150K and has no mechanical problems. I did a HG on it about 10K ago as preventive maintenance. Some people think that the estimated lifespan to be 300,000 miles.

Try to avoid problems. Try to get something that does not have rust and other obvious existing problems--it will save you many and headaches in the long run (unless you get a price break and can do the work yourself). Don't get into a rush, consider it a goal to get the best vehicle that fits your budget.

xman

Observer
I checked out that one owner Land Cruiser on Sunday and it was in fair condition. It all checked out except for the diff locks were not working. The front and rear diff lock lights came on but never locked. The center diff lock light never came on. He said that he never used them in 12 years and I was the first person to activate those features. I told him that that I would have a mechanic look at his LC before I buy it. He's now making excuses that he can't take it to the mechanic I have selected for the pre-purchase vehicle inspection. I am now thinking the LC may have a lot more mechanical problems. It's looking like I may have to pass on this LC.

I think I will look at that the 2001 4WD Trooper for sale where my brother lives.

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
That is, in my mind, the biggest problem with the 80 series cruisers. There are excellent examples out there, but you have to be patient and look. Several years ago I was talking with the head of service from a local Toyota dealership when I was toying with the idea of getting a 4Runner or Land Cruiser (now I really whish I had bought the Cruiser), and he said the Land Cruisers tend to be reliability nightmares. A bit shocked by his comment I asked him to explain. He said many of the vehicles they were seeing were lease returns. When we buy a car we expect many years from it. The people who had leases expected the car to last exactly 36 months, and treated it accordingly. He said they had one that came in on trade the day before and they couldn't tell if the oil drain plug had ever been removed! He also pointed out the the owner of the dealership could have any car he wanted and drove (and still drives) a '96 Cruiser.

Cruisers are tough trucks, but they will crumble if neglected long enough.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I wish I would have waited a year when I was shopping last Oct. I found a 99 with 53k at a Honda dealership who had been sitting on it for 3wks already. Gas was currently 2.80 a gal and their Internet price was 21k and was stickered at 23k Trade in was 18.5k and I offered them 19k to get it ou of there, they so wouldnt budge on the price but I ended up with my current love 02 4Runner. Good luck!!

Aaron

rgsiii

Observer
xman said:
I checked out that one owner Land Cruiser on Sunday and it was in fair condition. It all checked out except for the diff locks were not working. The front and rear diff lock lights came on but never locked. The center diff lock light never came on. He said that he never used them in 12 years and I was the first person to activate those features. I told him that that I would have a mechanic look at his LC before I buy it. He's now making excuses that he can't take it to the mechanic I have selected for the pre-purchase vehicle inspection. I am now thinking the LC may have a lot more mechanical problems. It's looking like I may have to pass on this LC.

I think I will look at that the 2001 4WD Trooper for sale where my brother lives.

Not allowing a mechanic of your choice to look at it sounds very suspicious. I would run.

cruiser guy

Explorer
bigreen505 said:
Several years ago I was talking with the head of service from a local Toyota dealership when I was toying with the idea of getting a 4Runner or Land Cruiser (now I really whish I had bought the Cruiser), and he said the Land Cruisers tend to be reliability nightmares. He also pointed out the the owner of the dealership could have any car he wanted and drove (and still drives) a '96 Cruiser.

Cruisers are tough trucks, but they will crumble if neglected long enough.

That's with most vehicles. We were told the same thing by a Toyota mechanic before we bought ours!
There is a reason though why it's LandCruisers that are the most desired vehicles off the beaten path. With a little TLC they WILL take the beating.
I've had ours since 1989 and got it with less than 90,000km's. It now has nearly 500,000km's and is still going strong. I've had to work on it but it has only let me down once. I even put an aftermarket turbo on the engine over a 100,000km's ago (it did not have one originally) and it took that without any hiccups either.
I do my own work and it is easily the nicest vehicle to work on when I look at the newer vehicles. There's room, the important stuff is easily accessed, and I can do most anything on the side of the road if necessary.
Go for a 'Cruiser and I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Grouseman

Adventurer
X-Man,

You may have to go out of state to find what your looking for. I wanted lockers also and ended up looking 1.5 yrs. before I found it. Then bought it on Ebay and had a fellow MUD member check it out for me before purchasing. I have driven my 80 about 30K in 1.5 yrs for fun, hobbies, etc.

SS

Diesel Joe

Observer
I say youre trying to compare apples and oranges! You cant place an FZJ80 and ANY Isuzu in the same sentence! If you want what a land cruiser can give you fine I say go for it. The two vehicles cant be compared. You arent going to get in the Isuzu what youre going to get in the 80

bootzilla

Adventurer
Diesel Joe said:
I say youre trying to compare apples and oranges! You cant place an FZJ80 and ANY Isuzu in the same sentence! If you want what a land cruiser can give you fine I say go for it. The two vehicles cant be compared. You arent going to get in the Isuzu what youre going to get in the 80

...YEAH!!! GRRRR!!! Dey took errr jerrrbs!!!!! :bigbossHL:

Diesel Joe

Observer
cruiser guy said:
If I were looking for an '80, lockers would be a MUST have!!

I agree, except that makes finding a "nice" maybe low mile 80 very difficult. By that I mean that less than 2% of all 80's imported into the US had lockers!!! Finding a very nice low miles 80 that doesnt have lockers should not diswade you from buying it. Throwing in ARB's is fast and easy. And, "some" people reguard ARB's more highly than the factory lockers that came from Toyota. Just my .02 cents.

Scott Brady

Founder
Diesel Joe said:
I say youre trying to compare apples and oranges! You cant place an FZJ80 and ANY Isuzu in the same sentence! If you want what a land cruiser can give you fine I say go for it. The two vehicles cant be compared.

I respectfully disagree, having owned or driven hard EVERY Land Cruiser series and all Isuzu SUV's.

Owned:
Amigo, Rodeo and Trooper
FJ40, FJ60

Driven hard or Raced:
PZJ73, FZJ80, UZJ100

The Isuzu Trooper is a "World" platform, just like the 80 series and is used extensively in the Third World environments and the riggors of Australia. The Trooper has a larger rear axle than ALL Land Cruisers and bigger, more powerful brakes. The Trooper also has greater rear wheel travel than all LC's and more internal storage volume than the 80's.

Build quality is excellent, which I can attest to, having zero failures in over 110,000 miles of rough use with my Trooper. The Trooper brakes are so good that I have never needed to service them (not even pads). The only issue with the Troopers is oil consumption, but that is related to the tolerances being so tight between the piston/rings/cylinder that oil cannot drain back fast enough. Use thin oil and check the level and it will run without issue. The Trooper motor is also more powerful than the FZJ and the Trooper gets 2-3 mpg better. 80's have their share of motor issues with PHH and gasket failures.

I am not saying that the Trooper is a better overall vehicle than the 80 series, but it is certainly an apples/apples comparison in every category. The FZJ80 does have a stronger front end and a solid front axle, which a distinct advantage in my mind, along with better aftermarket support. The 80 most likely has a longer service life too. Off-Road, they perform nearly identical (two open diff trucks). The 80 can be purchased with factory lockers, but the Trooper is less expensive used, so adding dual Air Locker is an easy solution.

Diesel Joe said:
You arent going to get in the Isuzu what youre going to get in the 80

So, what do you get with 80 that you cannot get in the Trooper? (except SFA and Lockers)

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have to agree with Scott. The Trooper is a great platform, and a bargain for a tough, proven 4WD vehicle...

That's coming from a bonafide Cruiser fanatic!

-H-

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
So, what do you get with 80 that you cannot get in the Trooper? (except SFA and Lockers)

Well, the obvious answer to me is size. That and the aforementioned aftermarket support. I'll give you SFA, but considering that your chances of finding a great Cruiser with lockers is slim, I'm not sure that is a valid differentiation point. In all likelyhood, if you want lockers you will be going the ARB route in either truck.

You have to decide whether bigger is better. For the places I tend to go and the length of my trips (short), the smallest vehicle I could get away with made the most sense.

The Land Cruiser trumps the Isuzu in aftermarket support. That is not even a contest. But the real question for me is what aftermarket products do I need that are not available for the Trooper but are readily available for the Toyota? I came up with three:

1. Slee is a 20 min. drive away and there are no Isuzu experts around here that I am aware of.
2. Long range fuel tank
3. On-board water tank (this might be a wash as I think the Slee internal tank will fit in the Trooper)

For me it came down to price. If I could have found a Land Cruiser for what I paid for the Trooper I would have bought it, just for the slightly extra room. Ultimately Slee talked me out of the Land Cruiser, he didn't seem to think I would be happy with one, and suggested that after you catch up on back maintenance they are no bargain. As much as I drool over the Cruisers, I bow to Slee's expertise.

SOCAL, if the point of your post was to bash the Troopers, there are better boards for that than ExPo. If you meant it as a joke, it was lost on most of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle