Prices for Used Land Cruisers

xman

Observer
I am looking at a 1997 Land Cruiser with 105,000 miles on it that I saw for sale in my mom's neighborhood last night. The owner (original) wants $11,500. I asked her a few questions on the telephone and the LC was basically used as a shopping utility vehicle and never off road. It's fully loaded but the female owner did not know if it had lockers on it. I will be checking it out later today or Sunday. What's a good price for this vehicle? I am thinking $10,000 or less. Should I take it to Toyota dealer and have them inspect it before I buy it?

My buddy says that I should get a Isuzu Trooper 4x4 instead and knows where I can get one priced at $1500 to $2500.

Last edited:

xman

Observer
I will be checking out the Land Cruiser tomorrow and might be a LC owner again.:smiley_drive:

blupaddler

Conspirator
That is a pretty good price. Especially if she has all the records. The prices on 80 series have really dropped in the last year or so, gas being so expensive.

Whether or not you have it checked out is up to you. It would not hurt. But remember the car is almost 10 years old, and will have some wear. However, if the original owner has all the records, that might help some of your decision making process.

I would say the price is pretty fair. Don't let $1,000 plus or minus get in the way of a great car. The mileage is great. If the color is what you want...Go for it. I love my 80.

Check out:
http://sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

There is a ton of good information regarding purchasing an 80.
Even if it doesn't have lockers, these are extremely capable vehicles without them. I don't know what type of driving you do (or are planning on doing), but unless you're doing rock crawling a lot, you might not even need the lockers.

See if and when the original owner had the front axles (birfields) serviced. If not this is a must-do PM item.

rgsiii

Observer
About 2 1/2 years ago, I bought a '94 with 120K for $10K--with the current prices should be less. Your vehicle isn't a steal, but if it is in good shape, better to pay a bit more now and avoid problems. I don't think it is a bad price and if I was in the market and it checked out, would buy it.

Look over some of the IH8MUD.com 80 series FAQ ,in addition to Slee's, to refresh your memory of the vehicle and go over it well.

I would hold out for lockers. You don't need them until you need them.:D

xman

Observer
I am taking a buddy with me who only buys used vehicles and knows how sniff out good vehicles from bad ones. I printed out the info on" How to buy a used truck" from http://sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm and the info on www.ih8mud.com was excellent. I won't be doing any rock crawling with the LC and will use it as my expedition and hunting rig. Thanks for the advice and I will let you guys know what happens.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Good luck! if you like it buy it - the landcruiser will pay you back almost instantly with pleasure-able ownership.

...And Landcruisers are like busses if you don't buy this one or it turns out not to be to your liking - there will be another one coming into you life soon

rgsiii

Observer
I just want to clarify the use of locking differentials. They are useful in rocks, going to Moab, they made some pretty demanding situations look easy. They are also great in slippery situations such as mud. Mine are mostly used in mud and slick sutuations.

I agree with Desertdude--if this isn't what you want, wait and the right one will come.

brittan

Adventurer
I paid 16K for a 97 with 42K on the clock last year. The seller said he had callers willing to give an addl. 1K but I was the first to show with the $$$. If the sellers story checks out I think its a fair price.

xman

Observer
My buddy and I went to look at the 97 LC . My buddy immediately saw that the left rear corner had previous damage to that side and the tire was moved to right side in attempt to conceal it. It look like they backed into something or someone hit the LC. The owner (college kid) denied damage to that side then said that his dad would know more.

The interior was filthy with dirt and other debris like hair and food particles. It had not be vacuumed in months possibly years! The LC had no front/rear diff locks and the only maintenance was fluid changes. I asked for service receipts/records but once again the kid had to check with his dad. It had 105,000 miles and with some minor dings to the back. Overall, the LC was poorly maintained, had previous damage, and the kid was firm on the price.

I was not expecting a showroom vehicle but I don't like liars and people who try to conceal damage. It makes me suspicious that there might be a lot more wrong with it. I left my business card and told him that if he wanted $8500 in cash (pending further inspection) to call me and that if anyone offered him more to take it.

I will continue my search. I did find some great deals on www.ih8mud.com but they were out of state. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
good move on passing - there are plenty of pre owned LC's out there that have been meticulously maintained by their owners

also check into Craigslist.com and search different variations of the word landcruiser - toyota landcruiser - land-cruiser - 80 series

good luck!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Low miles and exceptional care of the vehicle over lockers for me :D and those two never seem to go together...

rgsiii

Observer
You made the right move by passing on the vehicle.

Keep looking and don't get into a rush--very easy to say and hard to do.

brittan

Adventurer
rgsiii said:
You made the right move by passing on the vehicle.

Keep looking and don't get into a rush--very easy to say and hard to do.

Amen...mine is so clean. I don't think anyone sat in the rear seats before I got it. It was owned by showbirds who were only in AZ 6 months out of the year.
I'd take good condition over lockers too. I like ARB's better than factory...but that's me. 95-97 are the only years I'd look for. I have seen a few nice ones. Be patient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998