Probably newbish DRW vs. Super Single questions

ReluctantTraveler

Absolutely not true.
I have been running 305R7019.5 Michelin XDE2 tyres on our rig for 20 years.
Michelin publish extensive data for airing down these tyres.
This chart is based directly on that data, as are the pics.
We would run on the yellow all the way across the Simpson, for example and for difficult places we would go down even further for short sections.
View attachment 818360View attachment 818361

For climbing "Big Red" we would be down well under 20psi.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
That's a REALLY useful charge, thank you!

On DRWs you'd of course run into tire rubbing, but good to know they theoretically can be aired down if you keep your speed low.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Because of their single steel only sidewall ply, which is thin and flexible, the Michelins stay cooler than many tyres when aired down, so are less likely to be heat damaged.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Howard70

Adventurer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the potentially greater probability of damaging the sidewall of the outside dual tire if you travel in areas of sharp rocks or hard wood stubs (think of the 6" pieces of fire hardened sumac left after a brush fire). I realize that a very careful driver experienced in tight tracks through the rocks can keep their outside dual tires away from rocks that they can't easily see once their front tries are passed, but the rest of us have a tendency to lose track (I couldn't resist) of the path our rear wheels take as we weave through obstacles. I've been on trips twice where DRW trucks have destroyed tires this way.

Also - aren't dual rear wheels somewhat more difficult to change if you get a puncture/sidewall cut that can't be plugged?

Howard

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Absolutely not true.
I have been running 305R7019.5 Michelin XDE2 tyres on our rig for 20 years.

That's great an all, but this needs some context.

Unless I'm missing something, those Michelins have a load rating of just 3075lbs per tire,
and a speed rating of M, which is just 81mph

I sure hope those numbers are wrong, as there are plenty of LT's that have better ratings than that.

Also worth noting, that this particular size XDE2 doesnt even look to be available currently.
Its not shown on MFG website.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Unless I'm missing something, those Michelins have a load rating of just 3075lbs per tire,
and a speed rating of M, which is just 81mph
3075 KILOGRAMS.
80 mph is faster than I ever want to go in my 6.5T truck.

Not sure about the availability. The last I purchased was 2 years ago. I prefer the Michelin, but there is an equivalent Bridgestone.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
3075 KILOGRAMS.
80 mph is faster than I ever want to go in my 6.5T truck.

Not sure about the availability. The last I purchased was 2 years ago. I prefer the Michelin, but there is an equivalent Bridgestone.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Glad I was missing something 🤣

So what axle weights are you seeing typically, and do you have an inflation chart for those tires?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We are typically 2.8T on the front and 3.6T at the rear when fully loaded.
I use the chart posted earlier religiously (which came from Michelin data for this tyre).

This tyre is popular with tour operators in Oz. 100,000km is the typical life of a set. Michelin would not approve it for OEM fitment because it is a "drive" tyre and they did not want it on the steer, but it works well all-round.
They are typically fitted to 8 1/4" wide rims.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Last edited:

incognito

Adventurer
HY,
I have a Bigfoot 2500 4000lbs with a 2005 Ram 3500 DRW. I like my DRW, 75 mph on highway all day nice comfortable ride no vibrations. I had it 2 years on 19.5 alcoa singles ride was like on bricks and with lost mph due to heavy tires.
offroad with the camper ( had a lighter Bigfoot 1500 before for offroad) DRW is more safe due to swing. more traction with the DRW.
the only place whe is better SRW is in places where we absolutely need to follow deep tracks
My observations for offroad with Bigfoot 1500
trucks are very heavy, put a camper on it is worst for offroad. soft sand or soft mud and we are stuck due to the weight. a lot of swing anyway.
engine: these trucks are made to tow or haul at high speeds not for crawling at 5-10 mph. because of the turbo the EGT are going through the roof after a while( maybe less with the 550/5500 due to a gearing suitable for high loads) we need electric fans to push a lot of air through the radiator and intercooler at slow speed not belt driven one like the Dodge ram 3500. a better intercooler and a better oil radiator to cool the engine a lot.
transmission: same for thansmisson, bought on ebay a transmission auxiliary cooler with fan and thermostat 170 off 180F on.
suspension needs a lot of work
brakes need to have exhaust brakes and aloso 4500 5500/550 has better brakes huge pistons and discs.
at 100 000k Can dollar for a truck I'll not abuse it offroad, unless you have a money pit.before the trucks were easy to repair, today is a nightmare., too much electronics, sensors, engines are too sensitive to overheating. Overheating will makes things worst, triggering codes melting sensors, wires etc.
So if you want offroading a 5500/550 is suitable due to gearing, brakes, do what you can to prevent overheating engine, brakes transmission etc. or an older truck which is a lot more tuff not so sensitive to overheating. Also the lightest camper I'll be comfortable with to minimise load.
At last I'll worry about SRW or DRW. But If I was me I'll keep it DRW all day long. Offroading in Colorado and Utah never a single time I've thought I'll be better with singles

Attachments

• 365408340_10160155705996902_5231768906310434954_n.jpg
    365408340_10160155705996902_5231768906310434954_n.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

tmacc

Regarding your question about dual rear wheel. It was mostly highway use but felt fine on maintained gravel road / forest service road. More than that and it was creeping along so as not to destroy the camper (aka washboard and potholes). A couple times in snow was fine but that doesn't mean much because snow varies a lot.
Oops. Didn't mean to copy this.

Last edited:

tmacc

Interesting topic for me since I'm sort of going down the same rabbit hole.
This might seem dumb, but on DRW, could one put on longer studs and say a 1/2" or more spacer to reduce tire rubbing if the tires are aired down? I realize from comments above this is a rarity.
One sees lifted DRW with really wide tires often in the West. I realize they're probably just for show.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior