Problem with SPOT tracking

ExpoMike

Hi everyone. I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or if my SPOT is defective.

I have now tried this on 4 occations and have yet to get the tracking function to work. I am signed up for the tracking service and it shows in our account and I verified with SPOT.

I am able to get OK messages out and when I go through the proceedures to put it into tracking mode, it appears to be going into that mode. I get the OK light to flash with the power light, about every 3 seconds. What I don't see, unlike when I send an OK message, is the OK light stay solid for 5 seconds while it sends the tracking message. I see that happen with the OK message and I get those emails and see them on our shared page but nothing with tracks.

I talked to SPOT's tech support and they wanted me to change batteries, which have only been used the 4 times. I haven't been to the store to buy some but I am doubtful this is the issue since the OK message is working.

Anyone else have problems with this or what is the secret to getting the tracking mode working?

Thanks!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Need more info. So have you attempted to track a drive/walk/ride down the road with the tracking activated for an hour or more?

I've had some tracks make their first "track point" about a half hour after turning on the tracking. It seems to be a long-ish term function: tracking your movement for 10 or 15 minutes isn't going to work so well.

ExpoMike

Yes, I actually did a 150 mile trip, about 50 offroad. This was the second time I tried and was quite disappointed when I did not have tracks from the trip. The third time we took it around town and nothing. I even had my PDA phone so I could check for emails and nothing came through.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sounds defective to me. Weird that part of it works (the ok) and not the tracking. Maybe they can flash it like a cellphone? and then that way you can start fresh?

Silly question, but your SPOT messages you have setup... maybe they're going into your SPAM folder on your email?

ExpoMike

Nope, not an issue with email spam. Even when I check our SPOT page, which shows you messages and locations on the map, no tracks ever show up, only our OK messages.

I think another call to SPOT is in order. Didn't you have a problem with yours? I thought I recall you getting yours replaced.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Mike, if you're asking me... ours has NOT been replaced... . We have had our unit since they first came out and knock on wood, not one problem and original batteries too.

mobilguy66

What SOCALFJ said.... Also weird things like , Do you have too it close to another GPS unit, Radar Detector, Scanner, 2 way radio or anything that may interfere with it? Even new batteries might be worth a try but also taking them out, let sit for a minute or so, then reinstall them. I'm sure you know they must be Lithium. I would then put it back in track mode and leave in the car/truck or backyard overnight to see if that helps. (even though it will track your same location). If all the above post's don't work, I think I'd send it back. Mine does not always do the 10-15 minute track, it sometimes skips several track points but it's still a terrific unit. Good Luck, Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior