Project Alpha Bound - 1985 4Runner Adventure Truck Build

ab1985

Explorer
So far I think I can get away with stowing everything in, behind, or underneath the vehicle. If possible I'd like to keep the roof clear. At some point I can see carrying light-weight, lo-profile items on top such as certain tools or a solar panel, but probably won't get to that on this first version of the build.

About the wife and kid - the way I've got things set up there's plenty of room for us all to travel, but we'd be tent camping after reaching our destination. No good way to get gear and three bodies into a 4Runner:(

Soobarubin

Observer
This is almost EXACTLY the build I would love to do with my 4Runner! I'll be following closely, thanks for more inspiration! Good luck with the build!

-Jaren

coryc85

You posted on my thread over on TTORA, just following you over here. First of all, that is a great looking 4Runner, I WISH I had an '85 (mine is an '88). That double shear hinge you found is pretty sweet. I have been considering this one from EMS Offroad since it comes with a nice setup for the latch and a pre-drilled plate for the spare. http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=181

Anyway, I'll be watching to see what you come up with for the tire carrier.

By the way, I grew up in Owensboro, KY, went to college at UK. Partied in Louisville several times. I always liked that town.

ab1985

Explorer
That's a pretty nifty kit. I almost bought a teflon block on ebay yesterday to use as a stop for the swing out arm, but I like the poly urethane unit in that kit. Thanks for the link - I just emailed them to see if they sell it separately.

ab1985

Explorer
So working at night has proven to be a little more difficult then I planned. My daughter's bedroom is above the garage, and I ran out of "quiet" things to do pretty quickly. Saturday was my birthday, though, so my wife pulled kid duty all morning before the party and I got to work in the garage a bit.

Not a ton of progress, but it's coming together. I need to finish the 1x1 frame for the propane/gas, the mounts, and quarter panel extensions. The PO used a 4Crawler type mount for the the bumper, however, he welded extensions to the u-channel while it was bolted into the frame making it impossible to remove. This meant I had to run out to get the oxy/acetylene tanks filled which cut my day short, but I should be able to finish it up next weekend.

A couple of progress pics:

edit - I can't get the sizing right, but you get the idea

030-1.jpg

028-1.jpg

0182.jpg

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Not yet. I got spooked and started cutting it up to reduce the weight. The past few weeks have been spent replacing the transfer case (bad seal on front output shaft), radiator & hoses, muffler, relocating things under the hood for the hot water system, and finishing touches on the sleeping platform. I also took a stab at repainting the fiberglass shell, but that didn't go so well. Hoping to work on the bumper this weekend.

Only pics: 1) replaced the chintzy Edgestar fridge handles and 2) added a sliding platform for the fridge (it got brown carpet, too, which you don't see in this pic). *EDIT - ADDED BETTER PICS OF FRIDGE SHELF*

2011-06-18_20-19-42_643.jpg

002.jpg

001-3.jpg

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Last edited:

Toyotero

Explorer
I also took a stab at repainting the fiberglass shell, but that didn't go so well.

What did you try and what went wrong?

I've thought that if I were to need to repaint mine, I'd give it a good 80 grit sanding, a tack cloth wipe down and some roll on bedliner.

ab1985

Explorer
I don't want to deter others from trying. I'm just not much for painting (auto, in home, anywhere). I just washed it, taped it off, then rattle canned it. Didn't turn out terrible, just needs another coat on the roof. The sides look much better than before. I'm sure roll on bedliner could be done well with out a ton of effort.

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Not really progress, but I have been searching for storage containers that fit the space under the sleeping platform. I built the height of the platform to match the back seat height when folded up (this supports the extension) which ended up being a quirky height for storage totes. Long story short, after several weeks of searching and several not-quite-perfect plastic containers I found a camp organizer duffel bag at a sporting goods store. It was only $30 and fits the bill perfectly for what I need. It holds quite a bit of kitchen, camping, and miscellaneous stuff. It has wheels and I can slide it all the way into the bin and still have room on the sides and front of the space for camping chairs, stove, sleeping bag, pillows, etc... I didn't want to build a drawer just yet, so I think this will work great for my upcoming trip.

bagclosed2.jpg

bagopen.jpg

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_176105_-1?N=903754860+933739032

ab1985

Explorer
Well, I have been slow with the updates lately. We had our family vacation a couple weeks back, and since then I have just been plugging away at my list trying to get things done for my trip to the San Juans (leaving one week from Saturday). I'll try to get more pictures this week, but I'll get everything up to date when I get back with better explanations.

Last week was a nightmare with little things going wrong (bumper bolt threads buggered, starting problems, TPS acting up, the list goes on). After re-tapping the front bumper threads I got the TG winch plate on. I modified the stock bumper for now due to time constraints just to get the winch on (need to mount solenoid box tomorrow night and wire). After changing my starter and ignition switch on Fri/Sat I figured out I had some bad wiring which was keeping the truck from starting. Luckily the guy at Auto Zone let me return the starter and ignition switch when I finally figured out what was wrong. And finally, my throttle is sticking at 1500 rpm's when I come to a stop from speed. This is a recurring problem that I think is the TPS. Will adjust and/or replace later this week.

With the rear bumper, I decided to try and reduce the weight. I ripped the 3x4 down to 3x2, and I am only going to run one MFC for now. I will notch out the 3x2 to sit down onto receiver tubing from 4Crawler-type frame mounts (tried to order these but lead time was too long so I built them). I'm moving the MFC to the passenger side next to the spindle, tire in the center, 5 lb propane on the passenger side. Framed out for a fold down table on the back side in the pic below. Should have this finished this weekend.

Sorry for the crappy pics and slow updates. Will get on this better up to date as soon as I can.

My helper:

2011-08-07_19-04-49_588.jpg

2011-08-07_19-06-43_704.jpg

coryc85

Your fab skills are awesome, that bumper is looking great. I ordered Roger's bumper brackets, but almost didn't because of the lead time. For whatever reason, I got them only like a week after ordering. About the idle problem from speed, you might want to check the dashpot if you haven't already. There is a little tophat on there that sometimes seemed to get cockeyed on mine and would hold the throttle open. I just took the little plunger screw out and voila.

ab1985

Explorer
"fab skills are awesome" <--- that's a riot :yikes: Thanks, though:sombrero:

I emailed Roger and he said 3 weeks, but in retrospect it was a good thing I didn't get them. My All Pro springs are mounted further back than the stock springs and the shackle would have hit Roger's mounts when flexed (I'll post some pictures tonight).

I'll take a look at the dashpot tonight. The TPS was giving me issues up until a few weeks ago when I had it adjusted. The issue resurfaced making me think it was the TPS so I went ahead and ordered one just in case. If I can keep from replacing and adjusting it that would be great.

Last edited:

ab1985

Explorer
Ok, here are some better pics of the progress on the rear bumper as well as one of the front winch plate. You'll notice one pic of the under side of the rear bumper with angle iron attached. I figured at 1/4" the main section would be ok when I had it cut, but it ended up bowing pretty badly. I bent it back, heated it up, and welded the angle to the bottom which got it to about 90%. There's still a little bow, but it will clamp down fine. The mounts aren't complete. My neighbor's son is on the baja team at UofL (ME major) and he was nice enough to tig the 1/4" extensions on for me, but I still need to add gussetts.

007.jpg

009.jpg

014.jpg

018.jpg

025.jpg

029.jpg

042.jpg

024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member