Project "Danger Ranger"

thethePete

Explorer
Nice truck. I can't say anything positive about wheel spacers though... Make sure you pull your wheels off monthly and retorque them. They will come loose regularly.

I'm interested to see how your front diff conversion works out. Make sure to post a report after you use it a bit. Also curious if it'll effect your mileage at all.

Throw a little weight in your bed and go bounce your truck around a bit. It'll help break in the rear springs and settle the rear end for you. I threw fresh packs with an AAL in the back of my truck and they've been riding better and better over the course of a few weeks of driving it. My height didn't change much, but I specc'd my springs pretty specifically.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Nice truck. I can't say anything positive about wheel spacers though... Make sure you pull your wheels off monthly and retorque them. They will come loose regularly.

I'm interested to see how your front diff conversion works out. Make sure to post a report after you use it a bit. Also curious if it'll effect your mileage at all.

Throw a little weight in your bed and go bounce your truck around a bit. It'll help break in the rear springs and settle the rear end for you. I threw fresh packs with an AAL in the back of my truck and they've been riding better and better over the course of a few weeks of driving it. My height didn't change much, but I specc'd my springs pretty specifically.

As far as the wheel spacers go, I've had no problems yet. Had them on since febuary and had no issues. Although I have had my wheels off since then, they were still up to torque. There are hub-centric wheel spacers after-all.
I'll post up after a while of having my front diff in, but I don't see any reason to have an issue in the future. There are no non factory (ford explorer 1995-1996) moving parts, except for my cable. As far as gas mileage is concerned, it shouldn't change, as ford rangers stock are live axle, had I not welded the diff, I would expect a little better gas mileage. The only minor inconvenience I've noticed when in 4x4 (really 3x4), is because my left side front wheel is my only power wheel until my front end is locked, I will pull right when in 4x4. No big deal.
I will see how my springs settle, than most likely adjust my shackle back up if it does indeed sag 1.5"

thanks for the interest!

Travelin _man

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!!
What a cool truck brother. Im a sucker for Rangers, Bronco II's and Explorers. Cant wait to see what else you have in store for this thing!

livetoride21

Adventurer
Any updates?

Been a pretty busy summer. Not much has been done on the truck, been traveling on my motorcycle, working on lots of other projects and motocrossing.
Finally got around to making my front bumper hoop today though!

And 90% done my drop down table for the swingout, will take some pictures tomrrow to show that off.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Looking good man

Love the build. Your metal fab skills are on point

Thank you for the compliments! I'm really having fun with the fab I've been able to start doing on my own things now that I have a proper work space. I'm really looking forward to getting an inert gas bottle for my MIG so I can start welding thinner stuff and working on sheet metal etc. Would also like to eventually get a TIG welder.
Hope to have some more to post up here soon!

Kevin

TheFutur

Adventurer
Stellar build. Wish I had more free time and money to make some bumpers for my ranger. Mines looking pretty similar to yours though minus the armor and plus a ladder rack. Hell even same rubber and size!

20160828_134403.jpg

Hopping to buy a front tube bumper off a fellow BC Ranger Club member in the new year as he needs to redesign one to fit around his new fiberglass fenders since he is going prerunner.

Rear bumper with tire swing out will be built one day...

livetoride21

Adventurer
Stellar build. Wish I had more free time and money to make some bumpers for my ranger. Mines looking pretty similar to yours though minus the armor and plus a ladder rack. Hell even same rubber and size!

View attachment 371775

Hopping to buy a front tube bumper off a fellow BC Ranger Club member in the new year as he needs to redesign one to fit around his new fiberglass fenders since he is going prerunner.

Rear bumper with tire swing out will be built one day...

Great looking truck! Any more pics? What awning are you using?

Kevin

livetoride21

Adventurer
Well finally got a chance to get some work done on the Ranger the past few days. Have put her on the backburner most of the summer because my main means of travel was my motorcycle

But now it's time to finally continue on my Ranger, did some maintenance work and freshened up the brakes all around but also pulled off the stock side steps and did some work underneath.
Decided to sand down the bottom few inches of my rockers as they had a little bit of surface rust starting to form and asphalt undercoat them.

Also started working on my rocker protection. Not going to call them rock sliders, because they really are not.

This is a daily driver, and I won't be hopping on and off of rocks, they will merely be there in case.
The original step bars were mounted very securely but unfortunately hung a little lower than I'd have liked, and were pretty thin (about 1/16" thick). So i decided instead of making true sliders mounted to the frame, I would instead modify the stock step bars with a more stout rock rail. (2"x2" 120 wall square tube)
The stock steps have proved themselves before, but were a bit dented up. I think these will suit my needs perfectly!
I'm debating whether or not I should add a hoop on the side of the rockers tilted up towards the rockers to avoid side impacts..
any thoughts??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan