Project "Danger Ranger"

livetoride21

Adventurer
Looking good my friend. Any interior ideas for her?

Thanks! And nope. The interior is currently stock, besides the addition of my CB radio and push/pull handle for my front locking differential. I don't really have any plans for upgrades in the interior other than a back-up camera, and some more weatherproof floor mats. There really is not much interior to play with in a single cab truck like this.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Finally had a change to play in the mud a little bit with the ranger, and take some pictures of outstanding items.
Got some pics of my rocker protection mountedl;
Wbe0Okv.jpg

jJoA8uZ.jpg

Kept it simple for now, just a 2x2 tube on each side. may add some outriggers in the future, but for now I like the look and function.

Finally took some pics of my flip down table. Still haven't had a chance to finish the supports for it, but for now a bungee cord does the trick.
s87u38H.jpg

ebGGY6W.jpg

YA6njYK.jpg

I also replaced my single locking cam latch with a double locking cam latch, the single locking would pop open when things got real bouncy. Luckily I always have a padlock on the swingout as a failsafe. The double locking as far as I'm concerned really is the only way to go, I wish I had just got it in the first place.
7AxZwAX.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------And for one final surprise----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found an awesome deal on a Superwinch LP8500 and picked it up the other night. Needs a bit of clean up and a new cable, but runs smooth, everything besides the cable is there, and now I will feel much better exploring alone!
QwQc5ag.jpg

d0x0vwg.jpg

lMfnEbM.jpg

Hoping to make the modifications that need to be made to my bumper and get her mounted up in the next week or so, can't wait!

OttawaXJ

Observer
Hey man, looks good.

I just read through your whole thread because I have a 97 Ranger I'm currently prepping for next year and I was trying to get some ideas from other builds. Mines in pretty rough shape but the ideas from yours was helpful.

If you ever want to try the Ottawa Valley Overland route(Roaming rally 2016 route) let me know. I live right near the base of it.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Hey man, looks good.

I just read through your whole thread because I have a 97 Ranger I'm currently prepping for next year and I was trying to get some ideas from other builds. Mines in pretty rough shape but the ideas from yours was helpful.

If you ever want to try the Ottawa Valley Overland route(Roaming rally 2016 route) let me know. I live right near the base of it.

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm always interested in checking out new offroad routes! They're few and far between around the Montreal area, I'd be game for a weekend trip to the ottawa area one day though for some offroading.

As far as your 97 ranger, as far as I'm concerned you have a very good suspension system up front to start with, only rivalled by a solid axle. I tried to find a 97 or older when I was looking for my truck, but couldn't find anything in good shape. The twin traction beam suspension has a ton of potential, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
If you have a decent welder, for very low $$ you can retain factory handling and get around 4" of lift safely, as well as A very very good amount of flex.

It's refered to as a Cut & Turn by most , and involves the relocation of the lower ball joint in some manner. (many do this different ways) once this is done, the trailing arms can be lengthened to correct caster and you're done.
Let me know if you have any ranger questions, I'm always willing to help out!

OttawaXJ

Observer
Thanks for the compliment!

I'm always interested in checking out new offroad routes! They're few and far between around the Montreal area, I'd be game for a weekend trip to the ottawa area one day though for some offroading.

As far as your 97 ranger, as far as I'm concerned you have a very good suspension system up front to start with, only rivalled by a solid axle. I tried to find a 97 or older when I was looking for my truck, but couldn't find anything in good shape. The twin traction beam suspension has a ton of potential, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
If you have a decent welder, for very low $$ you can retain factory handling and get around 4" of lift safely, as well as A very very good amount of flex.

It's refered to as a Cut & Turn by most , and involves the relocation of the lower ball joint in some manner. (many do this different ways) once this is done, the trailing arms can be lengthened to correct caster and you're done.
Let me know if you have any ranger questions, I'm always willing to help out!

Yeah I like it. It's currently 2wd though, it does me alright for what I do. Most of the routes I take are long distance, easier routes. I may need the occasional tug out of a jam but for the most part I just pick the right line and I'm fine.

I would like to upgrade to 4x4 soon. I actually found a 4x4 transmission for my 2.3 which is the hardest piece of the puzzle. When I do upgrade it'll be Dana 30 front, possibly coil overs using Jeep XJ radius arms.

In the mean time, 2wd is all I need.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Yeah I like it. It's currently 2wd though, it does me alright for what I do. Most of the routes I take are long distance, easier routes. I may need the occasional tug out of a jam but for the most part I just pick the right line and I'm fine.

I would like to upgrade to 4x4 soon. I actually found a 4x4 transmission for my 2.3 which is the hardest piece of the puzzle. When I do upgrade it'll be Dana 30 front, possibly coil overs using Jeep XJ radius arms.

In the mean time, 2wd is all I need.

I had a 93 2wd 2.3L ranger before and they're great little engines. I had basically the same thoughts as you, except planned to go D44 front. The Dana 30 jeep front end will do just fine with anything up to 32" tires, but will need some deep gearing for the 2.3. Back to the transmissions , the 4wd Lima bolt pattern transmissions are very rare indeed, good score! You can however put one together with the internals and 4wd end housing off of a 4L or 3L tranny, and the front housing off a 2.3L 2wd. Do you have a limited slip in the rear diff?

OttawaXJ

Observer
Yeah its the 3L transmission that you need, that was my original plan until I fell into this one. As far as the Dana 30 strength, I know people who have 35s on their Dana 30s, but they're also running XJs which are lighter. I don't plan on getting anything larger than 31s. Currently its 4:10 gears in a swapped in 8.8 28spline. Its open diff though. I'm hoping to get a lunchbox locker I think but it sees a lot of highway mileage towing a tent trailer. 50% of my trips and probably 50-60% of the miles on it are done in a tent trailer with my wife on asphalt so I'm on the fence about it.

The other option is doing a full carrier replacement worm gear based limited slip or detroit. it would be helpful when towing to have the extra traction.

livetoride21

Adventurer
Well, have got some work done in the past few days, cleaned up my winch and started sorting out mounting her on the truck. Unfortunately, things didn't go quite as planned....
Although the winch did in fact fit width-wise in between the frame rails, unfortunately it would not fit behind my current bumper configuration and would kill my approach angle if I were to mount it out of sight. I came the conclusion, the only way to have good usability and a decent look would be to mount the winch on top of my current bumper and modify it to suit. I originally just welded on a 1/4" 3" x 3" steel angle to the front but found it just looked tacked on and looked like an after thought.
So I've decided to completely reshape the front of my bumper, and reinforce my mounting points, as well as relocated my fog lights higher up.
Stay tuned!

Cardboard mocked up

Where I got to tonight

If you look closely, there is an access panel so I can get to the winch bolts. I thought about many different ways of achieving this, but figured this was the most elegant approach.

livetoride21

Adventurer
well, got a bit more done tonight. got a couple more pieces cut and welded in, hoping to have everything tacked and begin finish welding tomorrow night.
Than grind, and start reinforcing the mounting points in the bumper.
Plan do have everything back on by the weekend.

Thought about cutting out the original faceplate of the bumper, but decided for a few extra lbs It would give it even more rigidity

Last edited:

livetoride21

Adventurer
Well got a good amount of work done the past couple nights. And made a LOT of grinding dust.
Got the bumper all smoothed out, and the first coat of rubberised rocker guard on. Tomorrow second coat will go on, than Saturday she finally goes back on the truck and the winch wired up.
Looking forward to being done, have lots of other projects to complete!

livetoride21

Adventurer
Finally was able to get things finished up with my front bumper this weekend. Got the winch mounted, tow hooks on, fogs on, overall quite happy.
Unfortunately when I first bolted everything up, I really didn't like the mounting of my fog lights. Kind of looked like an alien, or possibly Dumbo.
This was the first iteration Saturday afternoon when everything was finally bolted on.
PB191334b_zpso5lwp7e7.jpg

PB191333b_zps5adcqq2d.jpg

PB191336b_zpsiddexusf.jpg

Then this morning, I made a bracket to bring the fog lights about 3" back and 3/4" down.
PB201340b_zpst0o47sbz.jpg

PB201342b_zpsfjj7lhgt.jpg

End product;
PB201343b_zpsprtsnvkz.jpg

PB201344b_zpsi91xnqzr.jpg

PB201345b_zpswznczero.jpg

PB201346b_zpsaajzuvha.jpg

Much more satisfied now!

livetoride21

Adventurer
Alright so it's been a little while, but I'm back! The ranger hasn't changed much in the past year.
Went back to the stock rear bumper as the tire carrier was getting in the way pretty often (will be working on a design with a quick release swing out to eliminate the issues with a full time tire carrier), swapped out the camper top for a roll tonneau cover and finally got myself a good set of winter tires (265/75 R16 studded Goodyear duratracs)!

In other news, this will be the end of project Danger Ranger unfortunately.
It's come time to move onto the next chapter, so with-out any further ado, I introduce you to project Danger Ranger 2.0.
2007 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Supercab .
I finally found myself a good deal on a last generation extended cab 4x4 Ford Ranger that is bone stock, with low miles (134000km) and can't wait to get started.

I bought the truck with the knowledge that the transfer-case would need to be replaced, heating didn't work properly, and some other minor issues here and there. One being the state of the interior, BRUTAL! (it's actually really just the seats that are in terrible shape, the rest will clean up nicely)\

This truck will follow the same general outline as the 2002, and will actually be stealing many parts off it as I prepare it for sale, but I will be adding some more creature comforts. Adding more lift, and yet again building bumpers. The plan is for a reliable, daily driveable, very capable, overlanding rig. I intend to swap the camper top for my roll tonneau cover, build a rack, and get myself a roof top tent for travels.
Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

livetoride21

Adventurer
I was a little delayed posting here, so here's what I've got done so far;
-Removed and replaced transfer-case with new used unit (if you ever replace a T-case in one of these trucks, MAKE SURE to buy yourself some swivel head gear wrenches. I spent over an hour taking one bolt out with a standard ratchet, bought a set of gear wrenches, and was able to reinstall in about a minute... Worth their weight in gold)

Transfer-Case removed

Old Transfer-case

New Transfer-Case

Installed

P1042124_zpslhbleptx.jpg

Cranked the Torsion Keys and installed lift shackles in the rear

Got about 2" of lift back and front (same way I lifted my 02 in the beginning)

Looks a little bit meaner now.

Up next;

- Clean interior and replace seats. (found seats from an 05 in much better shape, not perfect but will do the job nicely , pics to come)
- install Kenwood radio and kenwood speakers all around
- Body lift
- install tires from Danger Ranger
- build bumpers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior