Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
So a few weeks ago on the first trip to moab this year I couldn't get my darn trailer out of the 4 feet of snow here in Durango so I was forced to investigate other options.....

P1010055.jpg

My girl even snapped some video....I like the noise....last 30 seconds is the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY-gZqyj1zo

flexiheep

Thanks Dale, your steering system is what I was going after. Few questions if you have a minute. What was the length of the 2wd pitman arm? I'm wondering if I can find a shorter steering arm. Any ideas on what might make a good pitman arm that would give just a hair more drop. I would love to be able to use a straight drag link. Any idea what taper the dodge TREs are?

I think I need to paint my truck worse than yours!

I will have to get back to you on the arm length, I am in Woomera South Australia right now driving a diesel Yota Hilux for work (had a couple Sundays to explore the outback so far).... I would try to look for something with about 4 inches total drop, maybe a Wrangler or FSJ arm possibly....... Taper is the same on the Dodge TRE as the GM, I just used a standard reamer from one of the 4x4 shops to enlarge the holes. My guess is that the threaded length is the difference between the GM and Dodge TRE.

I would plan to box the frame on your Dodge and sleeve it with the 39s you have, I will find a link to the Build of NACHO over in Col Springs (they guy I got my cab from, and where your doors came from) he did a real nice job with it.

Nacho build
It is a long thread that goes through several levels, I think the steering was around page 20 maybe.
That is also a 2wd borgeson shaft on my truck like your looking at, it really is a bolt on in the 2wd position.

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
Is the borgesen shaft aftermarket or was that a 2wd part? I keep hearing about it but I can't find any info on it. My steering is a bit loose.

I think all of us dodge guys need to paint our trucks.:snorkel:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its an aftermarket replacement steering shaft. KLM has the best price I have found. I like the one that keeps the rag joint for vibration isolation, but they make a double joint unit too.

Check your steering box mount.....they like the crack.

flexiheep

2wd pitman arm length

Brennan,
I just measured, my 2wd pitman arm is 6" center-line to center-line. The high steer arm I have had holes at 5" and 7.5", so I added one at 6" to match the pitman arm.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the measurement. I guess a 76-79 F150 stock power steering pitman arm is suppose to work pretty well too. I wish all this snow would melt so I could get to the junkyard! I welded up the steering bracket and it seems to be holding for now. I'm looking around for a D60 steering arm that has a hole at 6".

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I finally got around to working on the dodge a bit....or rather playing.....

I finally cracked open the injector pump and played with it a bit. I took the AFC apart and rotated the fuel pin after cleaning and marking everything. I did a 45 degree clockwise turn on the fuel pin. From what I could tell about 110-120 degrees from 'stock' clockwise would be the maximum depth on the fuel pin. It wasn't a 1000hp modification but it did make a pretty noticeable difference in power. I also made sure that the pin on the top of the AFC that controls pre-boost fueling was also in a good position to not allow too much fuel off-idle. I didn't mess with the star wheel yet as I only get a puff of dark haze now. It took maybe 15 minutes in work to make the modification, though I spent a good deal of time cleaning and looking at stuff.....

While I was playing with the pump I decided to relocate the throttle linkage to the top hole in the throttle arm. This makes the throttle MUCH more responsive. Personally I also think it helped with how the turbo spools up. I think its because the motor is being fueled a little harder than with the normal long travel system. It sure makes the truck much more fun to drive and a lot more responsive.

A little big ago I also modified the stock air cleaner housing into an open element system. This worked a lot better than the stock air box with my sectioned front fenders. It still uses the stock air filter. I made a little bracket that attaches to the fender with some stainless steel bolts that holds the air filter element with a LARGE hose clamp. It was simple and free. I didn't feel much of a power difference, but I can hear the turbo a little more now. I also think the turbo spools a touch sooner. I'm still running the stock lag-master housing on the turbo AND I live at 7000ft so any little bit helps.

Attachments

• throttlelinkage.jpg
    throttlelinkage.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 118
  • aircleaner.jpg
    aircleaner.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 108

lstzephyr

wanderer
Good stuff. I did that to my truck a few months ago as well. Its not earth shattering but makes a good difference. Its cool how quick the power comes in with the new settings eh?

Might want to look for a 366 spring. Its like 15 dollars or something retarded cheap. Supposed to make the truck rev out a bit more. I've got one ready to go in my truck next week.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The governor spring is on my list, not so much for the extra RPM, but to help with the gradual de-fueling of the motor as it approaches the governor speed.

It is nice to have a little more pep in the truck.

flexiheep

I like the filter holder, I did mine and just hung a piece of nylon webbing in that area that the filter rests on. I still need to put in my 366 spring, I have had it on the bench for almost 2 years now :Wow1:. I seem to have one of the weak pumps, mine starts to defuel about 2100 rpm, where others get 2500 or more before defuel. I really need to finish working with my pump, the 366 spring, I want to advance the timing, and lower the idle (I screwed in the fuel screw, and it raised the idle to about 900).

I have to say I really like the look of the truck with the michelins and the fender work (calling it trimming seems so inadequate). I wanted to do a little trimming and run the 9.00/16 size for a couple years.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I hope this summer I can get the body straitened out enough to put some paint on it. It doesn't need to be perfect, but decent and one color would be nice! I think I will be able to get the fender mods covered up pretty good :) Then people will have a really hard time figuring out what is going on.

I really like the fender mods and michelins too. I am going to be pretty sad when they finally wear out. I will get another year out of them but then they are going to be pretty worn out. I just hit the wear bars on two of them. I need to get a grooving iron and cut the bars out.
I don't know what I will replace them with? I would love to find another set and run them on some 9" wide wheels. These Michelins are getting pretty rare it seems. Its a bummer, they are a GREAT tire for these big heavy trucks. If I can't find another set I will have to go to something more normal. I think I could run 40s, but some 37s might be a better option? I wish they made more 38-39" radial tires that where about 13" wide. I think the 14.5s would be a little too wide?

I hope to build a simple front bumper this week, we will see :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman