Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I started on a simple front bumper the other day. I will have some pics up soon. Its just a free scrap bumper with stuff from work. Its basically just a 2x4 box tubing front bumper, but I ended up cutting through 3-sides every 3" and bowing the material so it follows the large radius at the lower edge of the grill. It ended up pretty neat so far, I have no idea how I got it so close in radius. I was literally standing on the tubing with it supported between and old wheel and a railroad tie trying to weld up the cuts once the radius looked close!

I'm designing this bumper to use a separate winch mount I can add in the future.

The bumper is tucked WAY up in front!

I'll try and get a pic or two tonight.....I have a LOT of grinding ahead of me!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Here are the first rough pictures of the front bumper. Its just 2x4 box that is 'bent' to roll around the lower edge of the grill shell. I was able to grind the top surface of the bumper pretty smooth last night....2 more sides to go. Then I need to trim the ends and cap them. I am going to try and angle cut the ends a bit to give it a little better fit on the truck. I will be using the old bumper brackets and cutting them down and plating them. There will be a 3/8" spacer under those brackets to allow me to have a bolt in winch mount in the future. Its been annoying me lately to have no from bumper so I thought I would throw something together out of free scrap material from my work. I think I will add two front recovery points into the winch mount...or maybe build them separate for now and into the winch mount later.

By tucking the bumper up so high I think I can install the winch below the bumper and back against the first frame cross member.

Its surprising how much I like this truck. Its just so bone simple and reliable, I'm really happy that I didn't get too crazy with the suspension. Its basically at a level stock height right now, it still daily drives great and does anything else I ask it to.

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 174

Scott39

Adventurer
Here are the first rough pictures of the front bumper. Its just 2x4 box that is 'bent' to roll around the lower edge of the grill shell. I was able to grind the top surface of the bumper pretty smooth last night....2 more sides to go. Then I need to trim the ends and cap them. I am going to try and angle cut the ends a bit to give it a little better fit on the truck. I will be using the old bumper brackets and cutting them down and plating them. There will be a 3/8" spacer under those brackets to allow me to have a bolt in winch mount in the future. Its been annoying me lately to have no from bumper so I thought I would throw something together out of free scrap material from my work. I think I will add two front recovery points into the winch mount...or maybe build them separate for now and into the winch mount later.

By tucking the bumper up so high I think I can install the winch below the bumper and back against the first frame cross member.

Its surprising how much I like this truck. Its just so bone simple and reliable, I'm really happy that I didn't get too crazy with the suspension. Its basically at a level stock height right now, it still daily drives great and does anything else I ask it to.

I can't wait to see the bumper done, I'm still getting ideas for my home made front and rear bumper's for my 95' Dodge, These trucks are simple, and reliable for sure, (my front suspension is not as simple as yours, but not bad),
thats my I love my truck also. I got 23 mpg the other day driving in the mtn's, just incredible.

flexiheep

Good job following the curve on the front, some day I might actually build my bumpers, had the design in my head for 7 years or so.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It was nice after work so I worked on the bumper some more. I got it ground down, welded to the old bumper brackets, and trimmed the ends down. Sorry I didn't get some better pictures, but it was getting late. The ends are double tapered and look pretty cool in person. They follow the edge angles of the grill pretty well. The ends will be capped with some plate, I just need to make a template and cut them out. The stock bumper brackets are also going to be cut down. I ran out of daylight today. I will just cut them down with the torch at work, that will take like 5 minutes. I also added the 3/8" spacers between the frame and bumper brackets before I welded it up. This way I have room to slide the future winch mount and/or shackle mounts in-between the frame and bumper bracket.

I also stopped by the hardware store and picked up some replacement screws for the AFC housing on the fuel injection pump. The stock flathead bolts where a pain the the but. I got some nice stainless metric button head replacements. I swapped them in the parking lot :)

Attachments

• IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 169

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I finished up the front bumper for now. Its deceptively simple. In most pictures it looks just like a 2x4 box tubing bumper. In real life the bumper has double taper cut and capped ends along with a large radius to follow the lower edge of the grill shell. I'm pretty happy with it for the $10 I have in it...primer and paint cost. I threw on some black satin paint for now, but I might change it after I paint the rest of the truck.

I need to fab up some tow tabs that will go between the bumper mounts and the frame. I am also trying to figure out what I want to do for a winch mount......

It does feel good to be building stuff for the truck again.....

Attachments

• IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 411

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Earlier in your thread you were commenting on your tires.

I found a website that is selling the 38" xml.

have you checked wartires.com?

just a fyi

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you for that link. They look to be a little low in stock, but they list 90% tires in stock. Price isn't bad, shipping is a little steep however. I do like these tires, but they do wear faster than I thought they would. If I was to install another set I would think about using a wider (9-10") wheel.

mopowa

I like it! Simple and effective!

It will look REAL mean once you get a winch mounted up in there as well:sombrero:

Keep up the awesome work! Can't wait to see it once you finish up the body work. Hehe, good luck with that by the way :D

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
yeah, the body work is a long road ahead. I've done some of it in the past, but I am no expert. I'm pretty sure I am just going to paint the truck in something like a 'pepsi' blue. The factory color was pretty close to this. By staying with the same kinda of blue for the main color I don't have to worry about painting the interior of the cab, firewall, or underside of the hood. This makes this a little easier for me. Its not like I don't have enough to do on the body as is.....

I'm still playing around with ideas for the winch mount. I really want to tuck the winch back and up out of the way. I think the best way to do this may be to remake the front cross member on the frame. It wouldn't be easy though. I think most of the front sheet metal would have to come off the truck to cut the rivets on the factory part, then replace it with a welded unit that could be bolted in its place. If someone close to southwest Colorado has a parts truck or a bare frame sitting around I would love to come measure it. If I can get an accurate model of the front frame section modeled I should be able to have all the parts cut on an CNC plasma/waterjet/laser. Then the parts could be assembled and welded ahead of time. That way the install would only take a few hours instead of a week or two. Just thinking out loud. I'm pretty sure if the winch was mounted in this location it could fit behind a stock bumper also. I don't know why, but I really like the hidden winch concept. I think there is room for just about any winch that doesn't have an permanently attached solenoid package. I'm planning on using something affordable like the Smittybilt 10K comp winch that comes with synthetic line and an aluminum hawse. Its not the ultimate, but for my uses I think it will be just fine.

Mopowa,

Go finish putting together your truck so I have some more inspiration!

mopowa

Working on it!

I'm giving myself a deadline of July 1st. Should give me plenty of time to get all the parts ordered, search around some junk yards for parts, find a hoist and get everything back in driving order:coffeedrink:
When it happens, it will all happen at once....sooo in the mean time, lets see yea use some of the inspiration i've given you so far and get to work on your body and paint! Blue should look real sharp on your truck!

Your idea for the "hidden" winch sounds very complicated... I LIKE IT!!! If it turns out well, I may just copy it:D

Cheers

mopowa

I just remembered that the previous owner of your truck bedlined the entire body didn't they?:Wow1: ....I can see why you've been putting it off for so long! I bet a media blaster would take that right off.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've got some good free time coming up over the holiday with the S.O. going on vacation to see her sister. I don't know a lot about body work...so I am going to learn as I go for the most part. I'm going to start on the drivers fender....I think its the worst panel on the truck.

Yup, the previous owner tried to bedliner on the truck. It didn't stick that well, but what did stick is a pain to get off. A wire brush on the grinder seems to work the best so far.

The winch mount shouldn't be too bad once I get the measurements. It will not be a simple bolt-on though. You will have to remove the front cross member on the frame and replace it. I think this means you have to cut out about 8 heavy rivets. The new cross
member would just slide in and be bolted in the same 8 places....most likely with a few more like the 6 bumper mount holes.

First thing up this weekend is a valve adjustment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan