Project: Doitall Dodge

lstzephyr

wanderer
I will be very interested to see how you like them. At some point I will be stepping up from my 32s, if for no other reason than gearing.

I'm surprised your old tires wore out as quickly as they did. I have almost the same amount of time on my front tires and they are still about half tread.

How is the paint coming along?

I agree with you that something about 3/4 size of the truck would be nice. Its just slightly too much most of the time. I really like the idea of this jeep.

IMAG0010.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
They don't really make the right size and weight capacity. Cost is also a big issue with KM2s, once you get to the 37+" range they start to get VERY expensive. I would also have to change rim sizes for sure which is an added expense.

With the super large fender openings I have now I really need something 38-39" tall with a higher D range load capacity.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
$359 each......OOOOOuuuuuccccchhhhh.

I swear I am going to need a few stiff shots before I order 4 of those. While it doesn't double the value of the truck. Its in that ballpark!

For a large, radial, 16" rim, 4000lb load rating, it was the least expensive option. Since I don't have to buy rims it works out cheaper than most. Once you get in the 37"+ range it seems tire weight capacity really drops off. The maddog radials are rated at 4000lbs at 65psi. This should give me plenty of capacity for whatever stupid things I come up with to do.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
zephyr,

Paint is going ok. I got the cowl painted the other weekend. I ordered my door gasket set and wing window gaskets the other day. The misses is out of town for 10 days so I have both cars. That will let me pull the doors off the truck and not drive it for a week.
Hopefully that will let me get this thing painted!

It should look ok all one color with some new shoes :)

I will have to give it a treat and order a new grill shell, mine is hammered!

SChandler

Adventurer
I, like many others here, am looking forward to seeing the truck in one color.:elkgrin: I'll be interested to here what your thoughts are on the Maddog's. Looking at pictures of them, they feel like a large version of a Toyo M55 or Goodyear Duratrac. I expect they will be a good all-around performer. Plus, with a 4000lb per tire load rating, you can get one of those big slide in campers and be set for luxury camping.:D

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It will be an interesting comparison for sure. The maddogs are something like 20-30lbs per corner lighter. I am gonna have a rocket ship! :)

I will be looking forward to having a full size spare....well not really. That thing is going to be big, heavy, hard to store, and hard to get into and out of the back of the truck. Driving around without a spare probably isn't the best idea either.....

I need some ideas on how and where to mount a set of 6.5" separates that doesn't involve cutting the doors up. My doors are 1985 doors so they don't have door mounted speakers stock. I'm thinking kick panels of some kind. I kinda want to try to make some fiberglass kick panels. With the e-brake there isn't a lot of room on the drivers side. I have thought about eliminating the fresh air vent on the drivers side and just making a mount for the speaker in that hole with a back on it or something. Then on the passenger side just make a small kick panel to bring the speaker out past the body a bit? Don't really know.......

The camper shell is still going to be a slightly darker and metallic gray....the 'truck' is all going to be one color :D

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I thought about those, I want a set for my Willys project :) With them being so wide I think I would have to buy wheels, my 8" wheels just are not wide enough. They are also a fairly light load range C tire.....
Thank you for the suggestion on something.

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
what about the 37" Humvee tires? I know you don't want to buy rims but the tires can be had for $100. per tire with 90% tread.

IIRC they are load range "D" with a 3850# capacity per tire and were rated for 70mph

heres a link for 15 of them with 70% tread for $600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-M...3d54QQ_trksidZp3284Q2em263QQitemZ120662520913

here is a link "above my head" for snow performance done by the army core of engineers

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...6PWjBw&usg=AFQjCNF0-i2x2Ne6_iJjmgVm3ax82TeD7Q

yes I suck at links..

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Your not the first person to recommend those. After seeing them in person on Teleturn's dodge a few weeks ago I just gotta say pass. They where about 1-2" shorter than the worn out Michelin's even at 40psi vs 25-30psi. The H1 tires just aren't big enough for me really.....

The 2nd problem is wheels. I do like the idea of double beadlock rims. I'm not too excited about running spacers or recentering H1 wheels.

I'm just being picky.

So far its still pitbulls next week or so.....

I stripped the doors down today to get ready for paint. Anyone have any idea how the window comes out? I have everything else out, but the window is FIRMLY attached to the channel on the window regulator.

I will start sanding on them tomorrow.....fun fun.

I also picked up some stuff for some sawhorses. I'm going to pull the doors to paint them....hopefully less overspray and stuff.

I'm half excited about having the truck one color....but boy oh boy I am burned out on body work and paint.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Ok......I'm getting tired of sanding and painting......

IMAG0029.jpg

I'm still waiting on my new door seal and window channel kit. The vent window gaskets showed up yesterday.

My gauges from Autometer ( thanks Cuz ) are on there way too. I got an EGT gauge, electric fuel pressure, and 0-60psi boost gauge. I had an idea the other day to make a gauge mount that fit over the existing 'information' cluster on the dash. Maybe make some indicators in the new gauge mount...some simple lights with a harness? Maybe I could just push that information system back in the dash? Don't know.....

I'm also painting the interior plastic/vinyl/dash back to dark grey like it was factory.....

My funds showed up for tires yesterday......last chance to try and talk me out of the Pitbull Maddog Radials.

teleturns

Adventurer
My funds showed up for tires yesterday......last chance to try and talk me out of the Pitbull Maddog Radials.

I say go with the Maddogs. I bet they will be so smooth compared to your XMLs and will look great! If I could do it all over again I would have just got some 16" wheels and gone with the Trxus M/T in the 37" flavor.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thats the plan. The maddogs should be like a caddy compared to the XML's. They are also like 30lbs lighter per corner! I'm going to keep the best XML for a spare tire I think.
I found a local shop that can balance the new tires too, that should help a little bit. I was pretty happy with the 3 seasons I got out of the used XML's but I think a new set of tires will be SOOOO much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan