Project: Doitall Dodge

sdwhip

Observer
It's lookin good. It looks like a navy ship in all that grey and four years ago I never wanted to see that color again. I think some black on the body would do it some good and the new wheels and tires will really set it off. I've been watching this thread since about the time you started it but have never posted. Good work I'm lookin forward to the more completed pics.

colodak

Adventurer
I jus tstumbled across this buildup, I'll make a suggestion you'll love at night. I used to have an '81 Ramcharger and I did it on that. Find some Hella H4 headlights, these are a direct replacement for your sealed beams, they have a Euro-spec beam pattern, however you can replace the bulbs in them instead of the entire assembly, and go with bulbs ranging from: normal 55w low beams upto 110w low beams. I used to run 110w/150w bulbs in mine. If you go with the really brigh bulbs you'll have to play with your wiring some to get the full advantage of them, but at night they are worth it.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Truck is looking great. I am one of those silent observers, but I've been following this thread. That generation of Dodge is really the coolest full size truck. The big tires actually look right, instead of just cool, if you follow my drift.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

The big tires make it work right too. The larger tire lets the 7000lb truck float in the sand and gives it enough clearance under the axles so the large center sections on the axles are not always hanging up. The key is getting the larger tires to fit without having to lift the truck, then most of the drive-ability of the stock truck remains. I still get a lot of double takes and head scratching about the truck. It sits LOWER than most new trucks but is running a 38"+ tire. The bed rail and tailgate heights are still very manageable. Getting in the truck isn't too bad either, I will admit these trucks have higher door jams and a 'shorter' cab than most of the newer trucks. I will try and get a picture or two next to a 3rd gen dodge or something....

my1stcummins

Adventurer
It really is a fantastic looking rig. Any plans to build a rear bumper? I've been toying with the idea of a new bumper that has shackles and cutouts or loops on the corners for using the bumper as a better step when the tailgate is down.

Also, adding backup lights makes a huge difference, especially with a canopy. I found some great hella tractor lights on amazon.com for around $10ea.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you!

I have some plans for a new rear bumper. It just isn't at the top of the list yet. I have been toying with building it to house a rear mounted winch. That idea then has started to evolve into having a rear mounted winch be able to pull front AND back without having to have a multi-mount ( something like the Foers Ibex Vector winch system )

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I would love something like that, but there are definitely some design challenges while trying to build a system like that into my Dodge chassis.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Oh don't worry, I don't usually take the easy way out too often....stupid sectioned fenders for 38" tires with no lift!

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I think with the black rims it would look good with the lower 1/4 body line painted black (rockers)....then the blister on the hood.

you might have to start locking it up thou..:sombrero:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I'm gonna do some photo shopping of the truck to see what to do with the colors. I was thinking instead of painting the lower part of the body....maybe a long vinyl sticker or something? Maybe a monochrome background scene or design? The vinyl would also help protect the lower part of the body....

I do lock it....for other reasons :)

The truck is all assembled and driving again. I still need to get a new grill shell and some other bits to finish off the front. I have one little part of sheetmetal to paint under the grill area, but that will have to wait till I put the new grill shell on. I also need to weld the tow points to the bumper mounts in front and repaint the entire front bumper black again ( I got a little overspray on it...ok....a lot! )

Its starting to look like a respectable truck now I think. Hopefully I get my tires and wheel in soon ( and do the grill ) so I can do a little photo spread over the 4th of July or something....

SChandler

Adventurer
Sounds like you are making some good progress and nearing the finish of the tedious stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product. :elkgrin:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It doesn't seem like it sometimes! Having the truck body ( camper shell excluded ) all the same color is a big milestone. I will probably tinker with the truck forever, but this was probably the biggest single mod on the truck. After stretching/sectioning the fenders getting the entire truck the same color took a long time. If I was going to do it again ( on a 1st gen ) I would probably use a factory dually bed with the fenders removed in the rear. This leaves a HUGE opening for the tire. In front I would try and use a set of the Trailer Products 'Walker Evans" style fiberglass fenders. The front fenders would still need an support structure and inner fender made.

All in all, if I was going to do another truck it would just be a 3rd gen Dodge. 37s will fit on those with just a touch of lift and moving the axles a hair.....ZERO body work.

This old girl is pretty neat though. Its just so simple, mechanical, etc. Its also a total one off now with the stretched/sectioned fenders. Wtih the new tires and wheels it should look pretty decent....in a mad max kinda way.

Now I can start to work on the smaller stuff.....new seats, stereo, interior, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears