Project: Doitall Dodge

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have used grease to seal tires, but they can become glued on. Quite a bit harder to break the bead after that.

teleturns

Adventurer
I ran the black bead sealant for years on all my rims. I had pretty good luck and VERY minimal bead problems.

I have also used the black bead sealant for years with great results. I would think the bead sealant would work better than weather stripping.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The 3m weatherstrip adhesive is a lot stickier than the black bead sealant. I don't know if its worth it though.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Holy tires batman!

I bolted up the tires after work today. The old ones where done! I got one out of four that will make a good spare. If anyone needs a big spare or needs 3 Michelin XMLs and some spare 16x8 aluminum wheels let me know.

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

I did a simple alignment check and was able to dial in the toe a little better. Overall its pretty decent. I have some new kingpin parts coming and will be doing a little work to make the front axle a little less like it has 300,000+ miles on it.

The old tires where 132lbs ( the one with the most tread )
The new tires and wheels where 127 lbs, so not much change there. The steel wheels where pretty dang heavy.

After putting the old tires back in the bed I am doubting my full size spare plan. These tires are BIG!

Here is what the truck looks like with the new tires and wheels. Please excuse the not perfectly straight body and torn up grille shell ( new grill shell coming! )

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

The new tires are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the old ones! They are quieter, track better, have better steering response, the steering is lighter overall, and they are freaking cool looking! They are about 2" taller than the michelins! They are basically a true 39" tire! I just ran out and measured. On the front of the truck at 45psi they are just a hair over 38" tall!

I'm running 45psi in them, so far so good. They still ride very decent at that pressure. They sure roll a lot easier than the XML's. I'm able to roll the truck back and forth in the driveway pretty easy buy just using the lugs on the tires.

I didn't balance them yet. I ran two on the balancing machine when I got them mounted. The machine called for 14oz each! I didn't want clip on weights on the rim edge and I didn't want THAT many stick on weights. I decided to try them unbalanced. So far, up to 70mph, I have no shake or shimmy. The truck will track straight with hands off the wheels. I may add some ceramic tire balancing beads if they develop a shake. So far so good....WAY better than the worn out XML's.

I will keep updating on the tires as I get more miles on them!

SChandler

Adventurer
Looks good Metcalf!:luxhello: If I didn't know any better, looking at the pictures, I'd think the truck had 35" tires. It looks very proportionate now (at least, it does in the photos in your last post).

I really wish they made the radial Maddog's in a 35" size, I'd be looking to get a set for my truck when I get ready to go to that size in a year.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

Its deceptive how 'stock' the truck looks. The big fender opening and the big tires along with no lift are a golden combo. I have tons of clearance under the diffs and the truck isn't sitting up so high you can't get in. The wind resistance, for a brick, is also minimized since the suspension is stock.

I need to get some pictures with the misses standing next to it. That gives it some sense of scale.

Bottom line the truck is only maybe 1-2" taller than a stock 3rd gen dodge. I will try to get some picks next to my co-workers. Its on 285s and I think my truck isn't any bigger at all.

bftank

Explorer
new tires look great metcalf! i am working towards the same idea on my f350. going to try the goodyear 37's on h1's with just moving the axle forward an inch. thanks for the inspiration.

i may not post in your thread much, but i have watched with approval since i registered

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
So the snowball is rolling and the gears are turning......

Swap to 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

Swap in a 6spd? ZF6, G56, or NV5600?

Current G360 gear ratios....
5.53, 3.017, 1.60, 1.0, .77

NV5600
5.63, 3.38, 2.04, 1.39, .73
G56, AD code
6.29, 3.48, 2.10, 1.38, 1.0, .79
G56, AE code
594, 3.28, 1.98, 1.31, 1.0, .74
ZF6 ( ford and GM )
5.79, 3.30, 2.10, 1.31, 1.0, 72

I need some opinions....

gahi

Adventurer
OH Crap! Here come the while-your-in-there's! ARB's, HiPo Clutch... What's your top end speed like now? How fast do you want to be able to run on the Highway?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Currently the truck will go 75-80 in 5th no problem. That is only about 2000rpm.

I don't want to gear the truck too low. I like to be able to run the interstate at speed. Basically the truck currently needs a 1.5 gear to start in, a 3.5 gear would be nice, and a 4.5 gear wouldn't be a bad idea either....but the existing 1-5 are still pretty useful in there own right, the gaps are just too big.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Truck looks awesome! We should have gotten some pictures with my truck next to it for scale the other day. I had all my camera equipment and never even thought about it. It was nice to meet you and thanks again for the hospitality!

Dude, do the 3200 spring already!! There is your .5 gears. It took my truck from too much gap to no problem what so ever. I even like the low 1st gear now too.

zukrider

Explorer
zf6, with the 3.73. should be real good. get you better across the board, and the taller OD will help to compensate.

im jealous!

gahi

Adventurer
yup, I'd gear for your targeted top cruising speed. Your going to be into it some serious $$$ when you start swapping gears and transmissions. I guess I dont really know how it drives though, cuz I have the slushy auto. I think it has .6? overdrive, but a nonlocking TC so I'm always loosing a little to that too.

bftank

Explorer
no build thread on the ford yet. gathering pieces for a bumper and then we will see.

for trannies i vote none of the above. it's time to step up to the fuller fso6406 6 speed with od and 14" clutch. and a divorced dodge 205.

that is the tranny i am looking for to put behind my cummins, not sure what the cummins is going in yet though.

and i second doing the 3200# spring, it's cheap and something that needs done anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle