Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A little more progress Sunday...

IMAG0128.jpg

Add some fiberglass. I did two layers of glass and I think that will be enough for this application....

IMAG0129.jpg

Then I started cutting out the hole for the speaker. 12V cordless Dremel to the rescue.....

I got a little farther than shown in the pictures. I thought I snapped a few of the finished hole but I guess I will have to take another. I was in town for dinner and was going to pick up some spray on undercoating to cover the panel in but the store was closed. I will pick some up after work tonight.

dd76522

tanks for the assesment, i'll definetly keep the maddogs in mind, seriously doubt i'll be able to lay hands on a dually bed around here, junkyards are not on every corner and i haven't seen any in my local travels,
quick edit allready, i found them, based on the website they don't seem like a huge company but the fenders are kinda sexy;)

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
tanks for the assesment, i'll definetly keep the maddogs in mind, seriously doubt i'll be able to lay hands on a dually bed around here, junkyards are not on every corner and i haven't seen any in my local travels,
quick edit allready, i found them, based on the website they don't seem like a huge company but the fenders are kinda sexy;)

Here they are on a truck....a nice truck!

1108or-15+1975-dodge-w100-mighty-mopar+front-right-angle.jpg

Article here...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1108or_1975_dodge_w100_mighty_mopar/index.html

lstzephyr

wanderer
How thick are you planning on making those speaker boxes? Did you get your winch project finished out yet? I need to copy that and your cross over steering sometime.

That truck is ************! I like it, a lot. That is more or less what I have envisioned for awhile, although with a usable bed. I really want to set my truck up with the old style fenders/grill, and cut then bed down to a short bed but keeping the long wheelbase. It would be almost perfect for what I do. Besides how cool is this?

1108or-01+1975-dodge-w100-mighty-mopar+front-angle.jpg

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How thick are you planning on making those speaker boxes? Did you get your winch project finished out yet? I need to copy that and your cross over steering sometime.

That truck is ************! I like it, a lot. That is more or less what I have envisioned for awhile, although with a usable bed. I really want to set my truck up with the old style fenders/grill, and cut then bed down to a short bed but keeping the long wheelbase. It would be almost perfect for what I do. Besides how cool is this?

1108or-01+1975-dodge-w100-mighty-mopar+front-angle.jpg

Which speaker boxes? The kick panel pods for the separates are wood, fabric, fiberglass, and then undercoating to make them match the vinyl floor.

The winch project is still in the works.

I am moving over the next week or two to a new place with a SHOP!!!! No more driveway fab for me.....

Copy away! With your skyjacker springs you should be able to get away with a slightly less tall steering arm if you can find a 6.0" center to center. All the other parts are available off the shelf in some form.

I did finally dream up a way to do the exhaust outside the frame. That will need to happen before I can do the winch project. When I do the new 4" exhaust I need to bolt on the new turbo also. That should be very very fun!

lstzephyr

wanderer
I am moving over the next week or two to a new place with a SHOP!!!! No more driveway fab for me.....

I did finally dream up a way to do the exhaust outside the frame. That will need to happen before I can do the winch project. When I do the new 4" exhaust I need to bolt on the new turbo also. That should be very very fun!

Congrats again on the new place!

Hood stack?:elkgrin:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I finished the speaker kick panel pods last night....

IMAG0154-1.jpg

IMAG0155-1.jpg

I still need to bend up some small guards for the crossover boxes for a little added insurance against a stray boot. The emergency brake still works too. I should probably bend the pedal over a little bit, but it works just fine.

There is also a small amp and a 12" sub sitting in the garage that need to go in now. The amp can be mounted under the seat no problem. I took the easy way out and ordered a $33 shallow mount subwoofer box for behind the seat.

It's nice to have decent tunes. Even with the 6.5 separates just running of the cheapy head unit it sounds very decent. The new speaker location is GREAT. I can only imagine how good its going to sound with the small amp and a sub. The amp has a built in hi-low crossover so that should help keep the front speakers from working harder trying to produce full range.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thank you!

While its never going to be 'done' its going to slow down a bit I think now that I have started working on my old 1942 Willys MB. The rebuild on that should end up being pretty neat. I don't have to drive that one every day, so it will be getting a much more involved build....including a scratch built frame. Check out the build in the Jeep section.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/58343-Rango.....1942-Willys-MB

Now that I have a shop and am acquiring more tools at home, the Dodge build could move along faster for all I know...

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The Doitall has been earning its keep lately....

IMAG0199.jpg

600lb+ 4'x8' welding table with a 3/8" thick top I picked up used in Grand Junction. I also had to pick up an engine hoist at Harbor Freight to load the table while I was in town. I had to return my loaner hoist so now I have my own again.

The hoist is probably another 200lbs? I had to assemble the hoist in a gas station parking lot before I went to pick up the table.

The old truck did great. 20.7 mpg on the way up and 20.2 mpg on the return trip ( and driving to work for a few days ). I took the LOOOONNNGGGG way back from Grand Junction on hwy 141 that dumps back into Dove Creek, Colorado before heading back home. Note: There is VERY limited services along that road, its probably the most remote corner of Colorado I have seen yet!

On the way up I went up Hwy 550 from Durango over coal bank pass, into Silverton, then over red mountain pass into Ouray, to Ridgeway, to Montrose, and finally Grand Junction. Red mountain pass had a few inches of snow and it was rainy driving down the switch backs into Ouray. It was the Jeep Jamboree weekend so town and the highway was pretty dang busy!

bftank

Explorer
nice find! i have been thinking about making a welding table and hadn't thought of checking craigslist for one. i will have to keep that in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan