Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The 14-bolt is a good option for the 1st gen Cummins in my opinion.

-The ring gear is still 10.5" between the two, but the 14-bolt adds a 3rd pinion bearing similar to a ford 9". This makes it VERY strong for its size.
-Your general 14-bolt is 67" wide vs the 65" wide D70 in the 1st gen Cummins. This is a near perfect match for the 67.5" wide D60 front
-Both are 8 on 6.5 lug pattern so you get to keep your existing wheels.
-The late model 14-bolts from about 2003 have factory disc brakes with a hat style parking brake.

All in all I think they are just about the perfect axle for a 1st gen Cummins chassis.
If I could get some time away from my Willys project I might swap one in some day......

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The late model axles are all AAM, like the newer Dodge offerings. I've seen a local Dodge sled puller with a Dana 110 rear axle.

http://www.aam.com/Company-Overview/2001-Present-90.html

Nope. Some 6.0L GM 2500HD trucks had the last of the GM 14-bolt axles ( full float and disc brakes ).....around 2003. I am not sure of the exact year range. These where axles with a finned style late 14-bolt housings with the typical old style bolt-on pinion retainer. They are pretty easy to spot once you know what to look for. These axles will take normal 14-bolt gears and lockers.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks for posting that info Metcalf. Good to know when hunting for a good replacement axel with disk brakes....:)

Boons

Still happy with your maddogs? Having second thoughts on getting a tire much bigger than 40". I don't understand why pitbull doesnt make a 40" radial, the 38.5 maddog is to small and the 41.5 rocker is too big...Seems only the extremely overpriced like to make 40" radials. Anyways, my eye is pretty well set on the 38.5" maddogs. I'll have lots of gear with 4.56 and shouldn't have to sweat to much on breakage.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Still like them. I have had them through just about every kinda condition and they have done well for me.

They are tall for a 38.5 also. I think even on my 9" wheels they are over 39" tall.

Tread seems to be wearing well.

I would buy them again

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
When you drove past me on the highway in Durango, headed south near the USBR office, the growl was appreciable. However, the overall appearance of your truck was great. Loved the big tires with little lift. :ylsmoke:

kfgk14

Adventurer
From what I've read, dodges have issues with the front end's durability and longevity. Have you found this to be the case? And, if so, could this be rectified by swapping in a Chevy/Ford kingpin D60, and would this swap improve durability? I assume new spring hangers would be necessary, and modifications to the steering. Would that be worth the investment, or is beefing up the Dodge axle a better option?

Thanks.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
On this generation truck....not a problem.

The front axle is a kingpin style dana 60 almost identical to the GM version, just about 2" narrower with slightly different brakes. There where some odd D61 versions with 3.07 gears from what I have heard, but still basically the same thing.

Mine has over 300,000 miles with very little issue. I should probably rebuild the kingpins soon.....300K is still a pretty good service life on those parts.

Dustin Olson

I really like your truck man!!! Working on piecing together an '80's chevy crew cab with a p pump 12 valve!!! You have given me alot more ideas!!! Def want to cut the fenders like you did and stuff some of those XML's under it!!! Good work and I love how you use the truck daily, same as what I have to do with mine so my build (when it starts) will be fast and furious to get the cummins in and drive able, but after that I will slowly do the rest of my LONGGGG list of stuff i wanta do!!! Keep up the good work!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, the truck has been great overall for what I have invested in it.

All in all this truck is probably close to 'done'. It all depends on how long I want to keep it. I have had a yearning for something a little bit newer/nicer/etc lately. No big rush though, this one just keeps going and going and going.....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Did you see the '03 Drummond (huntsonora) just scored? It is sweet! Don't part with your 1st gen if you get a newer one. I think you would regret it later... (damn, missed 734) :elkgrin:

Dustin Olson

well if you do ever want to sell it, lemme know!!! id be interested!!! My cousin lives in Lake City, CO. I wouldnt sell it if i were you!! its a neat truck!!! =) i'd buy it if you were sellling for sure though! what is the backspace on the rims you have, btw?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior