Project: Doitall Dodge

Heavy44TRT

Glad you got it thawed out.

I have been thinking about the gelling problem. I use an anti gel like ya'll, but like in your case, sometimes it is not enough. I also carry a bottle of diesel 911 and a spare fuel filter. If the fuel filter with fuel freezes, you can replace the filter and fill it with the diesel 911. This should allow it to start. I have never tried this, but I know it would be a pain to replace the filter when it is frozen. I carry a Honda 2000 watt generator in the back with a battery charger and an old hair dryer from my wife. My current plan, in case of gelling, is to run the generator to power the block heater, charge the batteries, and use the hair dryer to thaw the fuel filter. I was at NAPA a few days ago to get heating pads for the batteries when I saw some heating pads that are made to be siliconed to oil pans. I got to thinking about an idea to silicon one of these small heating pads around the fuel filter. That way, when I have my truck plugged in, the fuel filter is being heated also.
What do you think? It seams like it would work.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I've done the 911 additive and changed the fuel filter before. Once the engine sucks itself dry and you air lock the injectors you HAVE to bleed everything.

This last time my truck was plugged in on the timer for about 4 hours prior to the morning startup. The fuel in the filter was liquid but the lift pump could not get fuel up from the tank.

If you could gently heat the tank and filter that would be best.

Heavy44TRT

I knew about having to bleed when you run out of fuel, but until you mentioned it, I did not think about needing to do it when the fuel gels. Back to the drawing board. Maybe a small heated tank like people are doing for alternative fuels. That way you could heat the fuel on the coldest days.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
With the right fuel its not really an issue, with the wrong fuel it sucks.

A smaller heated tank could be a good solution. I thought about doing something similar for biodiesel in the winter. I guess the interesting part is how you power the heaters. Plugging in at home is easy, but running a generator while on trips is kinda a pain. You then have to carry gasoline, space, etc.

They make diesel fired heaters that could work. Basically you just leave that on at night and it could circulate warm coolant to keep the fuel from gelling and/or keep the inside of your camper warm.

flexiheep

The vegi oil folks warm their tanks with coolant lines through the tank. That would help while driving, with a plug in heater patch at home you would just have to warm the tanks while parked at work or other place you couldn't plug in. A diesel powered water heater would be cool, or even an rv propane heater with a small circulation pump if you only used it for 30 min or something to take the chill off. The rv heater would also have a 110 input for parking at home too.

I'll just leave the cummins parked and drive a gas rig when it is that cold.

How old is your battery? I have cranked on my 93 for quiet a while on a normal group 31 without killing it. I wonder how a pair of golf cart batteries would work? Or just putting two group 24 sized batteries should get you about 50% more cca and reserve I would think.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Old. The battery has been in the truck since I bought it :) I did crank on it for a while.....and it was cold......it just didn't last.

I think I may go to two grouped batteries run in parrallel just so I can buy replacement AGM batteries at any auto parts house.......or replacements if they are under warranty.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Old. The battery has been in the truck since I bought it :) I did crank on it for a while.....and it was cold......it just didn't last.

I think I may go to two grouped batteries run in parrallel just so I can buy replacement AGM batteries at any auto parts house.......or replacements if they are under warranty.

Do it! So I can copy it. My battery used to be fine but now that it is old it just isn't quite enough anymore on those cold days. I think a second wired to it would get it back to bombproof.

Bogie

Observer

IMG_0460.JPG

Using a solenoid, which is the most flexible, allowing charging of the main batt only, charging both batts, and connecting both batts using the aux batt for power when the main is dead.The downside of using a solenoid by itself is thet both batts must be the same type so they have equial charge rates and wont draw current from one another. Solenoids need to be rated for continuous duty around 300 amps with a 600 amp surge capacity.

selonid_wiring.JPG

Sel_indicator.JPG

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This old dodge chugs on.

Nothing major to report really. I think the 1st time I really towed anything with the low pressure piston lift pump was towing my Willys project over to EJS a few weeks back. I kinda babied it a bit on the way over but came back home working it pretty hard. The new fuel pump made a difference for sure. I have never been able to hold 4th/60mph up the grades coming back 'up' from Moab to Durango. This time I as able to hold the hills MUCH better.

One of these days I need to give this truck a little more power....and then probably a clutch....and then maybe some more gearing.....then some better brakes.

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
No spring or turbo yet. I have had the parts on the shelf for a LONG time though :)

Well this was posted back in November. Then it was all wintery. But NOW surely Spring MUST be in the air right? :wings: ("No. And quit calling me Shirley.") Chop-chop!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It's not like I haven't been doing anything......I just haven't been doing anything on the Dodge :sombrero:

Anthony24x

Observer
Somewhat will jumping from 15lbs of boost to 30 do for this truck? Tat in addition to the new 3200 spring might make you forget about re-gearing.... You going to make time this summer to make it happen?
Awesome thread by the way. I have a dakota and really didn't want it five feet in the air for bigger tires but my damn fenders are too small to do what you did!
I feel your pain about the ARB's my truck was $1800 and doubling the buying price seems silly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior