Project: Doitall Dodge

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Man I love your rig!

Thank you very much. For being so simple it just seems to do its job well.

Somewhat will jumping from 15lbs of boost to 30 do for this truck? Tat in addition to the new 3200 spring might make you forget about re-gearing.... You going to make time this summer to make it happen?
Awesome thread by the way. I have a dakota and really didn't want it five feet in the air for bigger tires but my damn fenders are too small to do what you did!
I feel your pain about the ARB's my truck was $1800 and doubling the buying price seems silly

more boost will make more power I hope. I think the smaller exhaust housing on the HE351cw will also help with low end spool.

If I change to a later model GM 14-bolt rear axle I have to regear. They don't make 3.55 gears for 14-bolts. The factory choices where 3.73 or 4.10.

You could cut a dakota. You might just need to move the axles around a little more. There is always a way to get larger tire on :)

For this vehicle I just can't justify getting ARBs for it. Maybe someday. Honestly, a winch would do it more good for utility. It doesn't get pushed THAT hard off road most of the time. I have other toys for that.

bftank

Explorer
just curious why a 14 specifically and not a 70,80, or sterling? all of these can be had with 3.55s in them.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
just curious why a 14 specifically and not a 70,80, or sterling? all of these can be had with 3.55s in them.

The last of the GM 14-bolts had factory disc brakes and are just about the perfect 67" width to match the OEM front axle which is 67.5" wide. The 14-bolt also has the 3rd pinion bearing like a 9" which I think adds a good deal of strength without having to step up to a 11.5" ring gear like in the D80. I have a D70 now. The 2nd gen D80's are too wide in my opinion. The ford sterling is an option but I don't think its as strong as the 14-bolt, I don't know if they ever made a sterling with 8 on 6.5 and factory rear disc brakes?

hackster

Adventurer

My guess would be that it is a bolt in affair for the most part and it has the right width to match the front D60 exactly 67" WMS. Regearing the front to 3.73 would not be that bad. But the reason I am going to do the late model 14 bolt is that they are a very very strong axle, and not that expensive. Most people are pretty proud of their dana 70's and 80's and have you looked a pricing for parts for an 80? They are really expensive.

I am on the lookout for a late 14 bolt for my first gen as well.

Love the truck, now get that new turbo on there, my truck is a blast to drive with the boost turned down to 32 =)

Wish I would have held out for the 351 instead of the 341. It should net you some low EGT numbers, at least lower than the 341 I am running.

Sean

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My guess would be that it is a bolt in affair for the most part and it has the right width to match the front D60 exactly 67" WMS. Regearing the front to 3.73 would not be that bad. But the reason I am going to do the late model 14 bolt is that they are a very very strong axle, and not that expensive. Most people are pretty proud of their dana 70's and 80's and have you looked a pricing for parts for an 80? They are really expensive.

I am on the lookout for a late 14 bolt for my first gen as well.

Love the truck, now get that new turbo on there, my truck is a blast to drive with the boost turned down to 32 =)

Wish I would have held out for the 351 instead of the 341. It should net you some low EGT numbers, at least lower than the 341 I am running.

Sean

We must have been typing at the same time. You pretty much nailed the 14-bolt thing.

I may step up to 40s on the next set of tires so 4.10s might not be a bad idea. I would like to swap in a close ratio 3rd gen 6-spd some day also so either 3.73 or 4.10 would work well. 4.10 D60 low pinion gears are pretty much dime a dozen used for a cheap butt like me.

The 351 should be a good improvement for sure. I do really need to stop and give the old girl some love. I have been neglecting it since I have been driving the flat fender so much lately.

Your truck makes mine look like a big pile of poo though, good job!

bftank

Explorer
The last of the GM 14-bolts had factory disc brakes and are just about the perfect 67" width to match the OEM front axle which is 67.5" wide. The 14-bolt also has the 3rd pinion bearing like a 9" which I think adds a good deal of strength without having to step up to a 11.5" ring gear like in the D80. I have a D70 now. The 2nd gen D80's are too wide in my opinion. The ford sterling is an option but I don't think its as strong as the 14-bolt, I don't know if they ever made a sterling with 8 on 6.5 and factory rear disc brakes?

good reasons. im assuming you are after a factory parking brake and discs. as well. carry on, thanks for satisfying my curiousity.

Anthony24x

Observer
After spending days reading this thread I went and located your flat fender thread... It all makes sense where you spent all your time now :)

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The Dodge got a little love today.....just a little. I don't want it to start thinking that I am going to start some huge buildup on it again!

'
The spare tire had been floating around for a few years. I tried a few different things but came back to this. I can't think of a better location for a 37"+ spare tire on a full size truck. I built the mount to tilt the tire slightly at about 10 degrees so it would tuck over into the corner better. This takes up the least amount of floor space in the bed area. It also tucks it right behind the drivers head so that you don't see it in the mirror. Win Win. The mount was just a bunch of scrap stuff I had around and is bolted to the bed over one of the full width bed floor crossmembers.

I also rotated a few tires around.

And I have a new oil leak on the engine I need to figure out....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
One more....

A week or so ago the knobs pulled off the window crank levers. I guess 20-30 years was enough on them. I made new ones....

A little bit of scrap aluminum on the lathe for a new minutes and I had a nice manly pair of knobs :) The back was drilled and tapped for a 10-24 stainless screw that bottomed out in the threads to form the mounting shaft. It ended up working great....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Its so good to see this truck still being taken care of! Love this build

Thank you. It has been a good truck. I am trying to distract myself from starting another project by working on the truck. I hope I can get a few things done before fall and winter rolls in.

XRrider

Observer
Cool truck! Really like the no lift/big tire with clearance look. Glad the thread got bumped up to the top recently or I never would have seen it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Cool truck! Really like the no lift/big tire with clearance look. Glad the thread got bumped up to the top recently or I never would have seen it.

Thank you. It has been a great concept. The larger tires really seem to make the truck much more mobile off road in the sand and snow. In general its hard to beat a good old american regular cab longbox one ton truck for versatility.....

hackster

Adventurer
Is it just the photo or is that crank giant? If it is as big as it looks i love it!! Looks like a piston from a lawnmower =)

It's interesting to me how more and more peoples build's that I look at are the guys who are like me and build pretty much everything themselves.

Keep it up, and what is this new project that you are talking about? Seems like there is more that you want to tell me about it.

Sean

hackster

Adventurer
P1010068.jpg

Dang little Willys is always getting in the way!

Current pic of the truck as of yesterday. Still the same.

Reading back through the 80 some pages of this thread landed me on this.....

I have never seen the little willy you have talked about. I heard about this thing in Moab and saw some pics of it in the mag. Its awesome! You get out to Easter Jeep every year? We should definately hook up next year and grab a cold one, maybe hit up some trails together.

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan